NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Have you ever had Vietnamese head cheese (giò thủ)? A wonder to behold, and seasonally appropriate at this time of year!

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Ahhh, it all comes out in the wash.

What about @ElJefe’s post didn’t you understand? MLS has delivered, and then some. We have the game being played by the same rules in the same way as most of the rest of the world. We have development academies. The things you are asking for. So there’s no pro/rel. Who was going to do it in 1996? It took what, 15 years give or take for teams in the USL to even get their shit together and make the jump to MLS. Remember Rochester? Everyone’s darling to be the “next” MLS club around the time of contraction? Let me know when they next kick a ball in anger.

Look, I get it. You want “your team” to have a shot at glory. Well, MLS wasn’t set up that way. Sorry. Once upon a time I used to dream MLS could be more like England (although the Scottish playoff system made-and still makes-a lot of sense). But without 50 years or so of successful soccer in today’s business climate, I just can’t see how you can make your pipe dream work without bankrupting club after club after club on travel.

So go ahead and incrementally move the goalposts with your comments until everyone’s eyes are open to the benefits of p/r. Which are what exactly? Cutting in the lower leagues on what MLS has established? Never going to happen. Maybe one day when you have 30 billionaires willing to get in a room and divide MLS in two, then you might see the olive branch extended to the lower divisions owners who are rich enough to make the leap. Which is probably another 15 years down the road at a minimum. So sit back, relax and enjoy it for what it is. Or follow the English pyramid. Ask yourself if the fans of Oldham, Portsmouth and Wimbledon enjoy p/r as much as you.

Thx,

Jay!

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    And this? LOL

I grew up in the 70’s/80’s. NASL was a zero register to me living in DE. Two hrs away from NY, DC, Bal & Philly. You’d be relying solely on people in their late 50’s to 70’s who remember world greats playing at the Meadowlands. The same people who won’t give your league five minutes today. There’s been no salary cap on the American second division for years, why haven’t they started to sign these household names like the NASL did in the 70’s?

The potential audience of geezers pining for the logo of the Washington Diplomats to return is small enough to begin with, and dwindling every time you open the obits. Time to move on and embrace what we have.

Thx,

Jay!

El Naranja and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you mean Muenster?

So the league with the right model failed within 8 years, while the league with the wrong model is thriving.

No they made worse mistakes. The old NASL lasted 16 years.

And seeing as you mentioned old NASL names, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps seem to be selling out every game.

No, promotion and relegation were never part of the new NASL's business plan. They only jumped on the bandwagon when the league fell apart.

No goalpost moving. The standards were introduced in 2010.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The "Pro League Standards are killing us" argument is so tired and so very, very wrong.

The PLS were revised in 2010, mostly with the intent of settling the USL breakaway war. Frankly, it benefited the NASL. They were able to trumpet themselves as a D2 that had legitimately tougher standards than D3.

In 2014, they were tweaked a bit more, and the NASL didn't object.

In 2015, a proposal to revise them again DID draw objection from the NASL, and that proposal was withdrawn.

Now you can argue that the PLS are hurting would-be D3 clubs that can't find a decamillionaire. I'm working on something on that front. It's a legitimate question.

But for NASL 4.0 owners and the front office to gripe about standards that were just fine for NASL 2.0 and 3.0 in 2010 and 2014 is sheer baloney.

billf, Bluecat82, mbar and 15 others repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I once went to a game at Elland Road and the guy in the place where I parked my car was Boomhauer, reincarnated with a Yorkshire accent. "Roit, mate, free quid. Yuh mumble-mumble-mumbe, an aafta thu match, ge ba' onna moa-uh-way an Bob's yuur ooncle..."

Pegasus repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually work with a guy with the nickname Boomhauer. I've worked with him long enough that I don't have any trouble understanding him.

BalanceUT and ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot cheese? No, that would be fondoue, we're not discussing that.

Green and BLue, BalanceUT and Stuart95 repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'ever see "Henri pis sa gang (Les Rois du Texas)?" I was in Montreal once and it was absolutely hilarious to see KotH in French. No, Boomhauer is no more understandable with a Quebecois accent than he is speaking Appalachian.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="ToMhIlL, post: 36347790, member: 3921No, Boomhauer is no more understandable with a Quebecois accent than he is speaking Appalachian.[/QUOTE]

That is East Texas. Pretty thick stuff especially when fast.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, what do I know? I live in a place where they take the R from one part of the word and move it to the end, as in "You caaan't drive a caah t' Chiner, it's too faaah.

I remember reading an article about when Mike Judge was doing Beavis and Butthead, someone called and left a message on their answering machine in a thick Appalachian accent that they couldn't even understand, and they figured they could spin that whole thing into a character. Must have been one of those "Dude, you GOT TO listen to this!" moments.

12. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Ironically, the only part of that quote I understood was "mumble-mumble-mumble".

Bluecat82, Bill Archer and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's just Tom. Roll with it.

14. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Oh, I know. I love his stuff.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna cross the streams and try to imagine a Scottish Boomhauer.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time I went to Elland Road , I was getting off a local bus and this kid with as bunch of leaflets asked me if I was a racist. When I said no he started screaming at me. Ah, good times.

Sachsen repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he have orange skin? Just asking for a friend.

Sounders78 and superdave repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but an ultra right wing party was using soccer as a recruiting ground back then (early 80s). A similar thing happened to me at Chelsea.

19. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extra sharp cheddar.

How will cheese disappoint Knave this weekend?

Green and BLue and BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me...you said crossing the streams would be bad.

21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it just came out that the appeal has been rejected and the NASL will NOT be receiving an injunction to be D2! The lawsuit will continue but the league is all but dead at the moment.

sitruc repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This tweet and the following comments..............

sitruc, TheJoeGreene, DanGerman and 2 others repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’ll be all she wrote for NASL 2.0... If the organization exists at all going forward from the owners who want to continue the suit... it’ll simply be as a legal entity. As a functioning league they’re done.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh.. Commisso and Silva will carry it on to try and get their pound of flesh out of USSF.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States