NASL Expansion News, Rumors and Wishful Thinking Thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by oneeyedfool, Mar 14, 2015.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on, is this part of the rest of your super dooper secret sources? Remind us again of your credentials or at least one prophetic prediction that was close to true.

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I would have to disagree here. Considering Miami FC has a foreign owner, Ft Lauderdale was bought by Brazilians last year, and the Rowdies partnership with a Brazilian club. There is evidence suggesting there is a decent amount of foreign interest in the league.

3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a big announcement coming soon for Sacramento Republic FC right before Preki left, the Phoenix Wolves->Arizona United thing on point and even Gio as manager of the Cosmos way back.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It would make sense for NASL to court foreign owners.

However, foreign carpet baggers have shown over the the years that they generally are not committed, are looking for a quick buck, and unfortunately try and play by the rules of the country they came from.....most of the time that ain't good, if you catch my drift.

The Brazilian interest in Florida markets makes a ton of sense considering the changing demographic, and Brazilian tourism.

As usual when it comes to soccer, when I see it I'll believe it.

Any news on Hartford?

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Probably on the scrap heap with many others who had guts to try and fell on their face during the wasteland years.

There were quite a few quite honestly, trying to build leagues like the ASL and old A League, others trying to get smaller ventures to grow. They had balls, but the interest and faith in the game here simply wasn't there.

You can't imagine the scenario with the interest and acceptance there is now.....you are old enough to remember.

There was no interest...it was depressing. No amount of balls was gonna change that.

bullsear repped this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ???Why would that piss off Garber?

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's not what I was taking issue with.

You seem to be suggesting that foreign interest is a good thing.

Like several others have as well, I'm pointing out that the history of soccer in this country (including some quite recent history) strongly suggests otherwise. Foreign ownership has generally proven to be unstable and ineffective ownership.

Say what you will about Hunt, Kraft, Kroenke and Anschutz, but if you're not getting the likes of those guys, your American league isn't going anywhere.

8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I never said or meant to imply it was a good thing, only that foreign interest in the NASL may be a by-product of the MLS focusing on local ownership.

bullsear repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did?

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is true. Clive Toye discovered the new ASL in 1988 and Peter Bridgwater did the same with the WSA in 1985 and both leasgues ended up merging into the APSL and then what would become the USL. The indoor MISL at the time also did nothing to help the outdoor game.

Zoidberg repped this.
  11. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read some of his previous posts.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Woops! For got about the MISL. I agree that it didn't help anyone's cause. It was fun and bigh scorin for Muricans!

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarsse as Cosmos coach, well that eliminates Bill Peterson...

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CEO of Sprint is not local?

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man this sounds a bit Xenophobic.

I wonder if the English feel the same about foreign ownership of EPL teams.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Why?

I thnk you sound just a wee bit over sensitive, radical PC on this one.

Outside of the very top leagues the business of owning a club soccer team is very sketchy.

From South America, to Africa, Eastern Europe, smaller teams in western Europe, Italy, most of Asia....the business is run in a very nebulous fashion. Transfers, kickbacks, gray areas, third parties, corporate comtrol, shady unreputable money, governments involved...like Putin forcing companies to keep teams afloat,etc, etc, etc.....I could go on.

The business of club soccer around the world is a sketchy one at best.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In all seriousness, no. As I understand it, he lives full time near Sprint HQ, meaning he's local for SKC, not Miami.

Indeed, that Howler article a while back suggested that there's been exceedingly little local, or even on the ground involvement for the Beckham group in Miami. Which is part of the reason they've been delayed so long getting their act together.

ceezmad repped this.
  18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #593 Zoidberg, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Add the way the likes of Chelsea have stockpiled loan players, Manc Citeh with those funny set ups they use to ensure that FP rules were meaningless, that Lithuanian clown at Hearts, etc....it has been a concern.

Not just foreigners....Yanks at Man U, the Leeds debacle....the Portsmouth disaster.

Sorry man...club soccer outside of our borders is run like a s**tshow.

Foreign investment rarely is committed or long term here. No reason to trust it until it proves different.

19. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I would agree. Typically having local ownership in sports is preferred.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in that case our owner (chicago) is also not local, so another example that helps your point.

How local is the new LA team owner, the main money guy is Vietnamese-American right? Is LA his main local city?

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Nguyen is moving to LA full time for the team. It was, I gather, a condition MLS demanded for the LAFC deal.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When your a billionaire you live wherever. He maintains a home in Miami and wife and kids are there most of the year. He's lived there longer than anyone at Miami FC.

23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He called the joint affiliation between the Sac Republic and the Quakes/ Timbers last year too.

Blueballs has been pretty legit IMO

oneeyedfool repped this.
  24. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone here in the SF area and able to make it to the SF City FC meeting tonight? Should be interesting to hear if they are the potential NASL team mentioned by Blueballs69

25. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen anyone talk about it so very doubtful.