"Mystery" American Trialist With Burnley

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    While they are in N.C.:

Coyle explained: 'We had a young American kid in that I have been aware of for a few months.

'He will spend a few days training with us and he acquitted himself very well on his first day.

'I don't want to be mentioning names because whenever the names leak out it only alerts other teams, but he is a very gifted footballer and we will see what the next few days bring.'​

Link:
    http://www.burnley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=115108

He's wearing #22 in this picture:

[​IMG]

A commenter on the article above suggests it might be the Railhawks' Martin Nunez, a 1987 born in Uruguay who Wikipedia suggests might be an American citizen.

Nunez didn't play for either team in last night's friendly between Burnley and the Railhawks' U23s:

http://www.carolinarailhawks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=412&Itemid=141

Also, wjarrettc on a thread on the ClaretsMAD web site says he's a college student and an amateur, so it's presumably not Nunez.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The guy with the ball is Nunez. There are some definite similarities. I cropped the heads and put side by side, and they were similar. However, I cannot copy from my imaging software; just get a blank box.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested to know who it is. Nunez impressed me a few ago when I watched Carolina on FSC. Lively, quick touches, accurate passes, and a willingness to take folks on. He's a small player (maybe 5'4"-5'5" it appeared) but one who could take a hit and bounce up without losing the ball.

I wish we could see the left arm better of "#22" in the picture that was on Vital Football because Nunez has a tattoo that is very visiable down his forearm. The two pics, the one Prowazekii provided, the player is wearing different boots; if that makes any difference i don't know.

4. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    What is it about British managers acting like lil' ol' ladies that can't keep a secret? One sees this over and over. How weird. I hope 10 other British clubs read this and call the kid, since it just stupid to talk in the manner that manager did (what's the point?)

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Railhawks match against the Portland Timbers on FSC too, and also came away very impressed with Nunez. He's a crafty little player who can take defenders 1v1 off the dribble, something you don't see all the time in the USL. I remember wondering why he wasn't on an MLS roster, because he is still quite young (a 1987), so I'd think he could be a nice project for some club.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I hate to bring this up, but, how the hell would he qualify for a work permit? If it is Martin Nunez.

By the way, he was offered a contract by RBNY but turned it down. I would too :)

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May not be relevant but Burnley have a scout in at the Bryst Academy in Canada. They have been looking at several youth players from there. Could "American" mean Canadian in this case? Its not likely that an English club would make this error, but something to keep in mind.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is Burnley. Have you ever been there? I wouldn't say geography, or any kind of thinking, is in their "wheelhouse."

Think of it as a less-interesting, less-educated Scranton with fewer job opportunities and less culture.

9. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Carolina Railhawks may actually be a better team than RBNY, so, looks like he made a good decision. ;)

I have no idea how he would qualify for a work permit, by the way. Perhaps the same way Emmanuel Villa did for Derby? (magic)

10. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Most Uruguayans have European passports, actually, few have Uruguayans passport. I never had an Uruguayan passport, but I had Italian one.

11. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comments from the Lancashire Telegraph last month.
    http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Burnley FC website:

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, it's that simple.:rolleyes:

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Jarrett informed Vital Burnley as follows:

" I got a good look at your Mystery Man last night and he is not Martin Nunez. I'm 99% sure I know his identity but based on the comments made by OC here and some discussions with your PR guys, I'm going to refrain from revealing his name to honor their wishes to not fanning the flames on any rumors. I will tell you that he is a young university student with several more years of college ahead of him. He is a good local player but not what I would call an obvious star from the local system. I suspect he is connected by who he knows, rather than being a spectacular player, and I'm betting this trial is more one of convenience as you guys have some injuries and a few players yet to arrive, and you need a full squad in training to get a full 11 v. 11 workout. Maybe OC will monitor the kid a few more years but I doubt very seriously this little trial will lead to a short term offer"​

However:

It has been reported on the Official Site that Owen Coyle yesterday evaluated several more American trailists on the training field of the WakeMed Soccer Park facility in Cary, North Carolina.

Owen Coyle confirmed the situation:

'We've taken the opportunity to look at a few lads while we've been over here and they have acquitted themselves terrifically

'It's still far too early to say if anything will happen, so we will just wait and see what develops.' ​

Link:
    http://www.burnley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=115423

If it was only training for some of these players, I suppose there would have been no harm in saying so. That said I don't know who on the Railhawks would be able to get a work permit. Their web site doesn't list a PDL roster, either.

15. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Videira, recent Duke graduate and 2nd round draft pick of the New England Revolution, has been staying fit with the Railhawks U23s in his hopes of pursuing his dream in Europe. I would be willing to bet he is one of the trialists.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen that rumor on the Burnley fan message boards. Apparently he has access to Portuguese passport, and thus could play in Europe.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For what it is worth, here's a feature on Nunez:

After working out with the New York Red Bulls in January, Nunez was offered a contract by the MLS team. But rather than dive headfirst into the most competitive professional soccer in the U.S., he recognized the opportunity to develop and mature as a player in the USL First Division.

"The Red Bulls offered me something I didn't want," Nunez said. "Carolina had an eye on me, and I wanted to try something new. I wanted to come to this league and build myself up from this league to the MLS. "I'm young, I'm 21, and my goal is to try to go to the MLS and Europe."​

Doesn't mention whether he is a citizen.

Link:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1156368.html

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to be be good to get your own trading card, right?;)

http://www.wakeforesttimes.com/spor...ilhawks-host-puerto-rico-islanders-frid.shtml

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    FYI, an update on Nunez:

Nunez is currently enjoying a professional soccer stint with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, while waiting anxiously for he and his family to become United States citizens. That is expected next June.

"I'm already starting to get goose bumps," Nunez said. "My family has been thinking about this for a long time and it's about to become true."

It took 11 years for the Nunez family to residency papers. It wasn't until then the five-year process to become a citizen could start.

"It will be a great day," Nunez said. "My parents have worked so hard for a family that came from Uruguay. It's opened a lot of doors for me, including the chance to play soccer." ​

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/fl-strikers-edmonton-adv-0730-20110729,0,4174716.story