New Beginnings - The Arsenal vs. Leicester City, Friday, August 11, 2017 1945 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Aug 7, 2017.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    in defense of xhaka, elneny sold him out on that with an idiotic pass to a guy 5 yards away that STILL managed to be wayward and wrongly weighted. pretty much all xhaka can really do in that instance was poke it away from goal.
    had some nice moments out wider when giroud came in as well. that part impressed me.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Really? After Leicester's 3rd goal I was shocked that we won. I wouldn't have been surprised for either a draw or loss.

daedalus and Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  3. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Overall bad performance. This team has not changed at all.

People talk about the defence not being first choice. First, our defensive tactics will always be suspect so that will minimize the quality of our better defensive players. Second, this team will and has always been littered with injuries. To think this makeshift defence won't likely play many games for us is funny. Here's hoping they become world beaters!

So much shite in midfield. That's another mess.

Good on Laca to make something out of the shit cross from Elneny. Also glad to see him get off the mark quickly.

4. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Alexander Lacazette... we are waiting in the wings for you. You could never back down... you never learned to take your time!

flyerhawk repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    He certainly seemed to be a off his game, yet he completed more passes, including 6 key passes, than anyone except Xhaka. I think that sometimes the ball flows so easily through Ozil that you don't notice him. What we do notice with Ozil are the spectacular moments and the bad moments.

Serengeti_Boy and daedalus repped this.
  6. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70% possession, 27 shots, 10 shots on net and Leicester had 3 shots on net and that is an overall bad performance?

Methinks you are going to have a miserable year this year if your standard is notably higher than that.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Building on what others have added...

- Cech was really poor I felt, and was at fault for the first goal and possibly the 3rd. Possible he felt the need to overcompensate for the slack defending?

- How can this team have so much depth in the midfield yet consistently fail to manage that part of the field/game against less-than-elite clubs? I would LOVE to have the same 3-4 players starting 90% of the games for 2-3 years and see what stability could bring.

- I do love the fight back from the team and the grit from the attack. 20+ shots, 10 on goal and 4 goals is obviously production from the offense.

- Not a good game but a good win. We've assessed before that Arsenal will need more than 78pts. to compete for the title, so wins like this will go a loooong way toward that. Winning some against the top teams will be critical, but sealing the deal against "lesser" opponents will be just as important.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  8. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    This team is destined for 5th/6th if the continue to play like they did. But hey, maybe you are okay with 5th/6th.

cantona94 repped this.
  9. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    We don't have great midfielders. Ramsey will never get any better and is not good enough for the role he plays. Wilshere is meh, a dummy, and injury prone. El Neny should have never been purchased. Coq is not starter quality and should never start. Who else? None are world class or even top quality. Depending on how Xhaka performs this season, he could be our best midfielder, but other than that no...sorry. This "stability" you speak of would bring consistent mediocrity from this group.

10. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal dominated the game. But the make shift backline make a few errors and were punished for EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I'm not suggesting that this was our finest performance but a game in which we dominated play and ultimately came from behind to win is hardly the black eye you are trying to portray it.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following mustafi's fitness. I assumed he was being rested for some reason. But mor than that, since I saw he was on the bench, I figured he must be fit enough to play. Unlike Per. We badly missed a true CB today.

12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm inclined to agree with this. Specifically, even the "bad" Ozil is still a good footballer, even for a team at Arsenal's level. I don't think we should be counting on Ozil for leadership. What we ought to do is upgrade the places where upgrades are available, in today's case Moe and Welbz.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Props to Wenger for changing g the shape and mki g the right subs

Maybe we should try starting giroud and laca

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but then again Giroud has been like gold coming off the bench in the last year or so.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aerial outlet all game though

Some of our passes were awful and the 343 tends to be a quick in transition formation rather than a possession based one I find

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our biggest problems today were defensive and giving the ball away. See Rob Holding. Our forward play was pretty good.

Whatchu doin up so early Biggie?

17. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Not for me. I remember writing in here maybe 5 years ago that the key to making Giroud work was a pitch count, and nothing in the interim has happened to make me change my mind.

18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we bought Giroud I thought he was going to be a strong backup to RvP. Then I don't remember what happened to RvP.....

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wake up at half 5 in the weekdays so 7 am is a lie in for me

Gotta look after my little one and her big bro

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Taking off only cb on the field for a striker. Wenger thinks brass ones are for pansies.

thebigman repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's exactly my point. (In hindsight I could've worded my offering better.) For a team supposedly oriented around a posession-based offense it's been ages since they've had a midfield capable of properly executing that scheme consistently and at the level intended. Wenger's over reliance on marginal talent or inconsistent/injury prone players means all the other tweaking will only fix the edges while the core of the product struggles. Like dropping a cheap engine into a Ferrari chassis.

cantona94 and mebeSajid repped this.
  22. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had we drawn or lost, there would be a lot of discussion about the handball in the box midway throuhg the second half on Sead's attempted cross from the touchline. That no-call could have been very costly. On replay it was a clear PK, but at game speed I can understand how it could be missed.

Overall, I have to say that Mike Dean actually called a pretty good game. Other than the missed call above, I can't think of any other notable errors.

23. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Our biggest problem is going to be a very overrated midfield. Coq and El Nenny are garbage . They have no business playing for any decent top side in terms of starting and I would say even providing depth.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dean also didn't have a ton to actually do. There weren't many heavy tackles or other decisions on the margins.

25. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But how often can we say that about him?

That's my main point. The fact we won a sloppy game, with a clear handball that should have been a penalty in our favor, refed by Mike Dean - - rarely (ever?) happens.

ArsenalMetro repped this.