National Team Thread: 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by La Trucha, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Yup, it's confirmed on the FIFA website.

08 OCT 2017 - 16:00 Local time
    Friendly
    BBVA Compass Stadium
    Houston
    [​IMG]
    EL SALVADOR
    [​IMG]
    CANADA

2. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    We have one more in October and two in November. Wonder if we can get any more friendlier. Jamaica is available. There's also Nicaragua and Guatemala (if they ever get their ban lifted).

3. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    So the new list for the Canada friendly is out. Kind of disappointed at not seeing new faces. And younger player don't seem involved either. But seeing as its only 1 friendly, and 18 players were brought it, I guess it's ok.
    Is there any players you guys would like to see given a chance at the Nt?

Attached Files:

4. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    New Updated list, since the ******** up that is the first division aid they will not release players to the NT. Sad/interesting list. What y'all think?

Attached Files:

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    It’s weird to me Kevin Santamarria still didn’t get a call up he deserves a shot again

Blue_nation724 repped this.
  6. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oscar Sorto finally accepted a call up to Selecta? Told y'all it was bound to happen.

Cool to see Alexis (Cerritos' son) got called up, but I didn't think he was already a part of DC United's senior squad? If not, then this is potentially another Edgar Alvarez situation...

7. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Very true. He's been pretty good for Suchi. What do you think about Tobar getting snubbed?
    Finally chose ES after seeing the US would never call him up
    I think so too. I believe Cerritos wants to be part of ES. Hasn't he played for the younger ones already?

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As was expected, but I would've liked for him to have made this realisation earlier. Only a matter of time before Moreno, Zavaleta*, Flores and Amaya all come crawling. We need the depth for the 2022 WC cycle.

*Zavaleta is a weird one. First he says no, then yes, then no.

He was a part of either ES U-17 or U-20, but I'm not a fan of him being called up to the senior squad if he isn't fully pro at DC United.

9. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Idk, it feels a little shitty tbh. Being full of US rejects. But you're right, we need the depth.

As for Zavaleta, I think some of that has to do with the team he is in. He is next to two USMNT starters, Bradley and Altidore, who can easily be whispering sweet nothings into his ear about a NT callup. 'Bruce cannot bring anyone new because we're struggling in qualifying, but just wait and you will be called up.' That sort of thing. Maybe he's even been promised a January camp callup.

I disagree. An youth player getting a full NT call up can completely help the player. Alexis might learn some useful things under Lara, or might show some reason as to why he should be called up to D.C. first team.

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Jose Tobar? I don’t know much about him have you seen him play much?

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fortunately for us, we have enough talent at home that we won't ever see half of the team being USMNT rejects, unlike our Caribbean opponents which are mostly Oranje or British-born rejects. Not to mention Algeria, which is pretty much a team of Les Bleus rejects.

I'd say we're more comparable to Turkey. Most players are Turkish, with only a handful being German nationals. Heck, even USMNT has a handful of German nationals too, so I don't really think it's that big a deal.

I'm not sure if Arena would be revealing to Bradley and Altidore that he's thinking of calling up Zavaleta, but I guess it makes sense that Zavaleta is aware that Arena watches his team play, and so is still trying to impress him.

If he has to wait until after the 2018 WC to see that Arena is not interested, then so be it. I want him, Moreno and Amaya around for the 2022 WCQ.

Alexis is 17 and has already decided to represent ES, so why the rush to getting him in the senior NT? D.C. United sees him everyday, and they know ES is interested in him, so I'm sure he does not need a NT call up for them to realise he is good.

On the other hand it's still a friendly. Lara may not be calling him or Sorto up to play, but rather to see them train and how fare up with everybody else.

12. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Sadly, in LA they don't really give the small teams in ES and Guate the show times. I saw when he played municipal. He seems to be a very simple player, take the ball away and give it to the player who knows what to do with the ball. Would think he is better than Menjivar, and he seems to be a NT mainstay.

13. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    That is something that's very true. Would love to see ES have all those talents come up big though (i.e. Henriquez, Granitto, Peña, so forth).

Obviously not. But it wouldn't be the first time NT players try to convince a player to stay with their NT (Diego Costa with Spain, Rafinha with Brazil).
    I would like to see Zavaleta paired with Dominguez in a game...

Many times a young player can be brought in to see what he can do in the NT. Some recent examples in other NT would be (kinda going on a limb here) Pulisic with the US. Nandez with Uruguay. And Brazil even calling up Gabigol for a while (though he has taken a back seat for now).

14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah what's going on with those guys? Haven't heard about them in a while.

Yes, but the major difference is those players are already playing senior football with their clubs, and Alexis is not. Hell, even Fito, Pineda and Dominguez were all teens when they made their debuts with Selecta and they were already playing pro with their clubs.

Blue_nation724 repped this.
  15. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Sporadic playing time with the three you mentioned above I would have thought that Granitto would have gotten a much better opportunity but he is in and out of the Timbers II line-up that it looks bleak.

16. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well, Grimm answered the first part.

Ehh, agree to disagree. I think Alexis will gain a lot from this, and it will push him upward in terms of playing for D.C. I would have even called Sarravia, the other D.C. that plays with Alexis

17. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No worries. Yeah I recently learnt there were two other Salvadoran-Americans at the DC United academy; Saravia and Everson Amaya. I think Saravia had been called up to Azulita in the past, while Amaya took another route and has been capped to USBNT.

18. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Will the game today Ben on any channel or website, or radio?

19. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Canada will be streaming it live through their website.

20. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Canada’s YouTube channel will show it

21. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Awesome. Thanks guys!!!

22. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    They pull out the 1-0 victory over Canada. It will help the fifa ranking though this was a perfect game to play some of the younger guys. Nice to see Alvarez can still provide a bit of a spark but will see how much of a role he plays moving forward. Both teams were in poor form but I will take anything positive after primitivo’s run and the recent drama that almost derailed this game

23. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who scored? And how did newcomers Sorto and Alexis perform?

24. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Denis Pineda scored. It has been 20 years since we beat Canada. Hopefully this is the beginning of turning the tide.

I tooned out for a big chunk of the game I am not sure if Sorto came in. Alexis just came in for a few minutes towards the end. He ball watched on some plays but unlike Edgar Alvarez a few years ago it didn’t feel like he should give up the sport so that is good

25. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I still don't see why we call Menjivar and Burgos, very very poor from them. But the goal was very nice. Very good back line as well. Derby was weak as always, though saved the ones he should have. Alexis only played about 6 min, though he did pretty well, he shows some game awareness. Let's see where this team can go. Would have liked a second friendly. Hopefully we have some November friendlies!!

Willsant87 repped this.