NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Same here in Miami

unclesox repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An update: I streamed the whole Southampton-Arsenal match yesterday and it was quite smooth. So apparently that above tweak, prioritizing my NVidia GPU in Chrome, instead of the Intel integrated one, did the trick. I'm hopeful going forward.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Wednesday at 10:00 A.M., Liverpool vs. Newcastle will be on NBC according to socceraction's blog but not according to https://www.nbc.com/schedule

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  5. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm mildly surprised that NBC went with Liverpool-Newcastle on NBCSN for the 3 pm matches over Leicester-City. Of course Newcastle mailed it in.

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe they were harkening back to the 90s heydey of the LFC-NUFC fixtures. 90s Gen X nostalgia strikes again :D

striker and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garry Birtles broadcasted Lazio vs. Torino today. Has he stopped broadcasting the Premier League, or is he doing both?

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't recall hearing him do the EPL in the last year or so.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can one of you NBC rationalizers explain why NBC is not airing a single MOTD show this weekend?

p.s. I don't really want to hear that they can make more money showing reruns of Mecum Top 10 or National Dog Show

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  10. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    He's still providing relentlessly negative commentary for both the EPL and Serie A.

On the EPL, he's being consistently calling one of the 3PM GMT Saturday matches.

[​IMG]

Redbullsnation2012 and EvanJ repped this.
  11. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    He did a Fulham game a few weeks ago.....horrible man with nothing nice to say about anyone.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today NBCSN aired 3 episodes of Gary Neville's Soccerbox, which I watched on my DVR.

So I wanted to share one of them with my Arsenal buddies, but I couldn't find them anywhere online.

Not on NBC Sports, or NBC Gold, YouTube, or any other "legit" sites.

The main place I found it was on fullmatchesandshows.com, which I've never heard of and was reticent to share.

Supposedly it's also on WatchESPN, but when I searched for it there I couldn't find anything.

Any better ideas?

13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe they just don't have the editorial resources over the holidays to piece it together. Or maybe they've finally pulled the plug on it. Goal Zone is where they're putting their resources now -- with Lowe and analysts wrapping up matches directly after. Bringing the MOTD concept over was a great idea in 2013 but it just didn't work for the times, particularly in the US. Still holds a place in the UK due to nostalgia and the 3pm TV embargo.

TJNash repped this.
  14. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Yeah, the UK's version is just 10x better and is typically aired at the same time every week. The NBC one is worse than the Review show and they should've just aired that and saved some cash.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Note: not canceled, it's back Sunday morning Jan 13 at 6am. I'll go with the 'couldn't be arsed to piece it together over the holidays' explanation :)

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, that's totally lame. NBC's MOTD is quite primitive in it's production... I could probably put it together. Nothing like the PL Review show, whose overlays and transitions are quite slick.

The point of our criticism is that many people would like to see highlights that are not just the 5-10 seconds around a goal or a save... and which employ the original broadcast audio with fan noise... and not just studio "analysts" talking over the clips, or spoiling it right up front by announcing the score ahead of time.

I think the gold standards for these type of "extended highlights" shows are the PL Review Show and the UEFA Champions League Highlights. I truly believe they have great value to many viewers. And sadly both shows, which come ready to go, and require zero production effort by NBC or Turner, have been cast aside by those companies.

So they can put out their own, arguably inferior, product with their own brand imprint?

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is not empirically correct in, checks watch, 2019. People born this century are not watching longform cable tv sports highlights programs in large numbers. It's just a sign of the times.

And don't you have Gold? Watch the Review Show. I also really like it and watch it when I have time.

TJNash repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on Kevin. There is empirical evidence from me, @beInSchwartz, and others in these various media threads who have expressed their preference for extended highlights shows like we've mentioned above. You yourself seem to be a more recent convert of the PL Review show. ;)

And you're also saying that TV companies are basing their marketing decisions on people who are 0-19 years old? That sounds incorrect, and certainly ill-advised.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    My biggest frustration as a Gold subscriber is the lack of consistency. For instance, the Review Show was available for streaming through the Gold app (via Roku) every Sunday at 4 p.m. (pacific) for the first 6-8 weeks of the season like clockwork. Then one weekend, I go to watch it around that time and it's not there. I emailed support and got some uninformative response, but the show didn't end up available until Tuesday.

I haven't been watching the Review Show as consistently lately, but just last night I wanted to watch the Review Show covering last weekend's matches and, sure enough, there's nothing. The same happens with some other shows I'll occasionally kill time with. Fanzone, for instance, was on the app every day early in the season, but last time I checked there were like three episodes on the app from the previous two weeks.

The same issues with consistency/timing apply to matches showing on Gold. A few weeks back I woke in the middle of a Saturday 7 a.m. (pacific) match I wanted to watch, so I had to wait for it to end in order to start from the opening kickoff. It took almost an hour for the match replay to be made available, which is abnormally long. The next time I was in that predicament it took no more than 15 minutes for the replay to be posted, which is pretty standard from my experience with apps like ESPN, etc.

I'm very glad I have Gold, but I just want consistency. Make the same shows available every time they air and at the same time of day. It's really not that difficult.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry, I don't know what I was typing. :eek: I meant millennials and younger - or those under 40.

Anecdotal evidence is not empirical. That's a big theme in our corner of the soccer internet -- what we talk about here matters to the 20 (?) of us but that's not a whole lot in a country of 300+ million and ~100 million cable/sat subscribers. MOTD just never really worked in the ratings, so NBC as a company isn't going to keep working hard on it. Even a bigger company in ESPN has seen a big decrease in the brand name in highlights, Sportscenter.

And I've been watching the league provided highlights show since the mid-90s when they were aired on Prime Network! :)

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I believe that NBC is obligated to remove the highlights show once a new round begins. That came quick this week with the NYD fixtures.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of interesting that NBCSN didn't go with the favored Sky and BBC match today (Newcastle-Man Utd), opting for Chelsea-Southampton. Prescient though, with Chelsea very much in the news over here today!

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 150% with you mate. It's a wild west out there in terms of the quality and reliability of streaming content.

Compare this to the old world where you'd set up a recurring recording for the PL Review Show every time it airs (which used to be a few times per week). Your DVR would basically never fail to catch it. And you could watch it at your leisure any time you want, even more than a week later if you life dictated that.

(Or in your case of having to wait 2 hours to be able to start watching a match from the beginning. If it was on your DVR, you start it whenever you want... I still do that >90% of the time with my weekly EPL content)

I see no reason why the content on servers is removed so quickly, except...

If that's true that is one of the most penny-wise-pound-foolish decisions I can think of. It's categorically less user-friendly than the previous mechanism I just described above.

IMHO, the streaming providers and/or the rights-holders need to seriously rework this so that content can live "indefinitely" on the providers servers. It's super annoying for them to remove content so quickly when, from a technical point of view, we've never in the history of the world, been in a better position to keep things on servers "forever".

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think it’s a Premier League stipulation, not NBC.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be. But stupid. In the new streaming world.