NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1351 NorthBank, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    When is NBC going to unify NBSSports.com with Gold?

I just logged into Gold in order to get ready for the Arsenal match at 2:45pm, but the 2pm pre-game show doesn't show under Gold because it's aired on NBCSN. So to watch that I have to access a different website/webpage.

I realize that the authentication system for the 2 are different (Gold login, vs cable-provider login) but still, couldn't they work this out somehow?

Edit: In Roku it seems unified under one NBCSports app (the old separate Gold app is no more?). But on a laptop, on their website it still seems confusingly segregated.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Have you tried a Windows 10 app?

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but if that's the solution I could. I'm old school.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Try it out. It could be more organized.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to nbcsports.com and all games were listed.

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea why the Arsenal game and Fulham game say "TV provider required," but the Gold and non-Gold games are listed in the same place. EDIT: Maybe those games are available to both Gold and non-Gold who have TV subscriptions?

Attached Files:

7. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Could just be a bug

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "TV provider required" means that a Gold subscriber who doesn't have a TV provider can't watch. If a game that wasn't on TV said that "TV provider required," it was a mistake.

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Use https://www.nbcsports.com/live - everything is there. Yeah sign-ons are kind of a pain (I don't like how NBC never seems to keep me signed in via cable authentication or Gold account) but all the live and replay programs are there for you to choose from. Need to do some skipping around with pre-games, Gold games, etc but then again you need to do that on TV with NBCSN, NBC and CNBC on occasion.

Redbullsnation2012 and TJNash repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that was the case yesterday. I noticed it also.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THanks I'll try to remember that next time. But that's kind of the point. I shouldn't have to remember these little "tricks" to find their online content easily. Whether it be matches that are on broadcast TV vs Gold, or PL Review Shows, or whatever. I should just be able to login to one easy place like http://nbcsports.com, sign-in (or preferably have them remember my creds), find my show quickly and watch. I'm optimistic that NBC, ESPN et al will figure all this out in the hopefully near future.

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When you go to nbcsports.com, click Watch right next to the logo in the top menu, that'll get you to https://www.nbcsports.com/live. Similar to ESPN, where you go to espn.com and click Watch at the top right and that takes you to http://www.espn.com/watch/

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Wasn't aware NBC also had a Watch tab. So I'm using it now to stream the Sky transfer deadline show while I work. The quality image quality's a little poor but it's really the audio I'm paying attention to.

Still their authentication system is a little whack. Like you said it should just remember your creds better. And what's with having to press "Continue" even when the system already has your creds?

And I'm looking forward to their website being more integrated so that you don't have to flip back and forth between NBCSports & Gold. Like they already do on their Roku app? (I think) Some day...

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But here's a less critical comment for a change :)

I streamed both transfer shows this afternoon via NBCSports.com (Sky's & NBC's) and I have to say the quality was absolutely fine. Sky had some visual glitches but those were probably satellite issues. NBC's quality was perfect.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I decided to try out 2 things tonight: NBC app on a new Roku. Worked OK, but I'm left scratching my head a bit...

1. I wanted to watch PL Review or MOTD or Goalzone from this round of play in the EPL... couldn't find a thing. And it's Weds night so if those aren't posted yet, then I assume they never will be.

2. Still, just to be sure I should try a "search" for any of the above, but there is no search button in the app? Is that a limitation of Roku or NBC?

3. Went to watch highlights of today's EVE-MNC match but the thumbnail had the score in the title. Thanks so much. Do they really think there's more people who want spoilers than don't??

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Of all the streaming environments that I use regularly, NBC's in-browser player is easily the worst. Overloaded with ads and graphics, freezes and chops up streams even when I'm connected at 75mbps. They need to strip it down or offer Mac and Windows apps. Even beIN's browser streaming is far better.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    NBC Sports does have a Windows 10 app.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  20. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, and you could also download bluestacks and grab the NBC Sports Gold app on the Play Store.

I don't reccomend using NBC Sports Gold on the computer. I found it a bit more smoother to use their apps (FireTV, Android, IOS, etc.)

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    LOL, I forgot that I even had it. :) Thanks, I'll use it next weekend.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I use the Gold browser site on my Mac at work and don't have problems streaming shows and matches - I think it's because of the stripped down page, no ads, just embedded player. Site nav isn't great but I can keep the stream going smoothly. It's the NBCSN/NBC authenticated streaming page that kills me.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Now a tech question on my end:
    Anyone have the New iPhone and know how to expand the matches on the NBC sports app to full screen? I have tried pretty much everything.

24. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have the XR and I get full screen by simply tilting the phone into landscape mode, both in the regular NBC Sports app and the Gold app.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is odd.

I get black bars on the side with that app on the XR.

The way to fix that issue on an app like Sling and Fubo is to double tap the screen so that it extends all the way (except the stupid notch but I digress).
    For NBC Sports that is not the case