Need Help; High School Fees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Christopher, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Yes, but it is Hawaii. I'll pay the schools.

Chas (Psyatika) and aaronriley repped this.
  2. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was going to say, isn't cost of living massively expensive why are you making less than rural Oklahoma.

oxwof repped this.
  3. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    Why are we getting less than everyone else? The reasons are:
    1. Be glad you get paid anything, soccer doesn't charge admission so the schools don't make any money.
    2. Our self appointed administrator for soccer officials works for one of the schools, you keep AD's happy and stay in power by not rocking the boat. (2/3 of our college referees refuse to do high school because of this person)
    3. Barely enough referees, but too many do it for their ego and they would do it for nothing if they get assigned enough plum games.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westchester/Rockland (NY) Soccer Referee Fees 2014:

Varsity: $106
    Junior Varsity: $83
    Frosh: $83
    Modified: $75
    Modified fifth quarter: +$22
    Work Alone: fee and a half

Scrimmage: $64

Travel fee: $40
    Late fee (over half hour): $30
    Late fee (over one hour): $53
    Turnback fee: $0
    Turnback fee (day of game): $0

5. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Recycling an old thread

The new 2 year budgeting cycle for the high schools is starting up again locally. A dedicated effort will be made to bring our high schools fees up to market in comparison to other states around the country. I was wondering if you can share your current high school fee schedule for varsity matches. Please include details on travel reimbursement and whether it is a 2-man or 3 man system utilized.

For Colorado,
    Varsity 3 man (whistles) Game fee of $52, plus $2.00 travel fee.
    All three officials receive same fee, thus no differentiation for CR or ARs

6. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Northern Maryland: One Center, two ARs: $77 for center, $51 for ARs. No travel reimbursement.

7. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HS is always three man crew, middle school is dual

Varsity Referee: $75
    AR: $55
    (On rare occasion we have a Varsity dual it's $70 each)
    JV Referee: $53
    AR: $42
    (On rare occasion we have JV dual it's $55 each)
    Middle School Referees $50 each

Mileage depends on school, generally determined by distance from the main zip code of our area. Split between the crew (except if one person drives, etc..) and paid for every level. Closest school is $14, farthest is 25 miles and pays $38. Any school not on the list is $0.50 per mile.

8. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just got a new contract in scholastic sports here in Central NY for all sports officials. All varsity officials in every sport get $90 per game plus $15.50 in mileage. Most games are duals. I haven't seen it yet, but supposedly, in three-person crews, the CR get a full fee while the two ARs are paid 70% in the regular season. In the playoffs, all members of a three-person crew get the full fee.

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Carolina 3 man ($61/$61/$61) and no mileage.

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    We have a little different system. There are rates per official that the schools pay, which vary due to size of the school and varsity v. sub-varsity. However, most if not all associations actually pay differently. AR's get less than R's when its DSC, duals differently than DSC, and some split the size of schools differently than the state mandated fee. Mileage is separate. The commissioner's fee is deducted from the gross pay (without mileage).

11. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    In Texas the pay is a combination of position (referee or AR), length of game, and distance traveled. They just changed to a system where everyone gets travel, regardless of whether they drove.

Referee pay is $50 or $60 (25 minutes or less versus longer)
    AR pay is $35 or $40 (again, 25 minutes or less versus longer.

Travel is $15 for up to 30 miles. $30 for 31-60, $45 for 61-90, 60 for 91-120 and point for schools that are more than 120 away.

Those distances are driving distance from the center point of the chapter to the high school. It doesn't matter if the ref lives in town, they get the same amount. On the other hand, if they travel to a school close to the center point, it doesn't matter how far they travel.

Also, the schools pay the referees directly, some using Arbiter-pay, some cutting checks, some doing direct deposit.

12. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WI (in Western WI anyway)

HS V Center $85
    AR V $ 65

JV Varies a bit some do 3 man some do dual. If it is 3 man usually Center gets $65 AR's get $50.

Duels get $60 a piece.

Some towns give mileage, but only the really desperate ones up north that have problems getting officials. That is the SWEET one if you want most likely lower level soccer, but a check for $170 is a nice incentive.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Also not that assignor fees are the responsibility of the referee. Different assigning chapters handle it differently. Mine is $3.50 per game regardless of level or game fee. Having grown up in Chicago, it feels like a kick back...

IASocFan repped this.
  14. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Illinois (southern)
    Fee Schedule for Fall 2018 $65 for Referee position (Two man or Center Referee) $55 for Assistant Referee position (Varsity Game only) $50 for JV/Freshman Two man system $120 JV/V Two man system for both games $105 JV/V (JV Two Man) (Varsity Assistant referee)

15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Varsity $55/45/45. One travel allowance per day of $8.
    JV $10 less.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Varies by conference and assignor here.

Where I work:
    Varsity 3 refs $72 each single game, $132 double header
    Varsity dual $82 each single game, $151 double header
    Lower level $58 solo, $50 each dual
    No travel.

17. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Eastern Connecticut - pay is per ref - no mileage. 7% assignor fee and 1 varsity game fee for dues. Goes up every year same percentage as teacher pay. I am told we have the best ref pay in the country.

Public:
    Varsity - $93.97 dual (80 min)
    JV - $61.11 dual (80 min)
    Middle School $85 solo (60 min) + (add $17 if they play a 20 min "jv" game)

Prep:
    Varsity - $106 3man (90 min I think)

18. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    In my conference, it’s 84 for each in a varsity dual, but 59 in a JV/Frosh dual. NJ.

Solo sub varsity is 84.

19. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 paces or 20?

jdmahoney, dadman, roby and 3 others repped this.
  20. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Looks like I need to come visit the in-laws for a week every season...

21. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    UIL prohibits schools from paying for assignors. Their time is worth something so you have to come up with some system. I think UIL hints that scrimmage fees should go to that, but refs don't work those equally so that's not all that helpful.

If you've ever assigned you know it's a thankless job. It's the same amount of work regardless of the level or referee pay. I know some of your assignors. I'm sure they'd appreciate your feedback.:ROFLMAO:

dadman repped this.
  22. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, let me know your schedule and I am sure my crew can fit you in for a match or 4. I think I am on about match 26 or 27 this season so far. Almost all centers so I will gladly take a night off for these old(er) bones to get a rest.

23. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my high school association, each referee pays the assignor 4% of their gross pay, not including mileage, at the end of the high school season.

24. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This, in my view, is the problem. I suppose it is a matter of perspective, but my view is that the assignor is providing a service to the school, not a service to the referee.

25. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For either of you two. I’d be curious. How do they collect it? I feel like some referees would work the match and not pay the Assignors.
    Although, I agree with that it is a problem of the schools I think your perspective is skewed. From my understanding Referees are independent contractors that work the contract. The assignor are the one to get you the contract. They work for both you and the schools sort of like a broker.

Feel free to correct me anyone if I’m mistaken.