Need Help; High School Fees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Christopher, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

Apr 26, 2003
    In the past I have requested data from the forum participants in regard to referee fees for club play. And you guys were a great help at that time!

What I need help with here is the same thinking except for high school referees. I was just informed that we will be having this discussion at a meeting on Sunday evening. Any data any and all could provide me would be greatly appreciated so I can make a comparative presentation.

Thank you in advance!

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Alabama AHSAA Regular Season:

High School Varsity = 55.00 per Referee.

45.00 per Asst. Referee.

Junior Varsity = 45.00 per Referee.

35.00 per Asst. Referee.

Junior High (Grades 7-9) = 40.00 per Referee.

30.00 per Asst. Referee

Alternate (4th) Official = 25.00 per official

Mileage Allowance = $8.00 per official per day.
    Mileage Allowance (Over 60 Miles) = $10.00 per official per day.

Championship Playoffs:

The game fee per Referee for the Prelim Rounds will be $60.00 plus Mileage Allowance.

The game fee per Asst. Referee for the Prelim Rounds will be $50.00 plus Mileage Allowance.

The game fee per Center Referee for the State Finals will be $65.00 plus Mileage Allowance.

The game fee per Asst. Referee for the State Finals will be $55.00 plus Mileage Allowance.

3 Member Crew

(Per Official Per Day)

Sub-State Rounds Mileage Allowance $20.00

State Finals Round Mileage Allowance $30.00 (One Day Only)

3. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    North Carolina rates (we just got this increase this year)

Varsity: $61 per official
    JV: $56 per official (2-man)
    Middle School: Varies

Private schools pay more (up to $70 per official). We get paid the same amount no matter if we are center or AR. No mileage.

4. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Utah:

Varsity 3-man: $53 referee, $37 AR
    Varsity 2-man: $53 both
    Sub-varsity: $34 all positions (the vast majority of sub-varsity games are 2-man, but in the rare event that 3-man is used, everyone makes the same fee)
    Postseason: $56 all positions

Mileage: $0.42/mile for each mile over 50 miles round-trip for drivers, $0.07/mile for each mile over 50 miles round-trip for riders

http://www.uhsaa.org/officials/payscale.pdf

5. malackym

malackym Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Warren Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE Ohio

V - Center: 60.00
    V- AR: 45.00
    V - 2-man: 55.00
    JV-2 man: 40.00

Mark.

6. jmentzer

jmentzer Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florida ... we do dual or the double-dual system in regular season ... all double-dual, 3 whistle in post-season.

Regular season: Varsity: $51 per official; JV: $41 per official (our local association also charges $15 per official for travel to each site; travel fees vary amongst associations throughout the State).

Post-season: District $53 per official (plus $15 travel fee); Regionals $55 per official; Final Four $60 per official. Mileage is paid by the State for Regionals and Final Four at $.60 per mile per crew from the association's mailing address to the site of the game.

7. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In St. Louis Metro area we have the following brackets

JV/C-2man $49.50
    JV/C-2man Double Header $89.00
    Varsity/JV-2man Double Header $103.00
    Varsity-2man $65.50
    Varsity-2man Double Header $119.00
    Varsity-3man $64.50
    Varsity-3man Double Header $116.00

All these rates are per official. In the 3 Man system all 3 get paid the same.

There are also travel Incentives ranging from $8 to $18 depending on location.

We also have a handful Schools that pay a Flat Fee for our services.

8. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christopher, You may also try to get rate information on other high school sports in your area including football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc. Our comparison should also balance with existing sports in the system.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. Christopher

Christopher Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks Doug. I have a resource for those from another member who does basketball and baseball. Where we are though there is a genuine necessity to keep on point. Otherwise, they do not talk with us.

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    In our state, the schools pay the association. The association then distributes the money received to the officials. (Note that I said "distributes," not pays.) So, are you talking about what the schools pay or what the referees receive? For example, the schools pay a specified amount per official. However, what's passed along to the officials reflects centers and AR's getting different amounts. We're the only sport that pays officials differently, depending on their assignment for that game.

For our largest schools, varsity duals pay $60.00 each. Varsity centers get $76.00 and AR's get $43.00. The smallest schools' games pay $65.00 for the center, $38.00 for the AR's and $65.00 if there is one referee. For the largest schools, JV duals are $40.00 each, $48.00 if you are alone. JV2 duals are $37.00, $42.00 for a solo. The commissioner (assignor) gets 8% of these fees. Mileage is in addition to the fees (and not subject to the commissioner's percentage), with a minimum of $5.00 per official for mileage, per game. Mileage is figured from the center of town, not your actual miles driven. (e.g. if you live across the street from the high school, but it's out in the boondocks, you get a lot of mileage because it's measured from the center. For a JV2 game, where you are solo, you might get more mileage than game fee! And vice-versa (i.e. you live in the boondocks but your game is in the center of town, but the minimum saves you to some extent.)

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In New York State, the fees vary by which part of the state you are in. In Section III (Syracuse - Utica area) the fees are as follows:

Varsity - $83.00
    JV - $62.50
    Modified (junior high/middle school) - $54.00

.46 per mile for the official that travels the farthest

All games 2 man.

12. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are working to have the soccer fees as an average of the fees for the top 4-5 sports. That way we the officials & they the AD's don't have to go through this every year or 2. They set the fees for the other sports and the formula kicks out our fees. In other words, when they get a raise, so do we.

13. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgia:
    Varsity: Two man $62 per
    Three man $48 center, $24 for lines

JV: Two man $48 per

Travel fees during the regular season
    1 Official $20
    2 Officials $30
    3 Officials $35
    Add $5 for every official over three
    The pay chart doesn't specify how far you have to travel to be compensated.

State Playoffs: $420 per crew of four.
    I think it's broken down:
    Center: $120
    ARs: $110
    4O: $80
    No travel paid during playoffs.

I've only done state playffs once two years ago. I did a center, a line, and two 4Os and made $390. The money is nice. I just couldn't deal with the egos. Even though I was nominated by my association, I elected not to participate last year.

14. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WI can vary. Some schools pay more if trying to lure Referees. var center $85. A/R $55-65.( depending on school) Some schools pay milage but sometimes split that up between two Ref's if they travel from the same city (promoting ride sharing) Add another $5 during State tourney per game.

15. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Arkansas varies with the school. The state has a "recommended minimum" of $45 for the center and $30 for each AR (3 man crews whenever possible). Most schools pay $50-$55 for the center and $35-$40 for ARs, but there are a few holdouts at the minimum and a few that pay more than average. Mileage is pretty rare (basically only for schools that won't get referees without it), and the rates are set by the schools. The state tournament games pay a little more, with mileage as well.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The games I did this fall I was paid directly by the schools, I don't know how the assignor was compensated.
    I was paid $55/games for all games 9th grade, 10th grade and JV, all were solo assignments except one JV dual. I did one JV game solo for a private school league and was paid $65 for that one. The only varsity games I did were AR assignments for district playoffs and the checks came directly from the assignors for those, one was $64/game and the other $75.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That doesn't sound right for the three-man; it's less for three than for two.

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The total for the three-man is $144; I don't recall how it's split up.

19. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I work in both South Carolina & Georgia

South Carolina

Varsity Center $45
    Varsity AR $35

Travel...Minimum $9 and .45 per mile

Even though our base fees are lower in South Carolina we make up for it big time with the travel fees.

20. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chart says "Crew of three $48 and half game fee for sideline judges". The way I read that is $48 center and $24 lines. I could be wrong as Bubba points out. The norm is two man, but there are select schools within our jurisdiction that will pay for three. I've done both, but I never really asked about the exact numbers for three. It's only a couple of games per season, so the amount is really not that much. I'm not in it for the money anyway, but it's a nice bonus (until tax time comes).

21. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GSOA for Georgia is

Varsity 3 man $55 center $37 AR and Dual $55 each.
    JV Dual is $43 each
    Single Varsity is $64 JV $58.

We get mileage one way from home address to school address and it varies based on how many miles total the organization does - usually it amount to .50 or so a mile. No mileage for playoffs, as I recall pay was $120 for center, $110 for AR and $90 for 4th but I could be off on those numbers, I couldn't find my notes on it.

This is from my pay last season and the chart on the website, it may have gone up to what @refontherun and @Bubba Atlanta stated above, or it might be different associations pay.

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    As descirbed, those must be the schools trying to save money: 62 x 2 = 124 where as 48 +24 + 24 = 96 . . . . save $28 by having a trio . . . sideline judges?!?!

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #23 Bubba Atlanta, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    No, that's wrong. State recommendation for three-man is $48 x 3 = $144, plus travel. "Sideline judge" is apparently what they call a 4O — although I'm not aware of 4O's being used in anything other than state playoffs, for which the pay scale is different. I dunno, maybe in some regional playoffs ...

Note also that different associations may split up that "$48 x 3 plus travel" differently. I know ours does (i.e., what @camconcay posted above for last season, probably more or less the same for the coming season).

24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That certainly makes more sense . . .

25. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    Honolulu
    Varsity CR $40 AR $26
    JV - 2 man (gag) $33 each
    JV - CR $36 AR $25
    Intermediate - 2 man $30 each
    There is no mileage allowance, except for 4 schools which are 30 miles + from Honolulu. $5 (yes, $5 total) Oops forgot to mention that gasoline just went to $2.99 this week, first time under $3.00 in 7 years.

Hmm, and they wonder why no one is refereeing high school here.