New Captain?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks as if Cap'n Bobby may start on the bench, with his starting central defender spot taken by Sean Franklin. If so, does the squad get a new captain? And who should that be? Franklin is experienced and, as a defender, is not likely to be subbed out, so I suppose he is a candidate. But wouldn't it be rubbing salt in Boswell's wounds to make his replacement the captain? My guess: Marcelo Sarvas, with Franklin stepping up when Marcelo is subbed out (which may happen regularly since he's 35).

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hamid or Birnbaum for me ...

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can see them in that role, as long as Hamid keeps his temper under control. Birnbaum is pretty new but he's not a kid (26) and has played his way onto the USMNT. Which means he will miss some matches, I suppose.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    wasn't it Birnbaum in presesason?

5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely at least in the final game v Philly

my money is on him

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I can see it. I think he has leadership qualities and his USMNT call ups give him prestige. And as far as age goes, Perry Kitchen just turned 25 and he's captain of Hearts.

7. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I vote for the Luciano he is wearing the #10 this season.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure I'm in favor of "a" captain - but Birnbaum seems the #1 choice for one of the main captains over the season.
    I like someone in midfield, but not sure I'd pick any one of those guys consistently. Not sure Jeffrey has the cachet :) Sarvas does, but also a strange temper. Acosta has better things to worry about. Sam and Nyarko will be running too hard to be wasting breath arguing with refs and barking orders at players :)

Is there any real purpose to a soccer team's captain these days other than picking heads/tails? Are they the only ones who can question a referee's family's marital status without receiving a card?

Winoman repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Birnbaum - the team sent out a clickbait tweet, now you don't have to click it.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good choice. As a former defender, I approve (just as I approved Bobby B.).

fatbastard repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So for anyone who has played at "a high level," does it really matter who is captain?

12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def not a high level (just high school, competitively), but as with any leadership role, you want someone who everyone respects. Hard to respect your captain if you don't as a person and player. Important too to be on the field. I think if Bobby wasn't getting benched, he'd still be captain.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've always liked the idea of a defender captain. You usually need the motivation factor to support defense. Nobody has to yell that hard to get people to push into the attack!

Boloni86 repped this.
  14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psyched to see Birnbaum get the armband. Solid player. Also good to see one of ours have a regular slot on the USMNT.

fatbastard repped this.