NAIA vs NCAA

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by AkkaKenji8, Sep 23, 2016.

1. AkkaKenji8

AkkaKenji8 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    just was curious to see if anybody knows, how would the top NAIA schools fare in comparison to the NCAA

2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    D2-ish.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Very few NAIA players get signed or even drafted by MLS teams.

Granted, the scouting sometimes is very poor and MLS might miss good players, but generally, MLS tries to get the best college players and they get very few from NAIA whereas they get bunches from NCAA D-I.

That doesn't mean NAIA teams can't hang with D-I teams but most of the D-I teams simply have better and deeper rosters.

4. lime

lime Member

May 18, 2016
  5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In SoCal - several of the NAIA schools have recently (within the last 2 or 3 years) switched to join NCAA Division II...and they seem to be on par with the other Div II schools and conferences in the state.

Fresno Pacific
    Azusa Pacific
    Point Loma Nazarene
    Cal Baptist
    and most recently Concordia (Irvine)

all joined the PacWest Conference and have had fairly evenly mixed results against the larger-school CCAA conference (which includes almost all Cal State schools)

6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    CSU San Marcos also joined the group. I think this is their first year eligible for post-season play.

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of the top NAIA programs play NCAA DI teams in the spring season. Yes, it is just the spring season. But, historically, Lindsey Wilson, Oklahoma Wesleyan, Rio Grande, and some others have fared very well against their DI counterparts.

ENB Sports repped this.
  8. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    There are recent former NAIA (10 or so) playing in USL some connected to MLS affiliations. I think if your goal is to go pro you got an equal chance of playing NAIA and being recognized then playing for a poor D1 school. That being said your chance is still very poor. I would almost go the Junior College route and hope a decent D1 School sign you from there.

In terms of quality it depends there are NAIA schools with almost no Americans. In 2012 Oklahoma Wesleyan key players were Brazilian and thought they could be competitive with D1 schools and beat Oral Roberts (a bad D1 School) 6-2 - http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pag...sg=MSO&sea=NAIMSO_2012&team=2650&compID=41133

Since some prospects but not as dominating team. This was my NAIA prospect list from last season - http://www.prospectxi.com/2016-naia-undrafted-seniors/ Didic is playing with Sporting KC USL side Swope Park Rangers and is doing well.

SoccerIsOurLife and ThePonchat repped this.
  9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That has happened out here on the left coast as well - I know the Point Loma team has played San Diego State and maybe a couple other D1 schools in the spring, and done pretty well against them...

10. RedGK

RedGK Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close to D2 in NCAA. NAIA tends to somewhat reach out to foreign players too because they can be a little older and come in as a Freshman. NAIA tends to be small private schools though.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes, very small schools - I recall reading that some of the schools at the national tournament had population around 1,000 students....

I wouldn't be surprised if a NAIA school could beat a D1 school, but the better D1 schools would win most of the time - in season. My opinion - no facts, since they don't generally play the top D1 teams.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. Top Lad

Top Lad New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Club:
    Notts County FC
    NAIA is similar to strong D2 conferences in that they get a lot of talented grown players from overseas that cannot get through the NCAA clearinghouse. Some of them get their grades up/Academic merit and then head up to D1s.