New 2017 Secondary Jersey

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Doop, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #101 ericlfd, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2017
    I like it. I'm in Chester county today so I may swing by the store

File this under "that's so union"

I stopped at the team store to check out the jerseys and was informed that they will not carry the new authentic white jersey in the stadium.... Ever. They said Adidas upped the minimum order to 12000 lol. So, if you want an authentic in every jersey from now on, the team store isn't the place. On a side note the replica version looks great. The bimbo logo isn't the sticker, its just the letters with the fabric behind it.

Mad Hattah repped this.
  2. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI...Chester, PA is not in Chester County, PA. I know, totally crazy, right? I'd just hate to see you spending the afternoon driving around West Chester looking for the stadium.

3. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Lol thanks for the heads up. I've been there once or twice. I live in Philly so I'll be going right past the stadium on the way home from seeing some accounts.

4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12,000 is a lot of jerseys. . .

Any idea how many authentic "no win whites" from 2015-2016 were sold in total? My best guess would be less than 12,000.

5. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's a ton of jerseys. But what league lets their jersey manufacturer do this to one of their teams? I'll tell you why. Its because fanatics.com runs fulfillment for everything and they are taking over like a monopoly

cwelch999 repped this.
  6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

thomas19064 repped this.
  7. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, between that and being told "No" on your own jersey designs so Adidas can use bland, generic templates instead, who is working for who here? Actually, I guess I just answered my own question: if Adidas is a paying sponsor, then they're the customer the Union and MLS work for them?

Union42 repped this.
  8. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Maybe they can convince MLS to start making marketable jerseys.

lopezzzz and Union42 repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if the monochrome crest is Black or Navy... I would hope it's Navy....

10. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Its navy. I got one ha. Its actually really nice. One of the better jerseys we've had

Mad Hattah and thomas19064 repped this.
  11. Moke Forzi

Moke Forzi New Member

May 19, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This might be some kind of adidas thing instead of a Union thing. Adidas does NBA jerseys also, and they dont sell current authentic sixers jerseys on the official nba website, the official sixers website or fanatics.com. Only replicas. Here is an article from a few weeks ago saying that authentics will be available in stores but not replicas, so its the exact opposite of the Union jersey situation

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...is-about-to-get-more-expensive.html?mobi=true ..

My guess is that the Union sell the majority of authentic jerseys online so they'd rather have them all on there. Still, with 12000 you think they could throw SOME of them into the official team store.

ericlfd repped this.
  12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the adidas deal is cash, the rest is services and equipment. MLS gets the same treatment, and that's every team, that clubs like Chelsea, Bayern, and Real Madrid get. That means, the teams get the premium authentic uniforms, training gear, and the use of the top design staff. Now, all of that makes sense when you're Real Madrid and you're going to sell 100s of thousands of shirts a year. The Union will do well, but I think limiting the services provided in design and setting a higher order quota to save production cost is a way for adidas to limit the costs of the deal. In other leagues, smaller adidas clubs get glorified off the rack gear like the replica shirts. I certainly hope this doesn't signal adidas going that direction if it renews the agreement.

cwelch999 repped this.
  13. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #113 ericlfd, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    The situation for the union is that Adidas is telling the team they must purchase 12000 for public sale. so the team just aren't buying them at all. Mls runs the union online store, they stripped it from Angelos a few years ago. The MLS.com store is run by fanatics.com. They also do like every other league and sport. So, the team won't carry authentics at all

14. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Mad Hattah repped this.
  15. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just saw the Vancouver Rain jersey. Like it or not (I do), I wish there was someone designing the Union kit with the balls to pitch triangular polka dots or anything remotely interesting as a design concept.

lopezzzz repped this.
  16. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Its basically one guy from Adidas doing all of em

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would assume he gets a fair amount of input from the team about what he's designing, though. Some teams like the Whitecaps fairly consistently have interesting designs (like the wave pinstripes a couple years back). The Union, on the other hand, favors colorblocks and toilet paper designs.

Edit: These are kind of cool, for the ironic wearer: http://www.macron.com/int/en/1-fc-u...lor=&size=23&gclid=CPrD88TejdICFZaFswodAVgKrA

18. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, every new kit this year has been pretty shitty... some are "meh" level.. others are just bad.

Union42 repped this.
  20. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    buzzkiller23 repped this.
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. I'm digging the Revs' new halves shirt.

22. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we are relieved that our new kits are 'meh' rather than crap...when we should be pissed that they are 'meh' rather than what we all have been asking for.

cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  23. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It quickly went from being a decent design to a flop in my book when there was no consensus in the press releases as to what flag it was supposed to be an interpretation of (although it's obviously supposed to be the New England flag)

"a tribute to the flag of New England, which the club adopted as a secondary logo in 2012."

"Inspired by the American flag"

"the red and white kit represents the Revolution’s pride in representing all of New England"

"a bold interpretation of the United States flag"

Mad Hattah repped this.
  24. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about the symbolism, I just care what it looks like... it's an okay concept but it isn't executed well. I think it's ugly.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States