National Pool for 06

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eliezar, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: National Pool for 06

what's your problem with barcaly?
    and yes ... go right ahead and move to canada or wherever. tell alec baldwin hello for me, too.

2. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'd say Bruce knows this. I'd say it's the main reason there was MUCH less experimenting with callups in the defense late in the cycle before JK than there was in the midfield and up top -- much to the chagrine of some of us on the boards.

He was looking only at very experience professionals who would be able to "meld" together quickly into a unit as opposed to some of the possible more talented but much less experienced younger guys.

So the key will be getting the younger guys the experience TOGETHER so that they develop into a tight unit.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spoken like a true DC fan.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly don't you like about Rimando except for the fact that he makes some simply brilliant saves at times?
    So does every other keeper in the league at times.
    I have seen him play quite a few games now,,,he is very athletic, I will give him that. I just don't think he is national team quality. Maybe for a friendly here or there, but I would not want him in there during qualifying or in the Cup.

One thing Rimando does very well is come off his line to snuff out scoring opportunities

as shown against taylor twellman twice during 1v1 situations two weeks ago.

He is a pretty good keeper, one of the better ones in MLS....But he is not Keller or Friedel caliber and I don't think he ever will be.

5. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tick, I don't think we'll see Devin Barclay play a role in the USMNT for qualifying or the WC but I do think he might get called in. I believe he is younger and actually better than Albright was when BA toyed around with Albright.

6. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Rimando is one of the better keepers in the league. He just is not getting the positive attention because DC sucks big time this year, again. If they had scored more goals, and hence won more games, more people would be praising Rimando. It's like a pitcher, if you allow one hit which is a HR and your team gives you a big ZERO you still lose.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I agree with your assessment in comparison to Keller and Friedel.. We don't have any keepers in MLS on their level..

As for your example above, please, it's a little easier to come out on a player who breaks through close to goal rather than a player like Twellman who had a basic half field head start and was bearing down one v one..

I expect any striker worth their salt to simply round the keeper or slot it by them..

What I was referring to were examples in tight confines.. Though it is impossible to do, rewatch the Thursday night MLS match against the Metrostars to see such an example of coming off the line to snuff out chances.. Also, United's 4-2 win over San Jose was chock full of spectacular saves while San Jose was leading in the second half which allowed United the ability to come back with 3 unanswered goals in 15 minutes to salt the match away..

I'm not saying Rimando is world class, but he has shown now for 2 seasons that he is in the upper class of MLS keepers and deserves a look as much as Cannon, Thornton and Meola do...

8. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I'm probably too hard on him. I just hate the way he plays. He doesn't seem to be a team player, which can be okay if you've got the talent of Mathis, but he certainly doesn't have that.

Honestly, I don't think he has earned a spot in MLS. I think he's an A League player. So the thought of him being on the national team is very distasteful to me.

You compared him to Albright... another A League-level player IMO.

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barclay isn't as good as say the A league's Josh Henderson and he isn't even a dominating player in the A league 8(

But he's definitely the type of player BA will want to watch. I mean BA has suited up Bobby Convey and Chris Albright for the nats and frankly neither of them have been able to make a mark on MLS. I'd have to see him play a bit more. Only seen him in person once.

10. jelliot

jelliot Member

Jun 10, 2002
    DC, Adams Morgan
    I know it is a little premature to be picking the 23 man roster for 06 World Cup, but I am going to do it anyways. Some of these players are not citizens yet, but they should get there American Citizenship when 06 rolls around.

Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, (If Keller does not want to suit up I would like to see Jonny Walker or Nick Rimondo get the nod.)

Tony Sanneh, Eddie Pope, Pablo Mastroeni, Steve Cherundolo, Carlos Bocanegra, Ryan Suarez, Cory Gibbs.

Demarcus Beasley, Langdon Donavan, John O'brien, Claudio Renya, Richard Mulrooney, Brian West, Ben Olsen, Dema Kovalenko.

Clint Mathis, Josh Wolff, Taylor Twellman, Conor Casey.

I left one spot open for a player that just has not shown anything so far. Maybe a Kyle Martino or a Bobby Convey.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that we have better defenders in 06 than a 33 year old pope and a 35 year old sannah. Also I don't think we need Kovelenko either. We have have younger players that I think will be better than him come 06. I think thorrington will get some callups soon and may have a spot on the team. Where is Freddy? A team without Freddy?