My Friends' updates

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Cris 09, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To bad, I was hoping Dirt would still have a chance to catch on all my "updates". :)

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    ditto

3. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Agreed. Someone on my iggy list is also showing up on my friends updates.

EDIT: oops. didn't read to the last page.

4. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    We don't need this.

We don't need this.

WE DON'T NEED THIS!!!!!!!

BigSoccer is not Facebook, should not be Facebook, and would be far worse if it were anything like Facebook.

For the sake of all that's good and holy, give us a way to turn this off.

It's infuriating that you turn off search, turn off the who's online feature, have server outages three times a week, can't keep malware off your site, and yet instead of fixing those problems, you roll out a useless, cluttersome, eyesore of a new feature that nobody likes. Every time I get close to paying a membership fee, something stupid happens that's trying to turn the site into something it's not. BigSoccer is good the way it is. It doesn't need to become a social network, or a news site, or anything other than the best collection of soccer forums on the web. That's what it is now. Stop messing it up!

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is just obnoxious.

Get rid of it.

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Totally agree. Lamest idea since....

[​IMG]

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't really care about it but I don't see the point in it showing that one of my friends replied 8 times to the same thread and nothing else.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the ability to turn the thing off? I honestly don't care which of my friends replied where.

And I'm sure that people who have me on their friend's list don't want to see links to all the threads I've posted in.

When does the notice expire? If I click on a post to a friend's post, the link is still there on My BigSoccer. If you can't "mark it read" what the hell is the point?

Why did you guys add this "feature?" It's not needed. It it's very badly implemented.

Please get rid of it.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    A BACK AND FORTH DISCUSSION IN A THREAD TAKES UP ALL THE SPACE :)

Not very easy on the eye, better get rid of this feature or at least not introduce it in the MyBigSoccer page as it is currently.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Please get rid of it, give us the option to turn it off, or put it some place else...

If you insist on having it (WHY?) then make it as Cris suggested. Turn it into a drop-down-box below my "New Subscriptions" or below "Latest Rep", so that it doesn't mess with the rest of the "My BigSoccer" page.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the really stupid things about it is that if you do actually click on the link, it doesn't take you to the last unread post in the thread. No, it takes you to the post that started the thread.

Well one way to turn it off, I guess.

I'm just going to remove people from my friend's list.

edit - done, that worked. If you just remove people from your friends lists, the My BigSoccer page goes back to normal.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would think that "breaking" friendships would be the easiest way to get rid of this "Twitter" like function...

DO NOT WANT!!!! :mad:

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the irony is delicious.

14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ONE MORE VOICE:

IT is NOT fixed!!!

Help us out, please!!!

ADDED: my first half screen looks like:

15. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Things I like about it:

1) One of my favorite features is "New Posts" so I really like the way Friends Updates brings good threads and foros I don't usually travel to. Since many of my favorite posters are in my friends list, seeing different places they are posting has brought me to new and interesting conversations.

2) I can see that some friends have come into threads that I've posted in because of this and have added to the discussions.

Things I would fix:

1) Make it optional for those who don't want it. (I do want it.)

2) Make it go to the first unread post and then go away after I've clicked on it. I can also see the problem of people who post a lot in the banter threads bogarting the entire list.

3) I have been a happy-go-lucky friendslut and not knowing this was coming have asked many strangers to be my friend (sometimes just noob welcoming, sometimes to calm trolls.) Now I need to cull my friends list quite a bit and may have to cruelly break some hearts & friendships to keep my updating meaningful. :p It would be nice to have an option in our Manage Friends list whether to include each in live updating.

4) I've been waiting patiently for Active Users to come back, it's horrible not having it and it is a basic forum function, it shouldn't be considered a luxury. :( I'm bummed that this was rolled out before that was put back.

Thank you.

16. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Woah!!! I just followed horsey into this thread through my friends update option. I don't even know where exactly i am in the BS universe. I feel lost and scared. :(

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Get rid of it please, this is awful.

18. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt like quoting nearly every post in this thread. But I tried to go with the most pertinent ones.

Please get rid of this or make it optional.

Do you guys ever think of asking us about things before you include them? Maybe trying a beta run for feedback? Instead of just throwing shit out there. You might get a more positive response this way.

Btw, did I mention that I hate this new feature?

EDIT:
    Gah! It shows up on profile pages as well? I didn't think it could get worse.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, you cannot escape it...profile pages as well...WTF?? BS is the new Tweeter.

Hey everyone, I'm currently picking my nose while on the phone with a big client - more to come!

Now where is the option for others to comment; [​IMG] "likes this" [​IMG] ??

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it's fancy.More of it please. :D

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Oh no you didn't.

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I hadn't NEG Repped a fellow moderator in months.....

23. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    +1

Summed up my thoughts on it far better than I could have. Thank you. Point 4 especially.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

This is a useless feature. How about updating the favourite team list?

25. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    option to turn it off please