NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don’t know what to tell you. Complain to NBC. And the Premier League. And the millions of people who no longer want to pay for cable. We’re talking about one specific highlights show for matches 4 days ago from a country you don’t live in.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no. You're missing the point entirely.

It's not just one particular show or two particular shows. It's all the content that one might want to stream, at any point in time.

Like Bill Gates once said, it should be "at your fingertips". Not purged after X days or weeks.

3. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sure, I guess it would be nice for NBC to offer a comprehensive digital archive for the Premier League for US fans. But that's surely not in their contract with the Premier League and not in the scope for covering live sports.

Also, a quick search shows that the Premier League and IMG have a digital archive storefront here - https://www.imgreplay.com/client/premier_league_archive/

So at a certain point (probably after a week or so) all content goes back to Premier League/IMG for re-distribution.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not just talking about NBC or EPL. I'm talking much more broadly.

But your points about the rights are probably central to all this. In the old model the rights made sense and worked fine. Because NBC or FOX would air a show/match a few times within a week or so, and then probably no more. But that worked because everyone's DVR's had plenty of time to grab those airings for playback at any time.

In the new model, without DVR's, the playback has to happen directly from the streaming servers. And so, to provide a similar user-friendly experience, IMHO the streaming providers should be granted permission by the rights-holders to stream the show/game indefinitely into the future, as long as that provider still has rights, in general, to that league.

I'm sure it's legally more complicated than that, but from a common-sense, customer-focused point of view, I believe my suggestion makes sense.

5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I wish you all the best in your campaign sir :)

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1331 EvanJ, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    I doubt anything would be on NBCSN and WatchESPN because they're different companies. Soccerbox is archived at https:/www.sky.com for people in England.

While searching NBC Sports, I found https://www.nbcsports.com/video/premier-league-matchday-21-every-goal which has 14:06 showing every goal from Matchday 21. There are also extended highlights from some games. They have 15:05 from Man City vs. Liverpool, and I didn't copy the link because it has the score. https://www.nbcsports.com/video/sport/soccer has it. There are extended highlights from Chelsea vs. Southampton, Newcastle United vs. Man United, Wolverhampton vs. Crystal Palace, Cardiff City vs. Tottenham, Arsenal vs. Fulham, and Everton vs. Leicester City. For the other three games from Matchday 21, there are highlights between 2:50 and 3:00, which is much longer than what you get from one game on Goal Zone.

It's only for use by companies without common people being able to pay for it. IMG is big, and I don't think the Premier League will change their agreement with IMG just based on the request of NBC or any company televising the games outside England. I'm guessing enough companies have Premier League rights somewhere that the Premier League won't try to please everybody.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @QPR Kevin H

Thank you for the rep. I edited my post after the rep, so there's more for you to read.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the end of Leicester vs. Southampton, and the postgame video didn't include a couple of minutes of highlights like it normally does.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Welp, I'm moving to the UK in a couple months, so I've started to try to grasp the differences between accessing the Premier League on TV over there as opposed to here.

It looks like the most streamlined process is to subscribe to Sky TV and add the Sky Sports package (most PL matches) and BT Sport package (remainder of PL matches plus CL and EL matches) for a total of £60/mo. (or £65, I'm seeing conflicting add-on prices), which currently converts to ~$77/mo. (or ~$84).

Here, I pay $40/mo. for YTTV and $5.56/mo. (season pass divided by nine-month season) for NBC Sports Gold. That's $45.56/mo. If I want full access to CL/EL, that's another $10/mo, but I can skip that and stick with TNT if I'd like. I also pay $5/mo. for ESPN+, which gets me the FA Cup, Carabao Cup and Nations League (which I'd get in the UK setup above).

So, really, we're looking at $50-60 here vs. ~$75-85 there. There are also daily and weekly options available for accessing matches via Now TV, but they're £8 and £13, respectively. Also, my current setup gets me all the other sports I watch regularly and won't have easy/cheap/time-friendly access to there: college football and basketball, NBA, MLB, NFL...

See how good we've got it, damn!

QPR Kevin H and Art Deco repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky you! I'd trade places in a heartbeat.

Do you have an English club you follow? If not, now might be a good time!

As for TV, all I've heard is that we can see way way more live EPL in the USA than they can ever dream of in England. That's partly due to blackouts, wanting to make sure people still show up in stadia, etc.

Based on some a few of the England-based BigSoccer folks I know, there seems to be a fair amount of pirated streams or VPN's used in order to get around the poor TV & streaming that happens in UK.

The big advantage you're gonna have, as I see it, is that you'll be immersed in the culture, can attend matches in person (at any level of the EFL, and if it were me I'd be going to 2nd or 3rd tier matches as much as my beloved Arsenal)

Anyway absolutely best wishes to you, and keep us posted.

p.s. I lived in London for 4 years as a teen, and it was perhaps the happiest time of my life.

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm all-in with Wolves now due to the Portuguese contingent and will likely stay that way, but prior to this season I'd always followed players and pulled for their respective teams at the club level. I'm sure once I'm settled in the UK my loyalty will be impacted by where I live. Obviously, if I live across the street from Selhurst Park I'll suddenly care a lot more about the success of Crystal Palace.

Following the Premier League on TV from home in the UK will be somewhat of a double whammy. Not only will it be more expensive for full access, but I'll want that full access as much as ever because I won't be able to follow American sports as closely as I've always done. Then again, at least the matches will always take place at a reasonable hour, there will be tremendous media coverage and I can hop on a train and go to a match. For that matter, I could also hop on a plane and fly to Lisbon for a match at a reasonable rate and time commitment!

I've never needed a VPN here, but know I'll want one in the UK to help break down some barriers between me and my American sports teams. If it helps me follow soccer and the Premier League that'll be a bonus. Fortunately, it looks like MLB TV and NBA League Pass are available (and cheaper) over there, which is a start. Then again, I don't want to pay a fortune for stuff that airs live at 3 a.m. and I only watch on replay.

I'm very excited and will be sure to provide some insights on how TV coverage in the UK compares to our ever-expanding options here. As for now, let's just hope that as NBC Sports commits to one app the experience improves.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could do much worse than going to Selhurst Park on a regular basis. The last EPL match I saw was there and it's a great little stadium with excellent atmosphere. And the walk to the stadium, through the neighborhoods is classic.

But we digress!

13. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MLB and NBA games are usually on at midnight over there. Just take a couple of naps during the day and then your energized for those games :D

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1339 EvanJ, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    If you want to watch every game and have them at a reasonable hour, live in the Eastern time zone instead of California or England. Do you watch the NFL? One NFL game at each time is on TV in England. No matter what your favorite team is, you won't be able to watch all of their games because you won't be in the local market for that team, and I don't think there's anything like Sunday Ticket available in other countries. Every night game is on TV in England, but night games start after 1:00 A.M. Other than Thanksgiving and when there are Saturday day games at the end of the season, only 2 NFL games a week are at a reasonable time in England, and that's if you count ending near 12:30 A.M. is reasonable.

With a 5 hour time difference, 7:00 P.M. Eastern starts will be at midnight. MLB has much more day games than the NBA. On Sundays almost every MLB game starts by 4:10 P.M. Eastern/9:10 P.M. in England.

15. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I live in Eastern time zone and hate it because 10:30 hockey games are just late for me. The only good thing about it is that early 7:00 AM soccer games are watchable. I prefer Mountain time zone if you want to watch a lot of American sports leagues.

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Living in the pacific time zone has been mostly good for sports watching, though obviously not for the early European soccer matches. But that is balanced out by having the latest American sporting events begin at 7:30 p.m. And it's great to have college football/basketball, or NFL games, begin at 9 or 10 a.m. on the weekend and run all day - there's no waiting around for the games to start.

It'll be nice to have Premier League matches begin in the afternoon on the weekend rather than 4:30 a.m. as they do for me now. And midweek games in the evening will be dreamy!

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1342 EvanJ, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace will be on NBCSN while Man United vs. Brighton and Hove Albion will be on CNBC. 6 of 10 games will be on TV. NBC gets a big game of Arsenal vs. Chelsea.

I don't like how late some games in the USA start for TV. I don't feel like I have to wait too long for college football and basketball when the Premier League plays earlier in the day. Most Premier League weekend games are over before 12:00 P.M. Eastern, which isn't true for La Liga. Regardless of what time zone of the USA you're in, your favorite American teams in any sport are going to play at the same time as Barcelona more often than at the same time as Man United.

18. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When I lived there I put a big 120cm satellite dish on my roof that I was able to move across the horizon and was able to see circa 5000 channels decoded with a 'gold' card via the PC. Could pretty much watch all the European soccer games. Did not have to pay a penny except for a nominal fee for the gold card; so many more channels from all over the world and more economical than in the US. You may still be able to do this. Do some research on forums like this one: https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

I remember those enormous dishes from my childhood, the kind that would be in the middle of a backyard, and always thought they must get so many channels! Now I can't even get local channels with an antenna in spite of being in the thick of the Bay Area because I'm between a few hills.

Ideally I'll get through the end of this season and the summer with some VPN trickery and pub visits.

20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Schapes, come back, good news! :)

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Great news. Sky transfer deadline day is great!

22. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Ugh, Liverpool and Manchester City both behind the gold paywall this week. Think Liverpool may not have hit their quota of 4 yet.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Midweek matches are good options for getting the big boys toward their Gold quota. Only two tv spots for ten games and low ratings regardless.

24. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd use my Gold access a lot more frequently if it included a dedicated stream for Sky Sports News.

25. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I never dip in to illegal streams for security and usability reasons -- but of all the pay channels out there this is a pretty easy one to get.

Also I'll take PL News and PL Today over Sky blabbing.