NC Courage 2018

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, Feb 24, 2018.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a pretty great way to promote the Courage Wed & Sat games vs. the Reign and Royals:
    983351328653979648 is not a valid tweet id

blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Long time no see this thread! :x3:

Anyway: do these pictures made by Yuki Nagasato yesterday in Cary, North Carolina, mean that her good friend and former NT team-mate Yuri Kawamura will soon be back from her injury? Does anyone know anything more about the subject?

[​IMG]

CoachJon repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neil Morris interviews of Denise O'Sullivan and Sam Mewis -
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/soccer/asset_gallery/15514282/

Also some interesting Courage stats he posted before yesterday's 7:00 pm game (and win):

blissett repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After pulling out the 4-3 win vs. Orlando, the Courage are now 13-1-0 when kickoff is 7pm or later.

With Lyon vs. Wolfsburg coming up at noon today, I was looking at the schedule for the International Champions Cup (ICC) in Miami on July 27 and July 29 – The ICC will have the Courage, Chelsea, Man City, and PSG.
    It happens during the US Tournament of Nations with Brazil, Australia, and Japan.

I think that neither Chelsea nor Man City have players from Brazil, Australia, Japan, or USWNT. PSG has Formiga and Erica from Brazil, I think.
    The Courage will most likely not have Dahlkemper, Mewis, Dunn, Debhina, and maybe Williams at the ICC.

The Courage have a game on 7/20 in Utah.

The Other 3 ICC teams will be in Portland, OR for a few days, finishing with some 45-minute exhibitions on July 25; so they will have to make a cross country plane ride between then and game day on 7/27.

I watched Chelsea lose to Wolfsburg 3-1 at home in April and concluded a full strength Courage team would run them out of the park. I haven’t seen whole games for Man City or even highlights for PSG.

I think the Courage without the Nats will have a tough time with all three teams. The travel day for the Europeans and the weather in Miami in July will have a big impact on the games,I believe. I think even with a slowed-down, technical game plan, there may be more guts than guile needed to win these games.

lil_one repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea pulled out of ICC and Lyon is in. Holy Crap!

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't remember when exactly it will be: the season will be over for OL, anyway, and between retirements (Abily, Petit, Thomis) and some internationals getting home for the off-seaspn (and OL has a big number of them), the only fear is that Triple-Euro-Champions could be a little depleted :unsure: (of course it could change if this tournament will try to be World Cup for Clubs in the future, because this would encourage teams not to disband at the end of their respective domestic seasons).

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ICC will never try to be a women's CWC since it'll always be tied to the men's ICC which is privately run - I highly doubt FIFA will ever be able to take it off their hands. That said, the ICC will be an interesting test to see if women's team approve of having the extra tournament in the summer. The fact that it's right on top of the FIFA international window (hence the conflict with ToN) will make it a hard sell for anything official, but a friendly tournament such as ICC won't care so much.

Even with some retirements and such, Lyon joining the tournament now gives the ICC a clear favorite when it didn't have one before. I would have thought a depleted NC team stood a good chance against either offseason English team or PSG, but Lyon? I dunno...

I still hope that Ellis and other ToN coaches recognize the potential of the ICC and choose to not call up ICC players (or at least give ask ICC players beforehand which tournament they want to play in).

jjmack, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...And we were trying different things
    We were smoking funny things..." Kid Rock

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    File under "too-soon statistics": NC is more than on pace to eclipse BOS's five-season point total in just their second season. BOS scored just 95pts in 110g; so far, NC has 75pts in 34g. To not hit 95pts after two seasons, NC would need to fall from their current pace of 2.60PPG to 1.36PPG or lower (19pts over the last 14g) to end the season at 45pts or fewer. 39pts made the playoffs last year.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more win and they equal Boston's win total.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Done. :coffee:

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....at first I thought, "No way they only need one more win, that would mean almost of those 19pts I mentioned would have to be made up in draws - no way BOS has that many draws". Then I looked. No, BOS doesn't have that many draws - but NC has almost none. So there ya go I guess.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is Sully rampaging vs. Thorns courtesty of @babranski twitter. A whole series of GIFs.
    1026969425629593600 is not a valid tweet id

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

#RunDMW (Dunn, McDonald, Williams)

blissett repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heeligan2 and blissett repped this.
  20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible news: Zerboni suffered a fractured elbow in last night's friendly vs Chile and is out for the playoffs (and in all likelihood will miss WCQ).

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #47 luvdagame, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    horrible news.

hate to say it, but zerboni runs their system. it's always on the edge because of how hard/high they press. she's crucial to stopping counters. she's crucial to turning defense into attack. QUICKLY!

mewis? debhina? sully? none do it as well.

i know they're deep, but...not sure they can win in the playoffs without her.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It sucks, but it shouldn't affect the ability of this team to win games. The won the ICC without her. I mean look at their roster. This is a team that starts games with Heather O'Reilly and Crystal Dunn on the bench. Or Samantha Mewis and Denise O'Sullivan on the bench, or McCall Zerboni and Debinha on the bench and still puts three or four goals past their opponents.

If this were a normal team, the loss of a player like Zerboni would be devastating at this point. It sucks, and it will affect team depth, but the team is still several players deeper than anyone else in the league.

BlueCrimson, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say this but if one player affects a team THAT MUCH where they can't even win a game then maybe they don't deserve to win the playoffs...

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    one fulcrum systems are sometimes really discombobulated by losing that key player.

but, let me correct myself. I meant that I don't see them winning the final. they certainly could win 1 game.

... altho if that 1 game were against the red stars, who are, as it were, now beginning their season,..maybe I don't need to correct myself.