[NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston article

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by El Naranja, Jun 22, 2008.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

I think it's a good article about the other "fan clubs" of Houston, even though they spend a ton of time on the 'stros.

2. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Fan Clubs of Houston

How hard is it to spell El Batallón?

Do these guys need a big sign or something?

[/spelling rant]

3. cte515

cte515 New Member

May 14, 2008
    Houston

Yea, no mention of how all these other fan clubs are almost like "spinoffs" of the army and bat...

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Noticed that too, huh?

5. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House

Can't be a real article because they do not acknowledge the most powerful supporters group in Houston........Waibel's Warriors!

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Glenn has said that the Rockets and Texans have used the Dynamo as models to try to liven up their crowds, now THAT would make a good story.

7. EdG567

EdG567 Member

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a joke to compare the "Little Pumas" or "O's Bros" to EB/TA. Give me a break.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To truly appreciate this statement, one must click the link and look just below the videos on the right. There's a link to a "Who's who of Houston Fan Clubs".

They saved the best for last, even if the label is a little off :rolleyes:

9. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it's worth, Senor Cool made the front page of the print edition of the Sports section...

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Texans began to dedicate the South curve of Reliant as "Gridiron Texas". We shall see how that evolves over the years.

I would like the Chron to highlight the difference between the likes of the Lil' Pumas and the Red Rowdies. One was started independent of a FO think tank and the other was started by a head coach. Big difference in the spirit of the thing when it is done by the motivation of the Houston fans.

Our Dynamo FO created a supporters group in season 1. They called it "La Doce" and tried to split the North End into two sets of supporters in different parts of the stadium. Their lame attempt at fabricating a barra for a Houston ball team was an introduction into AEG's soccer mindset....or lack there of.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never heard that before, and I thought I'd heard everything about the Dynamo. Either that or I forgot it, which is likely.

So, did "La Doce" have any members? Who was supposed to join? How long did that last? And where did they come up with that name?

I think I remember the Texian Army at Kicks at the uniform unveiling in '06, some of the regular Texian Army guys were there back then. But I don't think La Doce was there.... :rolleyes:

12. Gregmeister

Gregmeister New Member

May 29, 2007
    Section 213-214
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

"La Doce" was a name offered to some of the founding memebers of what became "EL Batallon". They originally wanted a "hispanic" hinchada to have a section of their own somewhere in the stadium, I guess something that they can say "we made that". Offer was rejected.

13. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"La Doce" is the name of one of "Boca Juniors" supporter´s group.

I can´t believe they wanted a group to use that name, lets forget for a moment the fact that they apparently like to copy names, (like naming your team like so many other soccer teams around the world), but the fact that "La Doce" is one of the most violent groups in Argentina, forget that, around the world, they have a huge history of violence, black mailing, meddling and so on.

By the way, the name comes from the fact that in spanish speaking countries, the fans are considered "the twelth" player.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was all in May of '06 brahma.

No kidding. That's why I laughed in our Front Office's face when I heard what our FO and Budweiser tried to package together.

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See, I didn't get that and I'm a Spanish teacher. It looked Italian to me. :eek: And actually I knew about Boca's support's group, I just wasn't thinking...

And I hope they're careful, A&M could sue them for the Twelfth Man thing... :D

16. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, doce in Portuguese means sweet and/or candy (dolce in Italian, dulce in Spanish), maybe they wanted to have a group of sweet supporters ;)

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait, wait...you are talking about THE La Doce, right? The one that got their asses handed to them in '03 by the now all but defunct LBDT? You wanna talk about some major violence, black mailing, and meddling LBDT takes the cake.

19. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Los Borrachos del Tablón" was also a scary group, perhaps as you point out even scarier than "La 12", but that doesn´t change the fact that choosing that name for a Dynamo fan group was a huge mistake, "La 12" is still synonymous with violence, the "genius" behind that is either very dumb, has absolutely no knowledge of soccer or both.

20. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What?, I was going to give the FO the benefit of the doubt,(specially because of all the energy companies in Houston and the other 2 Dynamo teams that came before us) but after reading that they wanted to have a supporters group called "La 12" it seems that after the 1836 "incident" they decided to take the easy route and just copy soccer names for everything.

I don´t have a problem with the name of the team, but if the original idea was to copy even names of supporters groups I can´t but complain that we deserve our own identity (thankfully members of the groups decided to use names that at the same time pay homage to the city and state and helps the team to get their own identity, a good identity if you ask me), how hard is it to find a name instead of just choosing the name that 28 more teams are using (I guess I should be thankful that at least we are not FC Dynamo Houston but Houston Dynamo).

I really think our team has their own great identity regardless of the FO, not thanks to them, and our supporters groups are to be thank as part of it.

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually I like the name, pretty much every name has been done over and over, and the Dynamo do have meaning in the energy capital of the US... plus there it's sort of an homage to the old Houston Dynamos.

And it's not a Real, an FC, an animal (remember how everybody was afraid we would be the "Cats" or the "Gatos"?) or something Texan ("Bulls," "Toros," "Texans," or "Vaqueros") or anything with an -s at the end of it.

22. konejo_starr

konejo_starr New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Houston
    Re: [NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston

I remember that thing about "la doce" i wasn't part of el batallon at that time, but i remember seeing and ad on a free spanish newspaper "la semana" advertasing the group, it offered 12 dollar tickets for section 112 and it was going to be a game against dallas.

and about those pictures on the chron, they are some i diots that group aint the texian army, that's el batallon... we are very different from that social club named the texian army...:mad:

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

webfoot:

you were right. i fkn hated the article. you told me not to read it and i read it. we need to add Joseph Duarte to the list of Chronicle idiots.

in all seriousness the Red Rowdies suck big time. don't even get me started on the Lastros fan clubs. The Houston Pulse can outdo all these clowns put together with both hands tied behind their backs *you get it, they're a drum corp*. :D

24. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I noticed that too...but what can you expect from the chronicle?

25. Re: [NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston

they always make that mistake.... but hopefully now that we are separated they'll know who is who.