NCAA Rules of the Game

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Sep 24, 2017.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 MiLLeNNiuM, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    How many minutes must a match be played for it to count as a win or loss?

Today (9/24/17) Penn State vs Nebraska has stopped at the 37th minute of the 1st half.

The game was delayed due to lightning and it's been almost 2 hours now.

Do these matches typically get rescheduled, continued/postponed for another day, cancelled, etc?

EDIT: Finally, the match has started again, but I'd still like to know. Thanks.

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    We'll have to wait until one of our resident NCAA experts weighs in on this question.

It is the league that sets this particular rule and in this case the NCAA. Typically, usually the second half has to have begun to count the game, but I truly do not know for the NCAA.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Have to get to the 70th minute for it to be an official contest

cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Men's and Women's Soccer Rules Committee is proposing some rules changes, to be effective starting with the upcoming 2024 season. They need approval from the next higher up body, but it seems likely they will be approved. Here are the ones affecting women's soccer:

The clock will stop on all substitutions in the last 15 minutes of the second half and also during overtimes (which now occur only in conference tournament and NCAA Tournament games). [This rule will apply to both teams and apparently is intended to reduce the use of substitutions as a way to run down the clock late in a game.]

If video equipment is available, then the referees can initiate video reviews for:

Potential penalty kick situations
    Potential straight red card situations
    Any potential offside situations [but remember, this will occur only if the referee initiates the review]
    A foul denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity
    In addition, for the 2024 season there will be an emphasis on officials watching decorum by coaches and players in the coaching and team areas. [The Committee also considered requiring all team players on the bench to be seated (presumably except when reporting for and awaiting substitution). If looks to me like mentioning that the Committee considered this is intended to send a message to some players to clean up their sidelines behavior.]

[There are some substitution rules changes recommended for the men that are not recommended for the women. These include not allowing a player substituted for in a half to return to play in that half and establishing limits on the number of substitution windows. These apparently are intended to bring the men's substitution rules closer to those in the professional and international soccer worlds.]

whatagoodball repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #5 Eddie K, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Thanks for the summary. I saw that bench rule in the rules survey and assumed it came from officials. It's kindof like basketball that the bench players must be seated during play and I did not realize many pro leagues have a similar rule. You may notice only the 1 coach is allowed to be up and moving around in the 'technical area'.

I've had teams that preferred to sit and some that stand but don't require the kids to stay standing but I do know some coaches who do that.

Refs should just start showing an early card here and there to stop the terrible bench behavior and the 'surrounding' of the official. Only the Capt with the armband should be able to approach the official.

I wish players would be more disciplined generally in our game and officials were more respected so we didn't have to legislate or mandate such controls.

EDIT - I still don't understand the benefit to limiting subs in the college game? How does giving your best player or 2 a 5-10 minute break in the middle of the half so they stay fresh, hydrated, and so perhaps avoid injury hurt the game?? If you're subbing to kill the clock, there are other measures to take besides limiting participation. College soccer does NOT have to be like the International Game!

First Time Finish and espola repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Does the staying seated rule mean players can no longer warm up?

espola repped this.
  7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The staying seated is just something the Committee discussed but did not recommend, so they did not have to deal with the specific details of a rule. I suspect their mentioning they had discussed it was a threat to some teams along the lines: "Clean up your players' sideline behavior or we will make your players who are not in the game sit the whole time (with a few practical exceptions)."

8. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    @EddieK The bench rule proposal actually had a number of prominent supporters and was particularly an item of concern among conference commissioners who are tired of bad behavior at men's soccer games.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am *VERY* happy to see this change and got a strong feeling about where this comes from, at least from the coaches perspective. Two incidents in the first half of UNC's season last year where the head coach of the opposing team cross way over the halfway line and attempted to confront the UNC coaching staff. The first incident was particularly concerning, as Alabama's head coach made physical contact and pushed against the 4th official who attempted to restrain him, and UNC's assistant Nahas crossed over and escalated the verbal exchange.

When it first happened I was concerned that opponents of UNC would take note of how disruptive it was to UNC and repeat the stunt to delay and disrupt UNC when they were clicking... which is exactly what happened in the FSU game. I posted a thread about this in the officials forum and the fine folks over there summarily dismissed my concerns and suggested they were entirely based on a perceived hatred of officials.

Were there any other incidents recently that would have triggered this emphasis in recent years that stand out in anybodies minds?

10. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    With all due respect, this was not in the minds of any of the committee members. The push for better bench behavior has largely come from conference commissioners on the men's d3 side of things who are fed up with sideline antics. This was the reason that requiring everyone to be seated in the bench area was proposed in the first place. There were specific incidents mentioned, but none of them involved UNC women's games.

BG78, First Time Finish and cpthomas repped this.
  11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Noted. Looking back I missed your post towards Eddie before my own. I guess I assumed this update being posted in the Women's section meant it had something to do with Women's game.

I'm not really sure how to feel about it being brought about because of bad behavior on the mens side. On one hand *eye roll* "men, am I right?" ... on the other I wonder if the increasing problems I've seen in the women's game, not just at UNC games, would have ever warranted a change because, you know, they're women and not important. Sucks to think that *only* problems at mens game leads to changes. Also reminds me about the scheduling proposals where only the men will have their season extended. Of the two sexes, the one that would benefit *more* from extended schedules would be the women.

Ah well, I'm happy it's happening regardless of why.

12. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    The Rules committee has an equal number of representatives from the women and mens side.

whatagoodball repped this.
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 babranski, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    do you truly believe that an equal number of male and female representatives on a committee means said committee isn't capable of gender discrimination ... especially when you take into consideration that we're talking about the NCAA?

14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that for a good number of years, the men's coaches have advocated having their season extended and the women's coaches have opposed it. The men's coaches want the season extended because they believe the short season is causing them to lose the best male players to the pros. The women's coaches, in the past, have not had that concern -- although perhaps that will change. I have not found the proposals I have heard of to be very attractive from a fan perspective, they would ruin the aesthetic of a full season played in one calendar window.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    A proposal that was thrown in the dustbin last season was to have most conference games and the college cup in the Spring between the Lacrosse championship ( Memorial Day weekend) and the College baseball World Series.

the advantage cited was much better weather than soccer in December and the ability to allow a week between semis and the final instead of two days.

https://letsgodu.com/2023/04/19/mens-college-soccer-split-season-tossed-into-dust-bin/#:~:text=The split season would have,Century Model after last season.

babranski and whatagoodball repped this.
  16. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Yes, I do. The members are extremely thoughtful advocates for their constituents.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Might teams also get a somewhat longer training period in the spring, prior to the start of the season, than they do now? Right now, teams gather in, what, very late July and have roughly two weeks of training before the first game. I've heard coaches many times say that the preseason practice period before the fall season is very short.

Planopitch repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    no idea I don’t think it was mentioned but players would loose Spring break.

19. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    The men's and women's division 1 coaching communities want different things. Both of them woul have to be approved by various levels of the NCAA bureaucracy (not the Rules Committee). The men want what has been referred to as the 21st century model, with part of the season in the fall and the remainder, including the championships, in the spring. The women want to stay with a one semester season, but they would like to extend the season by two weeks. The intent in both cases is to better spread out the games and allow for more training and recovery between games.

whatagoodball and cpthomas repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what I have understood.

21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Agree with @Midwest Ref that the NCAA rules process is not a good place for folks like @babs to express their gender equity outrage. I think you could make an argument now that the NCAA is highly concerned about fairness. Maybe not historically, but right now - men's or women's soccer isn't getting access to anything without the other gender knowing all about it.

Rules- this is the first soccer rules cycle with what they call "federated" rules - meaning they can be different for genders or divisions (i.e. as they are in basketball) It's the D1 Men only who are seeking to limit substitutions and allow for only 6 total substitution opportunities in a game. Those proposals don't apply to the other divisions/genders.

(Curious if you, or other officials, like this change @Midwest Ref ?? Just in terms of having to know and apply different sub rules for D1 Men's games only. Could it lead to officials only wanting to take assignments for D1 Men or maybe not. Has more gender preference or specialization happened with basketball refs?)

Seasonal Change - The full-year season proposal got some good traction until Covid and then has faltered since. Moving an entire team sport from 1 to 2 seasons is a massive change that requires several layers of approvals. Again, fairness- Why is soccer special? You think baseball and softball folks don't want to play 1/3 of their games in the Fall? And their fields are more available than soccer at most schools and they already have a Spring championship.

Recall that very many schools played "real" games in the covid season of Spring 21 and realized how hard it was. Just imagine if UNC was only halfway through their current season with their roster?? There is some merit to it of course, playing once a weekend makes sense, but I never supported the model. The thing has been discussed at length on this forum several places and has it's own website. I'm sure you can look over to the men's forums/threads but it is stalled for now:
    https://www.21stcenturymodel.org/

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's the season for spring soccer? Is it limited to number of sessions, calendar?

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 play dates.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was not good traction. Sasho was really the only one with anything public about it. Sometimes Noonan would chime in too.

In 5 years, they’ve garnered a whole sub-800 followers on X. Their engagement was pitiful.

It was dead in the water before it even got going. Tabled twice. Then, failed without even a vote. None of that is promising or good traction.