Nagbe to Celtic?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Nov 22, 2016.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SunSport understands Hoops chiefs will try to woo the Portland Timbers ace with the Parkhead VIP treatment at tonight’s Champions League clash with Barcelona.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers is desperate to sign a No 10-style player and Nagbe, 26, has emerged as a target.

It is believed Liberia-born Nagbe flew into Glasgow yesterday and was whisked to Celtic Park for a look around the stadium.

It would be a major coup for Celts to lure the ten-times capped USA international to Scotland.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...to-woo-portland-timbers-ace-darlington-nagbe/

Likely has legs to it if he's over there. Would be a step up from Portland but not the league I'd suggest he go to. I'd be looking at Ligue 1 given his style of play and that he'd count as a domestic there.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is too good for that Sunday league. Bleh.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    But he's just lazy enough to make it work.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he won't mind winning the next 4 or 5 titles while getting to play against Munich, Arsenal, Napoli two times a year :)

jjmack and Mt Stone@ repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dervos, Balerion, ttrevett and 4 others repped this.
  6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Apparently Jordan Mutch is also a potential transfer? But is valued at £3.5 million... Pretty much because he is British, as Jordan Mutch is terrible.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Klinsmann is gone and not using him as an example not to go through MLS, he really should wait a year to move to Europe. By that time he could be a full international with a lot more appeal, and maybe could get a WP in England for example. Certainly would do better than the Scottish League, even though this is Celtic. Champions' League is about to be over for them. Arena's hire should motivate him as a footballer and in MLS b4 an ultimate move. Cameron was 27 when he moved to Stoke. McBride was even 30. It's not too late if he's the real deal.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nagbe wasn't even good for Portland this year. If Celtic's going to pay him more than the $500,000 he gets in Portland, he should jump at the chance.

Or maybe he's just using this as a chance to watch Barcelona play on someone else's dime. Who knows?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very, very low and won't even come close to getting the deal done.

Nagbe has a real chance at being back with the USMNT. He didn't have the best season but there was a lot wrong with Portland this year.

deuteronomy repped this.
  12. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Good points, however, club situations are different for every player, see Bobby Wood and Jordan Morris. If Nagbe wants to test the waters in Europe, now is probably the time. I would also think that Celtic could go higher if they truly wanted. I do think it's interesting that he's at Celtic Park for tonights match...

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe signed an extension with Portland earlier this year. The fact he is on a longer-term deal only means that the offer really has to be big to make sense for Portland - unless Portland just doesn't want him anymore.

On the other hand, if Caleb Porter takes the Galaxy job, I could see Portland and Nagbe wanting a split.

14. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    I agree it would definitely require a higher transfer fee - just saying Celtic do have cash. In 2015 it was reported that the average player salary was ~ 900,000 pounds annually. It will be interesting to see if any advances are made on either side.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that's a really good salary for Celtic (i imagine a lot of that is from playing in the CL). i recall average PL player gets 2.2 million pounds a year so I'd reckon Celtic's average is close to say on level with Championship clubs

16. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    I can see it getting done at 2 mill.

17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's too comfortable in Portland. Plus he already won the league, why not try somewhere else. Play at Celtic and see if you can move up in a few years.

18. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Oh, plz let this happen.

adam tash and Gacm32 repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it looks like there's legs to this.

I'm guessing Celtic are offering him nice wages (higher than their average).

I guess CL group stage match day threads will be fun.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be asking whether those guys in red and blue could use any players. Celtic played well and the atmosphere sounded spectacular, but that Neymar to Messi goal -- unreal for any team except Barça.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2016/11/23/13722664/jumping-into-hoops-nagbe-linked-to-celtic-fc

The first thing to remember in this circumstance is that the Timbers hold the cards. As a result of the contract extension inked this spring, Nagbe is under club control for another three years through 2019. If Nagbe leaves this winter, therefore, it will be on the Timbers’ terms as there is little forcing their hand.

And, longstanding frustration with his lack of production notwithstanding, Nagbe is still immensely valuable to the Timbers.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The SPL is dire. Here in Canada several of its games are on TV. I use them as background noise on occasion.

Celtic's competition is clearly below MLS grade, for the most part.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do find it funny the mutual detestation between MLS and the SPL on forums. Both sets of fans seem to be the type that try to big up their league at the cost of another.

Regardless of the league, there's not really any rational reason to be against this move. Celtic have shown, time and again, that they can develop talent. Fraser Forster, van Dijk, Wanyama, Ki Seung-Yeung, and Joe Ledley have thrived in the Premier League. They've polished Tom Rogic to the point where he will likely go for more than 10 million GBP. Moussa Dembélé signed for Celtic over numerous Premier League and Ligue 1 sides because he identified it as the perfect place to develop. I've always thought that it was great practice for the US as well - oscillating between expected wins against local opponents to having to play savvy to beat better opponents on bigger stages.

Gacm32, Chance, truefan420 and 3 others repped this.
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's far more comparable than some think outside the top 2-3 players on MLS rosters. It's also very similar in strengths/weaknesses of style of play.

Hearts is better than DCU. Hearts is currently sitting 4th in the SPL, DCU finished 4th in the East. Nagbe's MLS defending champs couldn't beat CR's Saprissa. MLS is better but not by much. Celtic however is much better than Portland and daily competition might do Nagbe some good. Never had it before.

Also the intensity of the average SPL match far surpasses that of the average MLS match.