NASL Attendance Thread, Part 2

Discussion in 'NASL' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jun 19, 2010.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The new Strikers will have an awful lot of work to do to constantly draw 4-5-6 K

2. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than it's been, but not as good as the beginning.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The work that needs to be done is the work that has not been done to date, namely, market your team to the local community. As soccer fans in South Florida, all we can do is hope that the new USSF requirements along with the change to an iconic South Florida sports franchise name and look will finally get Traffic to do what it should have been doing all along and promote the team.

And by the way, if not for some thunderstorms most of the afternoon and evening in the area, I bet they might have topped 2,000. But as someone else said, it feels sickening to think, wow, yeah, almost 2,000 for soccer at Lockhart Stadium, that's an improvement.......

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic is going to have to figure out how (along with all the other things) to deal with the weather. Last I heard, thunderstorms in Florida in the summer were pretty nearly a daily occurrence. I believe the relevant term is 'tropical'?

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its the same here in Charleston, it was a pretty heavy rain about 1hr before the game that let up a bit about kickoff but continued until the first part of the second half. We still had 4700+ Saturday night.

I know the rain is a contributing factor but I think their problems are Traffic and an indifferent community. Traffic needs to connect with the soccer community somehow, ramp up the sales department and start marketing the team. It seems like every year Traffic has the "next season we are going to do something..." atitude.

If it wasnt for a core group of fans that really have done any marketing that Miami has the team would have been gone two seasons ago....

6. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The 948 or so hearty souls who turned up to baltimore last night saw their team smashed to smithereens by Montreal, 5-0.

9,157 at Rochester, though.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Compare this to the only 14 K at Wigan for the 0-6 against Chelski

8. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2,241 for Puerto Rico @ St. Louis.

Looks like AC's typical attendance has settled to between 2,000 and 3,000 per game - more specifically, between 2,200 and 2,700. If the team's still around next year, that's a benchmark for improvement.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While attendance at the D2 level is no indicator as to how well a team will do in MLS, I'm wondering if the USSF should add an attendance minimum from a D3 team before they allow them to move up. Granted, Baltimore probably wouldn't have (and won't) meet the other standards that are in place for next year's D2, but I do wonder if, having seen two D3 teams move up in the past two years and promptly kill themselves, they shouldn't add an attendance minimum as one more barrier to avoid any more self-inflicted disasters.

...now that I think about it, I guess they couldn't. That would be unfair to put that on a D3 team, but not have anything of the sort for a brand new team coming straight into D2.

Still, looking at Baltimore's numbers and overall quality last year, you could see this coming a mile away.

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, it's an acceptable D3 number.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Never understood why Cleveland went USL1 last year and Baltimore USSFdiv2 this year

12. Tatatatan

Tatatatan New Member

May 31, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    L'Impact a annoncé mardi que le match du vendredi 27 août au Stade Saputo contre les Rhinos de Rochester (19h30, Radio-Canada, radio-canada.ca/sports, CKAC Sports, THE TEAM 990) sera disputé à guichets fermés, alors que les 13 034 billets ont trouvé preneur. La formation montréalaise jouera à guichets fermés pour une cinquième fois cette saison.

L'Impact affrontera ensuite à domicile les Rowdies de Tampa Bay, le 19 septembre, puis les Aztex d'Austin, le 3 octobre. Il est possible de se procurer des billets pour ces deux derniers matchs de la saison via le Réseau Admission (514-790-1245 / 1-800-361-4595 / admission.com) ou la billetterie du Stade Saputo.

(hint : sold out :D )

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Superbe nouvelle,

You guys deserve MLS

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I read it right, it's the game against Rochester that's sold out. Nice. However, not that shocking. I mean, they've done it four other times this season.

Still, with not much space between their capacity and their average last season, they've managed to improve over last year.

I'm looking forward to the day when there will be more than one other team in D2 that regularly draw half as well as Portland and Montreal.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Vancouver doing? Are they the weakest of the 3 future MLS teams?

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their stadium only holds around 5,000. So they're limited by that.

And I'm not sure you can really call them weak in any way. Remember that the USL1 Seattle Sounders attendances were worse than all three of the teams that are coming in the next two years. In fact, only Miami and Atlanta were worse than Seattle in '08.

So, more precisely, "yeah, but, so?";)

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot that they were remodeling their stadium.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS stadium is being remodeled. But the stadium that the MLS team will use next year is all done. Currently being used by the BC Lions. The Vancouver Whitecaps have, for many years, used Swangard stadium, which only seats around 5k. Not sure why they decided to stay in Swangard this year rather than moving to the stadium that the MLS Whitecaps will use next year.

19. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was announced that the last 3 Timbers matches are all approaching sold out.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Great news coming out of Portland

21. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Sunday is looking VERY close already. Don't know about tomorrow, but it'll be a good show. Big crowd.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    14,985 @ Portland

23. megade3

megade3 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    13,034 @ Montréal