New advertising bar

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by kanonier, Jun 20, 2008.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well. I won't be buying anything else from the Bigsoccer Shop that's for sure.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    clearly ugly and buggy. we pulled it.

3. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks dude. Top or bottom of page, cool. In the middle, no good.

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    muchas gracias

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks, Huss! Didn't want to assume it was there on purpose when I started this thread. Appreciate your response.

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks, Huss!

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's back, although not with pictures this time

8. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's back. Majorly toned down. And with the links actually working. And not showing to Platinum ad free members.

Hopefully you won't find it too bad...

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ads at the top- ads at the bottom- and ads in the middle now (well, again).

Sorry mate- its not the look of them- whether they have pics or not- its just the fact they break the continuity of the posts, which I know is great for the advertisers, but not great for the site........

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Not too bad? It makes for crap usability. I'm sure it does wonders for the click through rate. Not that people mean to click on it though.

11. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The way you'll get me to buy jerseys from the Shop is not by advertising it more, but rather by lowering prices and getting authentic numbering/lettering.

The new ads are less intrusive, but I doubt they'll help your business much, since everybody who posts here already knows all about the store.

12. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Not to mention more of a selection.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Yeah this is pretty horrible. I'm prepared to tolerate any amount of ads on a page as the price I pay for free access to a great resource.

These kinds of ads, however, are intrusive and actively damage the usability of the site. Putting ads in the middle of threads on a forum is as in-your-face annoying and unpleasant as you can get. This is a very bad move - BigSoccer has always had a very intelligent ad policy, but with this one you're just going to drive posters away.

Previously I have always used BS Shop as my preferred overseas online retailer. If these ads remain, I will probably stop using it altogether.

14. Skizz

Skizz Guest

The advertisers are really pissing me off now. Wrecking the format of the forum with their crappy ads that do NOT make me want to buy fron the shop any more than normal, and getting rid of my daily supply of boobage while at work....what next?

15. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I gotta agree - the ads in the middle of the flow of posts is pretty damn obnoxious - and makes me a WHOLE lot less likely to ever buy anything from the shop.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Thirded...

17. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    THIS SUCKS. [​IMG]

18. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Guys,

We hear you and understand that some will find it annoying. We have worked hard to make it as small as possible. We have marketing obligations and financial needs that drive decisions like this. As noted in this thread, many forums have ads in this space, and they are usually much more annoying than a line of small text links. That doesn't diminish your criticism however.

Regarding authentic lettering, we have had that for some time now, as you can see in our jersey options:

Customization Options [?]

Front Number [?] $1.99
    Back Number [?] $7.99
    Authentic Numbering [?] $1.99
    Back Name [?] $7.99
    Authentic Lettering [?] $2.49

19. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    But it's heat-applied printing, right? A certain competitor offers the felt-embroidered stuff that isn't nearly as apt to come off if you wash the thing often or play in it.

20. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Much smaller now than it was last night. Thanks for changing it.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The letters are felt AND heat applied. I’m not sure how else you would expect us to add these to the jersey other than heat application.

I’m sure the competitors are the exact same as ours. We all buy from the same company that owns the rights to manufacture these.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I'm not willing to pay for platinum membership and go totally ad-free, so this is an acceptable compromise.

23. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Fair enough - to be honest I've only ordered one shirt from you and that was two or three years ago, so I'll try again.

24. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Woohoo! :)

Yes, we have worked hard to improve the shop and our offerings. Not only are we up to 17,000 items and authentic lettering but the delivery speed is much improved and we run regular sales.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've a question about the store that I have long wondered - not sure it ought to be public though. Mind a PM?