NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to balance it out a bit...

NBC's stream of Arsenal-Wolves has been rock solid for the first half.

And at kickoff, when the commentary mix was way too low so all you could hear was crowd noise, they fixed this within about 2 mins.

But maybe I wish they hadn't because the color commentator was markedly anti-Arsenal.

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Browser caching can throw off single sign on processing. Clear your browsing history if the problem comes up. Happens to me a lot. My biggest gripe with that is I usually have to do it with NBC or beIN when I have multiple ESPN+ windows streaming and it kicks me out. No biggie though, I quickly get back to watching 5 matches at a time :)

Review Show posts Sunday night and is usually available through the week. Not sure why it goes away online but it does. Maybe the contract stipulates that the clubs own highlights after a certain amount of days? I like the Preview Show, that goes up Friday. For catching up on past action, you should probably DVR Goal Zones.

Speaking of frustration, a power surge zapped my FIOS cable tv service around the 20th minute mark of Boca-River yesterday. :cry:

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been auto-recording Goal Zone for years, ever since NBC's airing of PL Review Show started getting wonky, well before they took it away completely. But GZ is a very very poor facsimile of PLR. IMHO.

If NBC Gold removes PL Review from it's replays after only a few days, that is ridiculous. OK maybe there's some stupid contractual limitation, but come on NBC you can surely fix that contract. The lack of reasonable & consistent archives, is one aspect of streaming services which is just not a step forward... in fact not even keeping pace with what DVR's have provided for decades.

4. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #1279 portugamerifinn, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Let me preface this post by saying I know NBC Sports Gold is far from perfect. In fact, just yesterday I sat at home annoyed as I waited almost an hour for the Arsenal-Wolves replay to become available via the Roku app after the match ended. If Gold isn't going to allow subscribers to watch a live match from the beginning, it at least needs to get each match replay up quickly. I woke about 15 minutes after kickoff, so I spent almost three hours essentially killing time while waiting for the chance to watch from kickoff.

With that out of the way, being able to legally watch every match on a legit channel/stream makes a lot of our complaints moot (to a certain extent). I too get annoyed when a match/show isn't available when it should be, and I hate how different a website can be from a streaming device app. But at the end of the day what we want is access to every match, and we're just a few years into having that capability.

All of these apps/sites have issues. B/R Live is terribly designed and lacks consistency from browser to browser and website vs. app; the ESPN app doesn't seem to store events for as long as it used to and getting to a match replay requires intimate knowledge of the 17 different menus on five different pages where it could be located; Gold might suddenly wait three days to get the Replay Show up when it had been making it available at the same time weekly like clockwork. They're consistently inconsistent, but they have the matches we want. As long as I can watch the matches I'm paying for, I'll suffer with growing pains a bit.

Note: I find the streaming experience significantly better via a streaming device. That said, some apps work better than others and there are instances when a website's capabilities (search, etc.) outpace that of its corresponding app.

Redbullsnation2012, TJNash and NorthBank repped this.
  5. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I've noticed that ESPN has a search feature on its Roku and Fire apps (a little magnifying glass icon in the upper right), so now we need no longer search through various menus to find replays; just enter the name of one of the teams in the match you want and it should come up with no trouble. In fact typing "FA" was enough for me to find this weekend's FA Cup matches on ESPN+.

Same thing goes for B/R, I just use the search feature to find the match I'm looking for without any problems.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. But I don't quite have your patience. One thing that bugs me about companies that re-engineer products or experiences... they seem fairly unaware of what the previous functionality was, and they don't use that functionality as a baseline for their new offering. Or perhaps they are aware but choose to ignore it, and just design their new product as if nothing preceded it. Either way, it always bugs me.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1282 QPR Kevin H, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

Looks like the bought the English rights so they can show the match on Telemundo and NBC Live streaming. So your cable/sat/OTA options for watching are Fox Deportes (still) + Telemundo.

bselig and EvanJ repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only DVR guide showed either of these. Jeesh.

9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Have patience for a match that has now been rescheduled 5 times :laugh:

TJNash, Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  10. bselig

bselig Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Incorrect about the English language part. They sublicensed Spanish rights from Fox Sports, and will be airing a competing Spanish telecast with Andres Cantor and friends on the call. https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemun...l-telemundo-sunday-dec-9?network=33144&lng=es

QPR Kevin H and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1286 NorthBank, Dec 5, 2018
    Gonna stream today's MNU-ARS match, using my cable provider login. Just to make sure it works, I just tested streaming a replay from yesterday. And what I found was that using EDGE I could not authenticate, but using CHROME I could.

I honestly can't remember which browser I've used in the past, but I don't recall Edge having a problem. Does that ring a bell with any of you?

p.s. Sadly another example of the wonkyness of today's streaming landscape (Edit: the stream of the pre-game show started on time but then crashed about 1 minute in... hopefully not a bad omen)

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I use Edge for streaming via various sites on my Surface and never have much of a problem. Though if you have problems signing in, clearing browser history usually does the trick in any browser.

13. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    #1288 beInSchwartz, Dec 5, 2018
    Anyone know if NBC Universo has a score ticker during games like NBCSN does? I was hoping to watch United/Arsenal without spoiling the other games, but didn't know if it was safe.

Edit: it's not safe. There's a surprise goal update thing that pops up underneath the score :(

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1289 NorthBank, Dec 5, 2018
    Could use a bit higher FPS and a bit fewer dropped frames. With NBC's viewer, there isn't a control that allows you to toggle to a lower resolution/quality in order to improve the fluidity?

Edit: There's a little signal strength icon and when I click it, it says current = 7Mbps, max = 7Mbps. But no way to control the resolution. Is 7Mbps too low? The streaming quality has been pretty poor through the first half.

Edit2: I figured out that poor frame rate & dropped frames was on my laptop and when I switched to my desktop that didn't happen as much. So I guess there's an issue with my laptop's video processor. BUT then on my desktop it just froze at 82' and wouldn't come back to life, so I switched back to my laptop. The joy of streaming today.

15. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mistake number 1 was using any of Microsoft crap browsers to view ANYTHING :D

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't use Edge. With Chrome I haven't had problems with NBC Sports video freezing or buffering.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The authentication problem was Edge-related. Chrome was fine.

The frame-rate & dropped-frames problem was browser-independent, but was hardware related. My laptop has both Intel(integrated-graphics) and NVidia(dedicated). But I subsequently found that my NVidia was largely disabled in their control-panel settings. I have since corrected that I think, and at first glance the streaming performance seems better. :)

What's also interesting about this, is that it was only NBC's streaming (and codec?) that I had problems with. Other services like ESPN+ (and particularly them) streamed beautifully, even with my NVidia disabled. Another plus for ESPN+... I guess the company that Disney bought for their streaming platform is paying dividends.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It was doubly unsafe on NBCSN. Not only the usual ticker but the commentator was also obsessed with what was happening at the other 5 grounds. I asked myself, why are they all-of-sudden interrupting their commentary of the match in front of them to mention other scores? Of course its because NBC usually only uses their own commentators for matches that have their own timeslot.

Lets hope they don't hire another commentary team of their own to do the 15h00 BT Saturday matches. Personally I don't care about the whole 'spoiling' thing, but its just distracting. When there are that many matches kicking-off around the same time, we're talking about probably 25-30 interruptions over the course of 90 minutes to mention goals and other key events from other games. Why? What does it add? :confused:

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I linked my buddy the NBC Sports app for the Boca-River match but he says the match does not appear on the Live&Upcoming events. I looked myself and he is right, nothing appears.

20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Redbullsnation2012 and SupaMario repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sweet, thanks. He was looking for an English-speaking commentating but, i'll just link him the Fox Sports app, which will have commentating from back home.

22. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Omly way to watch English commentary is through FS Match Pass

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Without giving away the result...
    I watched the Libertadores final on Fox Deportes.
    A friend of mine watched on Telemundo and near the end said that the station cut away to show a scheduled infomercial. About 3-5 minutes later I switched from FD to Telemundo to check it out and sure enough there was an infomercial.
    Anyone else experience this?

24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Could it be a local network thing? It was very last minute scheduling, and it went long.

Regardless, you have to go Fox Deportes to get Closs.

unclesox repped this.
  25. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, probably an affiliate thing. Telemundo in DC was fine all the way through.

unclesox repped this.