NCSAA preseason rankings.

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by mpr2477, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    http://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/...NCAA_DI_WOMEN/web/rankings/ncaa/di_women.aspx

Honestly, do they even try?! I get it, the basically follow the order of how teams finished last season, but this is just bad.

WVU #1? No way. At best 8-12 range. USC, Gtown, S Carolina, uconn, Clemson, Minnesota and Nebraska took major hits with Sr losses that none of them can replace with incoming talent. Only USC has a legit chance at top 8 bcuz they're 3 stud freshmen to help w their losses. FSU, Duke and Notre Dame are grossly underrated

2. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    It is a ridiculous effort at rebranding the've done.

And PENN ST ISN'T EVEN ON THERE! Them and Stanford should be 1 and 2. Lazy and poor.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I completely agree. Stanford and PSU are the two top teams

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Preseason poll. Who really cares. Means nothing. NSCAA poll has nothing to do with NCAA selection, etc. What matters will be in week 4 of the season when the NCAA RPI Ranking comes out.

5. MountaineerLegion

MountaineerLegion New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Howdy folks. Lurked here a little but don't post often as while I'm a die hard Mountaineer fan I'm only a casual soccer fan...read, I watch all the games but am rather ignorant about soccer.

I'm as shocked as anyone to see our preseason rank. Your statement though interests me. You say it's impossible that we are better than 8th. Why? Is there something about our roster, schedule or recruiting class that makes you say that? Is there a website that provides preseason analysis that led you to that conclusion? I've looked around but TDS is all I can find and they don't have any info up yet. Do you actually follow us enough to compare our team, schedule and recruiting class to the other 7 teams it's impossible for us to be better than? If so I'd genuinely love to hear your analysis. As I said I can't find much info out there. If not, aren't you doing the same thing they did, using reputation instead of analysis. No fair searching for info now that I've asked. :) Thanks in advance.

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They lost two unbelievable players who will be difficult to replace. That alone impacts where they will likely stack up.

mpr2477 repped this.
  7. MountaineerLegion

Nov 27, 2016
    Fair point. They were good enough though that a pretty good player might have been sitting waiting their turn, no? Obviously still a subtraction in quality, unless Coach Izzo-Brown has another bottle of lightning in her recruiting class. As I said, I'm only a casual fan, which is why I asked if there was analysis that might help me know what to expect this year.

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Keep in mind, I'm no expert and these are my opinions. (I think I'm mostly right though ;). I mainly look at TDS for recruiting and info. I base my predictions on how well a team did the previous year, who they lose, recruits they bring in to replace those lost from previous season, or did they have depth from previous season to counter the starters lost. With that said, WVU lost too much (Buchanan and Lawrence) to stay at the level they were at last year. Yes, they'll still be good, but they're recruits/transfers aren't great, and can't overcome what those two Sr's brought to the team. The level will surely drop as last year's performance was beyond amazing. (As a born and raised Canadian, I follow your team quite closely. It was still a gut punch, when my Dukies lost in the snow up there last year lol).

If I follow my criteria, then I cannot see WVU better then the 8 or so teams I would place above them. (PSU, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, UNC, FSU, Virginia, Notre Dame and Texas AM).

Of course, you can't always account for injuries, intangibles, and "lightning in a bottle. So WVU or some other team could have a crazy good overachieving season and win it all! It'll sure be fun to watch, and as you can tell from my blitzkrieg of posts lately, I'm antsy to get this season underway

9. MountaineerLegion

Nov 27, 2016
    Thanks for the reply mpr2477. Losing Buchanan and Lawrence is definitely going to be tough to overcome. That said, our recruits and transfers never seem to attract attention so who knows. In coach Izzo-Brown I trust. Interesting tidbit, WVU hired her to start our women's program with 1 year of coaching experience.

What we will know, is where WVU stands rather early in the season though. We play @Georgetown, Virginia, PSU, and Duke (last year was at Duke) all in the first month. Coach has always scheduled tough, perhaps to make up for playing in the Big 12 and Big East.

This is probably a crystal ball question, but as a Canadian who follows WVU, presumably because of our Canadian ladies, can you shed any light on her pipeline into Canada? I've asked on our sports message board several times and no one knows.

10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I read (just today somewhere) that Izzo-Brown said she got one recruit years ago (don't ask me who), from a close coaching connection she had, and it went from there. It's only 4.5 hours from Ontario, and the Canadian girls love the scenery. It worked out well for the first recruit, and word spread quickly amongst the Canadian players in eastern Canada. Hence grew the pipeline.

11. Footie12

Footie12 New Member

Manchester United
    Germany
    Aug 5, 2017
    WVU has 9 returning starters. Buchanan and Lawerence missed quite a few games last season as they had National Team duty.

I think WVU will do just fine this year and IMO desetves their ranking based on how they finished last year!

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

For sure they will be very good. I think they will be just a step down from last year. Top 25 for sure, not sure about top 8 but it is so tight between these elite programs you just never know.

Anyone with thoughts about the quality of the Georgetown team this fall?

13. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    My thoughts on Gtown, is the same as WVU. Last year was just a ridiculously good year, it's hard to top that. They still have Rachel Corboz (who could end up winning mac hermann this year if she keeps last year's numbers up), but the 3 or 4 seniors they lost were excellent. And incoming freshmen aren't highly rated recruits to compensate for those seniors numbers. I think they'll be a top 15 team.

14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
  15. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    AllWhiteKit Preseason:

1. Penn State
    2. Stanford
    3. Florida State
    4. North Carolina
    5. UCLA
    6. Duke
    7. West Virginia
    8. Northwestern
    9. Rutgers
    10. Georgetown
    11. Texas A&M
    12. BYU
    13. Virginia
    14. Notre Dame
    15. NC State
    16. Cal
    17. Michigan
    18. South Carolina
    19. USC
    20. Utah
    21. Florida
    22. Pepperdine
    23. Colorado
    24. Santa Clara
    25. Arkansas

Also considered:

Auburn, DePaul, Long Beach St, Loyola Marymount, Northeastern, SMU, Texas Tech, UC Irvine, Vanderbilt

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    cpthomas repped this.
  17. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    So you think the United Coaches poll is legit without even having PSU ranked?! Cmon ...

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.