NASL 2018 Death Wat... er News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by AndyMead, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Commisso believes conflicts exist. I do not know and will not take Commisso's word on it hence the usage of if.

Commisso did a fine job of killing NASL in my estimation, right or wrong that is my opinion.

hipityhop repped this.
  2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was stated, Garber is part of SUM and is open about it. He is the commissioner of MLS; that's also common fact. Both present potential conflicts of interest. But, as the previous poster stated, he recuses himself from decisions that involve either entity. That is how businesses and boards work.
    Going back to my previous post, because you agree with someone that is calling for a change without understanding how things work currently, you are literally advocating for change simply for the sake of change. The majority of the USSF have conflicts of interest because they are involved with MLS, SUM, or USL. But those are also the people that have built our modern soccer landscape with a highly stable first division, a stable second division in USL, launching a third division, running a high level amateur division in the PDL (the NPSL is run by others, but is also on that level), and have launched an unprecedented academy system to develop even more players outside fo the traditional pay-to-play model that dominates American sports.

This is exactly why nothing the moron says about how the USSF operates comes without a huge red flag. Commisso tried to circumvent MLS and sued the USSF in the process. He lost on both counts (for good reason) and is now throwing his tantrum in the court of public opinion.

Then why comment at all? It's not like the relationship between MLS, SUM, Garber, and USSF is a state secret. It makes you come across as a troll or, worse, Tinfoil Teddy 2.0.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just admit that you don't know how membership organizations work, and that you've bought into populist outrage.

It is pretty much impossible for USSF to have any commercial partners with soccer expertise or experience that aren't in some other way related to USSF.

And the people (Kessler, Silva, Commisso) that keep coming back and yelling the loudest and filing suits are only barely disguising the facts that they're not really against members or stakeholders having a commercial relationship with USSF as long as they get a piece of the pie.

Instead of waiting for the SUM contract to come up for renegotiation - and outbidding SUM - they're trying to legal and populist methods to cut in line.

oknazevad, TheJoeGreene and aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The ultimate irony is that Rocco and Silva are offering to pay for the tv rights while saying that USSF and SUM's partnership is a conflict of interest.

Plus, they seem to think all SUM does is sell tv rights and take a gigantic chunk of it.

Cirris, TheJoeGreene, aetraxx7 and 2 others repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commisso probably believes lizard people exist beneath Denver Airport, too.

He believes a lot of what the voices in his head tell him.

barroldinho and 2in10 repped this.
  6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Cirris and athletics68 repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barroldinho, 2in10 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Please don't consider this a defense for them, but playing in division three is an admission that they were nowhere as near division one as they viewed themselves. It also doesn't help their lawsuit against the USSF if they have any success as D3.

It's far cheaper (and more cynical) to claim their only option is to go amateur.

barroldinho, 2in10 and Cirris repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barroldinho and 2in10 repped this.
  10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I know! Knock me over with a feather, right?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Que Incredible Hulk sad walking away music as defeated, delusional ex-league refuses to swallow what little of its pride it has left :cry:

oknazevad and 2in10 repped this.
  13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is this a fair statement?

"And with Rocco Commisso’s offer to bring in $500 million to revive NASL rejected by U.S. Soccer Federation officials, the paths forward for NASL teams are very limited."

I was under the impression that they weren't so much rejecting his 'offer' (How could they reject it anyway? It's for his league and/or club) as his proposals wrt divisional sanctioning, while also saying they would need more details on certain items, such as the multi-team ownership aspect.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they actually rejected were the strings he attached.

They declined to move away from the annual sanctioning process.

They declined to give him a decade of no-risk, hands-off playtime to try to get Boca Raton FC to a point where they were viable.

In short, he wanted the game played on his terms. USSF does not have to set that precedent.

oknazevad, 2in10, Egbert Sousé and 2 others repped this.
  15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure seems that way. Poor Rocco. He’ll have to tilt at windmills all alone...

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And the #ProRelForErmOnSecondThoughtNevermind hashtag is born!

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Silva International posted that from London, England - not Miami, Florida.

Sure seems like Silva is trying to unhitch his wagon from the Commisso train(wreck).

2in10 and athletics68 repped this.
  19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And didn't Commisso only get involved in 2017 to bail out the Cosmos, when NASL were already sending out the lifeboats?

I can just picture him bursting through the doors now...
    "I've come to save the day!!!..... Hello?..... Is there anybody here.....?"

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only a problem if you read it that they discussed the future of soccer....in Miami. As opposed to discussing...the future of soccer in Miami.

Here's a transcript of the meeting:

Silva: "Hey, David. Good to see you. How's it going?"

Beckham: "It's going well, how are you?"

Silva: "Hey, is your team ever going to play?"

Beckham: "I dunno. Is yours?"

There. Future of soccer in Miami discussed.

CoronaOrange, Paulo_PT, Baysider and 8 others repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I always thought Silva and Commisso were an odd pairing. The "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of thing.

Silva International is the London based holding company - a la AEG and HSG.

Media Partners and Silva Limited, which is owned by Silva International is another in a long line of sports (mainly soccer) media rights and promotion companies that has survived on the fringe soccer communities in the United States. Like Traffic, the original GolTV folks, ChampionsWorld, and so forth.

Silva has been doing this for quite some time, probably with an eye towards cashing in if soccer ever "makes it" in the United States.

Commisso, however, is a relative johnny come lately populist willing to burn it all down to get a slice of the pie. Possibly with some personal grudge or beef with Sunil. I don't really know.

I think Silva has been working the long road, and has no interest in wrecking the system in place, just getting a seat at the table. It would make sense for him to "sue for peace" (or "sue for a piece") if the opportunity arose, and leave Commisso holding the NASL bag.

Then again, Riccardo could've just been in London to visit the Silva International headquarters and ran into Becks and had the interaction that Kenn described.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USL clubs should offer to enter their B teams in NASL. It would be a nice gesture to reach out and try to keep a struggling league to survive.

oknazevad, Mr Wonderful, Elninho and 2 others repped this.
  23. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    o_O

2in10 repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would also flesh out the league and reduce travel burdens.

Is Commisso on Twitter?

Paul Berry repped this.
  25. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    The Shores of Puget Sound
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see what you did here.