NASL Expansion News, Rumors and Wishful Thinking Thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by oneeyedfool, Mar 14, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When Calloway coached the Syracuse Salty Dogs, he told me they did pretty well. Its surprising they only lasted a year without anyone interested in putting forth a team there.

2. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sounds like a rent issue. The costs of playing in the Syracuse Chiefs baseball stadium probably killed them.

The Irish Rover and jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    So PRFC is going to be holding a press conference next week, according to Carmelo at a press conference for on of his charities. The report also says that the press conference could be use to announce the GM or both the GM or Coach. It also states that Carmelo and his team have been feeling out the local leagues for possible cooperation between the team and local organizations. Finally it clarifies that Carmelo didn't pay for the name of the club from the previous trademark holder, a local amateur team, they waved their rights freely.

http://futbolboricua.co/puerto-rico-fc-hara-anuncios-la-semana-que-viene/

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  4. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who doesn't cross-read expansion forums, the above link was dropped in the USL forum but is more probably PR Islander related.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the new PR team will not be Islanders, and them and the hawks are in nasl.

I think the guys got the teams wrong and it is USL/MLS related.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  7. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I would rather see them try to find some more US teams anyways. Especially in the Midwest and West.

brentgoulet and oneeyedfool repped this.
  8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Canadian cities are headed to the C-League being formed by the CSA and CFL investors according to Duane Rollins.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/c-league-cities-r5374

Peterson's backtracking on Canada offers some credibility to the C-League story only Rollins is reporting at this point. Apparently announcements are waiting on seeing if Ottawa and Edmonton can be poached from NASL. Edmonton being the harder get due to the owners investment in NASL itself.

The league's target cities are: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina in addition to the two NASL sides. MLS city teams would be unaffiliated with the MLS teams. The term "Welsh model" is used to describe the relationship between this league and the MLS teams, ie Cardiff and Swansea play in the English system and Wales still has its own league. Will be interesting to see if like Wales the league champion goes to the Champions League.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  9. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Latest info has FC Edmonton definitely staying in the NASL for now, Ottawa is a maybe for the C-League (2017 start).

oneeyedfool repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annnnnnnnd, no. Whitbread went to PRFC.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One reporter.

Zero named sources.

Bluesfan repped this.
  12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    For the life of me I don't know why the Ottawa club would switch leagues. They just paid an expansion fee to the NASL and now they are going to pay another fee to the CSA? Why would they pay additional money to play in a league that will be of a lesser quality, has less chance than the NASL to survive, and zero expansion capability?

Doesn't really matter, I seriously doubt this league makes it off the drawing board just like all the other schemes that have seen the light of day in Canada.

13. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If FC Edmonton doesn't jump, they will likely face having a C-League team in town.

Unless of course this entire Canadian D1 is all in Duane Rollins mind. We kind of need other sources and something more concrete.

The One X repped this.
  14. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And that is why this league will go nowhere. They expect to compete against three existing MLS clubs and possibly two Nasl clubs? Good luck lasting more than a few seasons.

15. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    You have to think that if the CSA really wants to do this that they would come back to the NASL and try to get some relationship there. It just makes such better business sense AND they can get the Canadian Teams (OTT/EDM) in a less chaotic way. Have the CSA under the NASL banner. Have a "championship" between US/CAN NASL divisions. Share the TV revenue and have limited inter-league play. You could easily have a strong 20-24 North American league.

Sporting Real and greenroom repped this.
  16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They likely would be more interested in this option if they felt that Canadians were being developed to the level (both in numbers and in quality) in the NASL that they needed. If the C-League comes about and is only Canadian, they obviously feel that the development of Canadian players isn't enough being 2nd fiddle in the MLS/NASL/USL and feel they need their own league to help that process. The CSA likely wants to control the requirements for the league more than they can in the NASL.

Also ... "Share the TV revenue" ... what? They have a national TV contract that teams receive money by being a part of? I missed that announcement. I didn't think the NASL clubs shared anything, they're clubs, not "franchises" and don't have to share revenue like that single entity crap others are a part of!

17. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes a little bit of sense ...which means it won't happen.

18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want 10-12 Canadian teams in NASL. Only really Calgary and Hamilton in addition to what we already have. I would rather have more USA teams.

Blando13 and The One X repped this.
  19. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the whole thing with Traffic USA and FIFA turned the Canadian investors in Hamilton and Calgary or anywhere off. Maybe the CSA doesn't want to have a Canadian league that is affiliated with corruption. Or maybe not.

20. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I am hearing NASL is about ready to announce their West Coast teams. San Francisco is done, 1 in LA (CSELA) and 1 in OC (CSUF). Apparently there are some big time owners involved that will get people talking and put NASL on another level as well as piss off MLS. I am sure Kartik will dig a little deeper and break the news. Stay tuned...

30King and oneeyedfool repped this.
  21. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right, but I am highly skeptical.

SoccerPrime and The One X repped this.
  22. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge if true. They should try to get Jason Ader's proposed Vegas team in the mix as well. San Diego and Tacoma would round out the PST nicely beyond that. Maybe even Oakland to give San Francisco a local derby.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm quoting this posterity.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually just got word that NASL is also receiving two automatic bids into the UEFA Champions league beginning next season. Once the lawsuit against USSF was reported, Peterson was approached by Platini to abandon the USSF and operate under UEFA's jurisdiction. Now several big clubs, including Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, ManU, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Juve and Milan are in discussions with the Cosmos to finally form the European Super League.
    This is huge!

The Irish Rover and song219 repped this.
  25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Not to mention the NASL will be the first league ever to play on the moon

upload_2015-9-1_6-1-7.jpeg

FoxBoro 143 repped this.