Myrtle Beach?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Rastlin, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Rastlin

Rastlin New Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Myrtle Beach
    There use to be a team in Myrtle Beach called the Sea Dogs. This is my second year going to college here and I have heard nothing about them what so ever. I was curious as to if the team still existed or if the closest thing to minor league team around is the Battery and a team up in Wilmington NC that I've heard about. Any one have any knowledge about the Sea Dogs. I know they weren't in the A-League so I would imagine they were in the USL. Thanks for any answers ahead of time.

2. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.) A-League is USL. The United Soccer Leagues (USL) has three levels of men's teams: A-League (Div. II, below MLS), Pro Select League (or PSL, Div. III), and the Primier Development League (or PDL, amateur and unofficial Div. IV).

2.) Mertyle Beach SeaDawgs, IIRC, were a PDL team.

3.) IIRC, they folded after the 1999 season.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rastlin,

yeah the Seadawgs have folded, and the Battery and the Hammerheads are your two nearest teams. The Battery is one of the top teams in the A-league. And the Hammerheads aren't too shaby in Pro Select league.

The Battery have an exhibition against DC United on Mar. 29 and I think the Battery is also showing the US/Japan match at the Three Lions Pub (all ages welcome) in the afternoon. Should be a great day of soccer in SC with Earnie Stewart, Hristro, Convey and the new look United against a strong Battery defense and newly upgraded offense and midfield.

check out www.charlestonbattery.com for all things Battery.

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Dawgs were a D3 team. The Battery used to play them when we were D3 back in the mid-90's (called the Pro League back then or something). There's a guy who posts a lot on the Wilmington fan forum who supposedly lives in MB and even has the username MB SeaDawgs RIP. You may want to cruise over here and check it out:

http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=69

And another factoid, the USL no longer calls the 3rd division "D3", the name was changed this year to what Mikey said; "Pro Select".

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Host: Reading United AC
    Venue: Gurski Stadium; Reading, PA.