Need help constructing a rebound wall!

Discussion in 'Coach' started by cwillia3, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cwillia3

cwillia3 New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I am looking to build a wall at my practice complex that players can use to warmup against and be able to pass balls against it from both sides. Has anyone built one of these? Any suggestions on construction material?

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Indoor or outdoor?

I'd say concrete would be best, wood requires a lot of maintenance from exposure.

I worry about liability of that thing tipping over, so make sure it's anchored securely. I imagine it as a tennis size rebounding wall that is 12 feet high, but I don't see a need. Maybe you can even get away with a four-five foot high wall.

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    why do they need to pass to it from both sides? if there are that many players, why aren't they just passing to each other?

5. cwillia3

cwillia3 New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    My thought was to have it used primarly for my younger players so I can work with them on technique striking the ball. I guess it wouldn't have to be double sided. I may try and make it 10-15 yds wide and only 4 ft high. I like the angles but that may be a little hard for the length I am looking at. Plus my structure would most likely be permanent. (posted cemented into ground)

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this meant as a team practice tool? If so, why not just forget about this and have the players practice with a partner who can receive and return the pass.

If not, then are the kids going to go to this practice space on their own outside of practice? That seems impractical, but just curious as to why you would want it to be installed permanently - and a bit jealous that you have such practice space available for said installation.

Rebounders are good tools for a player who wants to work on kicking on their own, but as soon as that player has someone else to work with, the value goes down IMHO. Much better to partner up with someone to learn both kicking and receiving in the same amount of time.

7. seansteele

seansteele Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Fresno, CA
    Perhaps the only thing I have in common with Bergkamp: http://inside.isoccer.org/2012/04/09/quick-tip-find-a-wall/

I would build a dbl sided wall the size of a regulation goal. I remember spending hours passing/shooting on one myself. You're given instant feedback on whether your attempt was quality or not.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Regarding the size of the wall, remember even when training with an actual goal you do not use the whole goal as a target. Wall or goal you identify specific spots as the target to aim for. To do that you only need enough wall to simulate the target. For example you would be simulating the goal area at the post plus about 3 feet. Often we do that by using two popup goals inside a regulation goal next to the post.

The advantage to a bigger wall is simply more rebound area so that players don't have to chase as many balls when they miss the target.

9. seansteele

seansteele Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Fresno, CA
    rca2 I've seen pro clubs have their walls painted into 6 quadrants with numbers on them. Obviously you can then limit or pick out which quadrant(s) to aim for. I suggested a full size because you can easily make it smaller, but it's a lot harder to take a small rebound wall and make it into a full size goal!

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Sean, I am not saying your suggestion was wrong. I was just reminding people of how we use the goal in training field players to strike the ball.

Personally I would not build a permanent wall, if I could which I can't. We use public space by permit and are not allowed to alter the facilities or perform maintenance even. You can use almost anything as a wall. For circuit training I have read recommendations to use benches tipped on thier side. If you have two, you can create a lane with a bench on each side of the player to practice 1-2's.

What I like, but haven't purchased, is a portable solution that provides the same dimensions that you are recommending. For team training something like this but in regulation size: http://shop.bigsoccer.com/gt5x10.html I haven't seen anything offered at what i consider a reasonable price. There is always PVC pipe for sale.

I can't find one now, but a couple of years ago someone offered a small sided goal that you could flip on its face and use the back as a rebounder goal to practice receiving balls in the air. The is what I thought was best for personal use.

11. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sounds similar to this http://www.soccerwave.com/

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
  13. jon Neill

jon Neill New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

14. jon Neill

jon Neill New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Look at sportsafeuk.com under installations for rebound wall

15. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    rca2 repped this.
  16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Don't use a wall. Go get those golf ball nets, they will last years and are the right size and provide dozens of different volley/pass training drills you can make up.

17. Speedy Gonzales

Speedy Gonzales New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd say do a search of the best soccer rebounders. Have a look at the design - You'll probably understand more than me! And then try something around that.

here's something that might help and get you started - http://portablesportscoach.com/best-soccer-rebounder-reviews/

You could save yourself a huge amount of time just going out and buying one, but if you're looking for a project then I say go for it and good luck!

Also, one last thing, as a few have said above, you might want to have a look at other sports rebounder and you might get some ideas from there.