Naive wonders about Emmigration and being Swiss in England

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jeremys_dad, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am a little vague about intricacies of European Union thing. Are Switzerland and England in the same immigration zone for soccer Players? Say a kid has Swiss citizenship...... can he play for a British club and get paid?

Second..... is there any advantage to a German passport over a Swiss passport for a player to have?

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2 The Irish Rover, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    No.

If you're not from the EU or a non-EU European country with a labour movement treaty with the EU (Switz in this case, plus Norway, Iceland and maybe Israel), each country makes its own policies and its own decisions. England, notoriously, is hard for a non-EU/treaty country passport carrier to get a playing contract in.

If you're from an EU country or a non-EU European treaty country then you have an absolute right to play pro soccer, or nearly any other paying job, in any EU country.

Absolutely, yes. It's a treaty right, for as long as the UK remains in the EU anyway . . . :D

Not very much. A bit less paperwork, and there may be tax and pension contribution differences, depending on how the Swiss and Germans organize these things (for which you'll need a lawyer or a tax accountant).

3. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    As said, anybody with an EU passport (which Switzerland & Germany both are) has the right to freedom of movement and employment without other EU countries.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4 The Irish Rover, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Switzerland isn't in the EU.

Oh, and being the pedantic git that I am, there's no EU passport as such.
    Each member state issues its own passports under its own independent laws & policies, which every other member is legally obliged to recognize and consequently extend the same rights and protections that they extend to their own citizens (the franchise excepted).

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the way the UK government explains the EU, EEA and Switzerland:

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 28 countries. It operates an internal (or single) market which allows free movement of goods, capital, services and people between member states.

EU countries

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is the academy section, I'll throw this point in. Under FIFA rules, a player under 16 can only be registered in the country of his citizenship, unless his family moves for non-football reasons (or the club is on the border & the player commutes across the border daily). Once the player is 16, he can be registered in any EU/EEA country.

Having a German passport would probably provide better development opportunities.

7. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Apologies, I worded it poorly, by EU passport I meant a passport from an EU country.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No worries. Like I said, i was being pedantic git;)

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an ardent supporter of Pedantic Git FC. This is the year to avoid relegation (again).

ebado and The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany