NASL is no longer considering suing US Soccer for anti-trust over division 1 status

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gstommylee, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3026 Bill Archer, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Actually there were two "Tiger" tanks in the movie.

Both were mocked up on T 34/85 chassis.

The only working Tiger in the world is owned by the Tank Museum in Boddington England and only became operational again in 2012 when they installed a more or less original Maybach engine. Prior to that it was on display but not moveable.

It is going to appear in an upcoming Brad Pitt movie which cannot possibly top his last WWII movie:

"I'm in the Nazi killing business, and cousin, business is booming"

The only operational King Tiger (Tiger II) is owned by the French.

Interestingly, there will soon be two more. (There are only nine known to exist in any condition although two more are open to question)

One is the tank currently being restored by the US at Fort Benning.

The other is one being rebuilt by the infamous, possibly insane Kevin Wheatcroft in England, who is building it mostly from parts he purchased one at a time scattered all over Eastern Europe.

He began with about 29% of an original.

Some people claim this will not be an actual survivor but rather a so-called "FrankenTank". However that may be, his work was enhanced recently when he found a warehouse in Germany containing a number of brand new original stock Maybach tank engines circa 1945.

The hardest part to find for all these projects is the main gun. When a tank crew had to abandon their machine, usually due to lack of gas, the easy way to make it useless was to raise the cannon and drop a grenade in it, shattering the end of the gun.

The thing was still driveable but without a gun it was of no value.

Wheatcroft actually found an intact Tiger II cannon stuck halfway into the mud at a marina in Poland someplace. The members tied their sailboats up to it.

If you're up to it, there's a known Tiger II under a major highway in France someplace. It was partially destroyed but is apparently intact and they simply built a road over it.

The French are willing to let it be recovered but will not pay a dime of the cost. So all one needs to do is build a functional four lane highway bypass, dig out the tank, and then return the highway it its original condition.

So far no one has been willing.

sitruc and Stuart95 repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Speaking of Kevin Wheatcroft, here's a profile. Insane? Pretty much.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/24/the-man-who-sleeps-in-hitlers-bed

Bill Archer repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 2 seasons in (working through actual DVDs since I don't have Starz). Feels rough in some places, great in others. Plus the actor who plays Vane is showing up all over the place these days.

Zoidberg repped this.
  4. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3029 Bill Archer, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    We'll, it's not to my tastes, but to each his own.

And he does.personally own the biggest and baddest collection.of WWII armor anywhere.

Of course he also owns Hitlers favorite car, among much much else.

Just a few days ago someone in Maryland auctioned off Hitlers personal phone. It went for a quarter million bucks to an anonymous bidder. Many people assume it's Wheatcroft..

Some people believe all this adds up to him being an insane Nazi. I myself just don't know. History buffs are a funny bunch.

Zoidberg repped this.
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example of a series that ran too long.. Although, I haven't seen any of the episodes since the original run ended, so it may have recovered.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    My wife watched just for him.

I think "rough" is a very good word to describe it early on. Season three then becomes solid, to very good, as the characters become deeper and the story becomes more complex. It will never come off as great, but I guarantee if you stick with it, it becomes something you want to watch. The highs really start to outweigh the lows. The plot/character twists are solid, somewhat unexpected and fit the story. They aren't done because the viewer needs to be impressed.

The fourth season is almost half over, and they are certainly pushing it along quickly. Resolution is not a problem on Black Sails. It may not have the overall quality of season three, but it has done the job a show should...I'm entertained and I want to see what happens next show.

Edit...just found out recently that M Bey is a producer. Knowing that the show is downright Shakespearean!:D

Yup...guilty pleasure indeed.:p

Bill Archer and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I saw a rerun playing of an old XFiles a while back. Talk about an all time great series if they had only gone four/five seasons with less episodes Was that good at one point. By season three of Lost I started to realize I was wasting my time.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What movie is that? He has had 2 since Inglorious Bastards.

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's called Angelina Apocalypse.

Bill Archer and Stuart95 repped this.
  10. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I found the most two recent series of Red Dwarf (X and XI) to be a good return to form. Plenty of laugh out loud moments

Zoidberg, JasonMa and Yoshou repped this.
  11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, having killed the better part of a very nice bottle of cabernet, I feel moved to add that currently the real prize is the only extant intact Hotchkiss H35 - also called a Char B1.

A superior French light tank, they were all seized by the Germans when they overran France and most of them were converted into mobile artillery platforms or tank destroyers.

But there's one lying about 200 yards off the coast of Dunkirk for some reason. It's reportedly in very good shape, having been buried in soft mud for 70 years, but recovery is estimated at around 3 million dollars.

12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Seasons 2, 3, 4 of Babylon 5 were tremendous because JMS knew exactly what he was doing. There are some good parts of seasons 1 and 5 and about every other movie was okay. Excellent writing can overcome a lot and it did on this series. If you can get over the effects and some costumes, the show is well worth watching for anyone who like sci-fi and hasn't seen it.

Totally agree on new BSG. Fantastic till it dead dropped.

The Franchise and JasonMa repped this.
  13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that The Americans committed to plan and is sticking with it. Two more seasons, the full one startling next month and a shorter one a year later and it's done. This will also make it much easier to binge watch in the future.

xtomx and The Franchise repped this.
  14. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Whatever faults Chris Carter has (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChrisCarterEffect) He really has a good sense of talent. The X-Files put together one of the best production staffs ever. You go through the list of writers, directors, and producers for The X-Files and it's a incredibly talented group Think about the show made by these people after the X-Files ("Man in the High Castle", "24", "Homeland", "Breaking Bad")

And he was the one who saw the potential in the very talented Gillian Anderson OBE; for which male nerds everywhere are grateful
    [​IMG] .

napper and JasonMa repped this.
  15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I like a good time travel movie. Movies with lower budgets, have the best story lines.

Primer is an amazing movie shot on a shoestring budget.

Predestination is a slightly bigger budget movie, but also amazing.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I watched some of the first season but found it too dark to watch on a regular basis. That might be because I know what happened to the families of the real-life spies on whom the show is loosely based. I'm haunted by the notion of an elementary-school girl coming home from a neighbor's pool party and finding out she's about to be exiled to Russia, which she's never seen and knows nothing about. I know kids are resilient, but that's a killer.

But it's a quality show, and I'd be happy just to watch a Keri Russell highlight reel. And I think it's smart that they have a definitive end date. I hope it ends with the fall of the Soviet Union. I'm fascinated to see what the family would do after the Wall falls. Philip would probably be thrilled to walk away from the spy game and be a simple travel agent in America. Elizabeth, though, is a true believer. What would she do?

billf, Nidal Baba Superstar and JasonMa repped this.
  17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I stopped watching the Americans once Man in the High Castle arrived.

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I stopped checking this thread and it got interesting. (I hope that was just a coincidence.)

Allow me to contribute my favorite Inglorious Basterds line, which is only funny thanks to Pitts accent :

"He got outta Munich, became American, got drafted, come back to give ya’ll what fer."

Bill Archer repped this.
  19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Keri Russell. Total milf. She aged very well and I like her acting in the Americans

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just finished The Man in the High Castle last night. Interested what Season 3 will bring.

I have watched every minute of The Americans. I think it is an excellent show.

21. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Best Thread Ever!!!!!

Wasn't "Fury" (the movie) a WWII film?... Inglorious Basterds wanst the last Pitt WWII movie...

I haven't seen the film btw

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Has anyone else seen Fury. The entire end was just unnecessary.

Kejsare repped this.
  23. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    but, but, but the nice German. See those Nazi weren't so bad after all.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard about the show, quick question, do they say what happened to the Jewish people (all non-white people) in the Nazi occupied lands?

I mean it is a good way for a show to not have to cast minority actors, they can just say well the Nazis killed them all off. (they do I assume have a good amount of Asian actors).

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Nazis killed almost all of them. There are references to eradicating "Semites".

Two of the characters are Jewish and both live San Francisco, in the "Japanese Pacific States" (the west coast of the US and Canada, run by the Japanese). One is openly Jewish with his children (at least within their home). The second (who is one of four "main" characters) is hiding his Jewish roots to avoid extradition to the "Greater Nazi Reich" (the country east of the Rockies) and face probably execution.

Yes, a large portion of the actors are Asian. Also, about 5% of the dialogue is in either Japanese or German.

ceezmad repped this.