NASL To Launch Canadian League Under NASL Banner

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USAUnited33, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe Canada could have a national league with 14-16 clubs:
    - Victoria, Surrey-Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Regina or London or KWC, Hamilton, Missaussaga, York-Toronto-Oshawa, Ottawa, Quebec City, Laval, Monterégie, Montreal and Halifax)

And if this league was successfful Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC and Montreal Impact will be forced to join by fans request/popularity.

2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forced to go back to D2 - don't think so.

Bluesfan repped this.
  3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Ah...the internet.

Where solutions are easy and reality need not apply.

artml and Bluesfan repped this.
  4. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Canadian League will be D1 in Canada not D2!

5. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Not really, the problema with Canada right now is tryiing to replicate US model, instead of more "low cost" model like the majority of the countries in the world.

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we aren't going to have a system with promotion and relegation then I would prefer to see the Canadian teams in their own national D1 league. MLS will have no promotion and relegation. NASL might - they are certainly more open minded to it.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing though, it's not MLS' or the NASL's decision to make. Promotion/Relegation is a decision that the USSF & CSA would make.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #183 oneeyedfool, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    If NASL decides to make a NASL2 which meets say D3 standards, could USSF stop them from having pro/rel - and if so why would they as long as both leagues met the standards of their tier classification?

Anyway, I am a supporter of Canadian teams in U.S. leagues but only temporarily as both grow stronger. Then either we need pro/rel or the Canadians to take the leap into their own D1.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as the USSF and CAS determine the structure of their professional, semi-professional and amateur leagues, yes they could stop them.

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA wants pro/rel, so I doubt USSF/CAS would try to stop them even if they could.

11. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the DOJ already is. ;)

Bluesfan repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a mandate, is it documented?

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #188 Zoidberg, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Very open minded for pro/rel to MLS where their teams and leagues value would sky rocket overnight.....not so much for pro/rel with the NPSL it would seem;).

C-Rob repped this.
  14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL.

Yeah, FIFA has wanted leagues to do a lot of things.

Do some research and see what happens when they try and they are told to F off....reducing the number of teams in leagues, and limit the number of club matches for instance.

FIFA can bully poor leagues and couuntries.....otherwise ha.

15. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll give the benefit of the doubt because you don't live here but
    1) That league would never be successful
    2) The fans' request would be to stay in MLS no matter what
    3) By the time a Cdn league gets going the 3 MLS clubs would be worth about $1.5 billion combined. Who is paying the owners that to basically flush their franchises down the toilet? The CSA? The new Cdn league?

Bluesfan, socceralpha and xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I think it could but not right now.

I see this happen in 5 years, maybe in 2020, starting with a D2.

However, first Canada must have more teams in MLS, NASL and USL.

Could NASL add new teams from Canada?

For example, one in Toronto (Peel , Halton or Hamilton. Ontario Lakers FC) and one in Montreal (Monterégie. Quebec Riverines or PioneersFC).

\

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    and so this thread goes full circle.....starts with "nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-under-nasl-banner" and returns to "Could NASL add new teams from Canada?"

;) ;) :)

18. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Until the CSA lifts the ban on Canadian-based teams playing in American D3 or higher leagues we won't see any of this. Even having teams in lower divisions (PDL) is being messed with where the CSA has sanctioned a Canadian D3.

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    maybe I am not understanding your post....but if the CSA has banned teams from playing in "American D3 or higher leagues" how do we have 3 teams in MLS (D1) and 2 in NASL (D2)?

20. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Sorry, an error, I meant "joining" not playing. Shortly after the Easton Report and Ottawa joining the NASL the CSA put a ban on any new teams in Canada to participate in D3 or higher leagues that were not wholly Canadian based.

Supposedly this was for the benefit of the proposed C-League to be created. As well as the launching of Canadian D3 regional leagues.

So far it has allowed some growth of regional D3 leagues (L10) without competition from the USL. Bob Young was looking at a USL team in Hamilton at one time as well. Whether or not a C-League is actually coming, the jury is still out on.

Just to clarify as well. If the C-League does materialize it would be considered D1 not D2. Titles to the divisions within nations is up to their own governing soccer association's sanctioning. The CSA will designate this league as D1 and that does not change their designation of MLS teams as D1 either. Two sets of D1 teams in different leagues would be compatible with the CSA.

If the C-League does not materialize, the next best option would be expansion into the NASL or to work out an all Canadian Division within the NASL frame work. Although the CSA has problems with that as well...

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Canadian Soccer Association has banned any more teams from playing in U.S. 3rd division leagues. I don't think the "or higher" part is correct. They are allowing the Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal MLS teams to have reserve teams in the USL but they say no more.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't find this CSA ban on joining 1st and 2nd division U.S. leagues. I know about the D3 ban but not for the higher leagues.

23. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I recall CSA not sanctioning new Canadian teams in American Leagues from D3 and LOWER (ie USL, PDL, NPSL....) unless there was NOT a Canadian D3 league they could join - which is why Calgary got a PDL team.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal got special dispensation to have their reverse teams in the USL providing they met certain criteria, and sanctioning would be reviewed on a yearly basis.

24. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  25. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are under the NASL banner - or so the thread title says.