Nations League A, Camp 2, Canada/Cuba, Nov. 15/19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dander, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I took it to be more that tendonitis is a chronic condition that you can play through, but it will get progressively worse unless you rest. I figured it was probably a joint decision between Steffen, Berhalter, and Dusseldorf to let him take the international break to get a little better.

That said, this interpretation implies that the US braintrust doesn't see the Canada game as must win, and Stewart seemed to indicate as much in that interview from a week or two ago where he said he was willing to take some lumps to let the process unfold. I think this attitude is troubling, if I'm reading it correctly, since I think it should be a fireable offense not to advance out of a group with Cuba and Canada, as such a result would portend nothing good for the Hex.

2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m cool with that.

3. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Of course you are! Because it’s a much better midfield. People here complain a lot that the USMNT doesn’t have the same bite that they used to. THAT is a midfield with bite.

A lot of the time the lack of bite is attributed to the young players but I disagree. I think our young guys are pretty gritty. Especially compared to players like Bradley/Trapp etc.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    #729 smokarz, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Come on dude, look at the big picture.

How many players do they have that are getting regular minutes on EPL and BL teams?

While you're at it, Borjan is a freaking goalkeeper. He's no thread to score any goals against us.

Davies had 1 single CL game under his career so far. How many CL matches does Pulisic have? I'll just stop there.

Namdynamo and btlove repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Is this a joke? You are clearly one of the biggest offenders of judging players by different standards.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I really don't understand the hype around Lleget. What has he done that justify giving him the key to our attack and midfield?

Has he compete regularly at the highest level?

The talent we have is best deployed in the 4-2-3-1. With Pulisic in the center attacking role, and both Adams and McKennie behind him breaking up plays and linking defense to attack. That means we need to bleed in a few more young wingers and call in Fab Johnson, or might think about moving Yedlin or Dest to the wing position. Dest might be a very good candidate for a winger.

Our talents is in complete waste with 3G. How on earth did we hire this f*cking idiot as the coach?

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Don't just use your memory. Please provide some links/evidence. Would love to see any member of the US media, given the embarrassing situation of our team/federation, ripping on a guy getting some minutes with a top 5 team in the world. No offense, but I'm guessing this might have been a figment of your imagination.

I love Canada, but you guys are much more annoying fans than I realized. I always thought it was a confident country, but the inferiority complex is real, at least wrt soccer.

Namdynamo, rgli13, nbarbour and 2 others repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Let me just say this, you don't make into Chelsea, Shalke, RBL etc. starting 11 if you have no bite. Our MLS players are the ones that soft p***ssies. Get them off the pitch and see how much bite we have. Put Morales, McKennie, and Adams in the midfield and watch them boss the CONCACAF teams.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Guessing he's talking about our current team since this is about the next 2 games, rather than our "Best 11". Basically, any setup w/o MB/Trapp.

10. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Don’t talk to loud! Gotta keep expectation looooow

11. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    #736 btlove, Nov 9, 2019
    Yeah, I’m sure most Canada fans are fine but the ones here are weird. Had a Canadian fella mad because I said we should expect our team to dominate curaçao at home. Lol.

Also called me delusional for saying we should have played better versus Venezuela

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Morales can be interpreted two ways. Berhalter didnt think he was in the top 10+ midfielders when he should likely be starting with Adam's out. The other view is the threshold for euro guys is much higher. Berhalter didnt think he was starter level, so left him out.

The defenses of these decisions are just straw men. I havent seen anyone claim to be an expert scout and the players they are suggesting over the crap MLS players Berhalter keeps calling and playing, but that they deserve a shot.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://thecanadaguide.com/culture/anti-americanism/

If Canada ever does become better than the US at soccer, they're gonna be insufferable...

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A player doesn't have to compete regularly to at the highest level to be an effective National team player.

There's no hype around Lletget. He would simply be a niche player for the US. At this point in his career, Pulisic looks best when cutting in from the flanks.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We were better before the 90s and fans were just fine.

They aren't like that in hockey

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After today's game, he might have won his starting spot at only age 19 at LB. He not only dominated the game but he was the main reason Sancho was pulled after 36 minutes.
    You have to wonder if Herdman will resist the temptation to play him at LB against the US on Friday night. If he does, that's an extra offensive threat he can start against them (David & Cavallini).

IndividualEleven repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Look, I really like Davies and hope he turn out really good. But Canada need 10 more players like Davies. Just like thebUS need 10 more players like Pulisic, Adans, and McKennie.

We both need more players of that calibre in order to compete in the world stage.

But for Canada, besides Davies: who else do you have that is at the standards of Davies?

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tip of my head

Jonathan David
    Scott Arfield
    Lucas Cavallini

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see those guys starting for the US. Mainly Cavallini as US could use a strong forward that stays healthy. All in all, I don't think they are like Davies, but he is a rare guy.

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Sorry, never heard of these guys. Which super clubs they start at?

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Use google, without it, all the US players except Pulisic would be unknown to me ;)

onefineesq and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    19 years old Jonathan David is right up there with Davies.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You mean the standards of McKennie, Bradley and Morales, right? Because that is what they are up against. I mean, they aren't competing with themselves. They are competing against us.

24. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #749 cyberthoth, Nov 9, 2019
    If they were born in Germany and on a mid to lower table team sure.

Bradley is currently making 6 times what Morales is making. Lletget is making less however my point with him is he clearly brings more offensive talent. I wouldn't suggest playing Lletget over Morales if we need a more defensive role out of the player but I would if we need more offense and that has been an issue with the 8s we've IMHO lately.

At the end of the day if you remove the "Euro fairy dust" ridiculousness Morales has done nothing to lead us to believe he's anything special. He's a role player, like Bradley is now and Lletget. I think he's a reasonable starter with McKenny if we play two defensive minded 6/8s with a 10 above them.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bradley makes more than a lot of Big Leaguers who are better than him. That he makes more than Morales is irrelevant, especially as they aren't in the same league.

Bradley struggles at times to keep up with MLS level attackers. TFC have had to adjust the tactics to protect him.

Morales played well against Mexico. That has nothing to do with the league he plays in.