Multiple questions

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by astabooty, Feb 11, 2007.

1. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a year away from getting my Bachelor's in history at the University of Florida. I kind of fell into history, however, I now really like it. The thing is that I do not want to have a history related job, I want to go back to school as an undergrad and get into a science or math. I know my school does not allow people to return as undergrads, is this the norm? Have any of you done similar things? If yes, do you have to start completely over (taking basic english classes again and such)? Also, how the hell would I apply to a school as a college graduate, would the sat have to be taken again?

Secondly, can anyone recommend good ways to (re)gain basic knowledge of knowledge of subjects such as chemistry, physics, and math. Using math as an example, I did well in college algebra, but it was so many years ago that I have forgotten much of it (I assume) and I know I would need it for said majors, as it is the basis of college level math. Would school textbooks suffice for chemistry let's say?

Thank you guys, any help will be appreciated.

edit: might as well throw in a couple of extra questions

Any one know any good books to learn about geometry? I recently learned of its importance in pre-algebra/calculus days and would like to learn more than was taught in high school.

Finally, anyone have any good exercises for memory, I am specifically wanting to improve my ability to hold an image in my head.

Thanks again.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most undergrad institutions will simply tell you no if you're trying to come back for a second bachelor's degree. There might be other reasons for doing this but I'm pretty sure the basic one is that that there's not much use in a second one, even if the difference is as large as that between a BA in History and a BS in Physics or Mathematics.

Questions:

1. Why do you want to do this?

2. Have you talked to a career counselor about what jobs your History degree might get you?

3. If you're really dead set on getting a math degree, why can't you stay longer at Florida and pick up a second major? That would not be cheap, but it almost certainly would be less than completing a whole new 4 year degree at another institution. In any case, there must be a basic math course at Florida you can take as an elective to test drive the idea that you want to be a mathematician.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 2 semesters away from graduating. Basically, I was going to college because I had to. I was going with no real aim. I was undecided my first two years, just taking the recommended courses for undecided people, then realized I actually have to choose a major to transfer into UF. :eek: History suited me the best and I already had all the courses to get accepted. My goal was to switch to business, but I realized it wasn't for me (only was planning to due to others' advice). As a transfer student, I am only given a certain amount of time to graduate, so I do not believe I have the option of adding a 2nd major, I will check though.
    I do like history and want to see out this major, especially since I am so close and my scholarship will soon be ending due to course credits used. The thing is that math has always been my thing and I miss it.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is information from the 2006-2007 Hofstra University Undergraduate Bulletin (Hofstra is in Hempstead, NY near New York City):

"The student must apply and be accepted in a program of study toward a second degre by the Office of Admissions."
    "All university and degree requirements not met on admission must be completed."
    "At least 30 credits over and above any used to satisfy the first bachelor's degree must be completed at Hofstra. A minimum of 15 of these 30 credits must be in the new major field of concentration."

A Mathematics major at Hofstra starting from Analytic Geometry and Calculus I (assuming Precalculus has already been taken) requires 40 credits of courses that meet for the following amount of time per week:

2 classes that each meet 85 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays (TR) and 55 minutes on Mondays and Fridays (MF)
    1 class that meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for (MWF) 95 minutes each
    1 class that meets Mondays and Fridays for 85 minutes each and Wednesdays for 55 minutes
    8 classes that each meet either MWF for 55 minutes each or TR for 85 minutes each

In terms of class days per semester, Hofstra seems to have less days than other schools.

5. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a career center on campus that can tell you what you might be competitive for with a History degree?

Also, you might try talking to an academic advisor to see how much space you've got in your remaining 2 terms. It might be possible, in less time that you think, to add something like a minor in actuarial mathematics that would flesh out your skill set and make you competitive for jobs in finance, a masters in accounting program, or something else similar. Given the short time line you've got, you would be best served by talking to somebody on campus who knows the ropes.

Here's a link to the advising office at Fla:
    http://www.advising.ufl.edu/

Here's a link to a minor in Actuarial Science at Fla (incidentally, 37 credits seems pretty big for a minor, are you guys on the semester or quarter system there?):
    http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/catalog/programs/minors/actuarial.html

Here's a link to the Career Resource Center at Fla:
    http://www.crc.ufl.edu/

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've never heard of a university that says you must finish in a certain amount of time...especially if you are willing and able to pay them more $$.
    as was said, you can stay an additional year or two and pick up a major. I know if you show enough proficiency, a minor would work as well. I was a physics minor, and I was accepted into a grad program in that arena.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it won't be a problem here in the Netherlands, if you can afford the study. Some science courses are tought in English (plus many business courses)

8. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    Educational goals aside, I really have to ask you what kind of job you are preparing yourself for? If you have relevant (and significant) experience in a certain field employers will often consider that equal to a degree. Of course, you won't initially make as much as a degreed person, but it's better than nothing.

As far as "regaining the knowledge", try a practice assessment from one of the AP study guides. It'll give you a good idea of where you stand, plus the guide will offer a structured method of learning for you. Good luck.

p.s. Have fun with multi-variable calculus, fourier transformations, discrete mathematics and what not. ;)

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checked today. Even if I added another major I would have to finish by next Spring.

I wish I could do the rest of my studies abroad, but I can't afford it now.

10. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    So I take it you have had some college math, but not enough to apply for a Math or Engineering masters program?

If that is the case then my suggestion is to take as many math electives (especially a Real Analysis type course) as possible while you finish the history degree (overload perhaps), then after graduation take enough audit courses somewhere to fill in whatever else you need. Then apply for a masters program. I don't think they will care if you have undergraduate credits in every course they require as long as you can show you have a good background (and hopefully a good GRE)

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this thread is relevant to me now. the degree I have is absolutely useless to me and Im considering going back to school. At first I was interested in a masters, but honestly I dont think I have a chance at the any programs that I am now interested in.

So I'd like to get a 2nd undergrad and get a masters in that field. But if I have to do it ALL over again? I dunno if Im up for that at all. So I'm stuck with this absolutely useless degree unless I shell out 35-40k on top of what I already owe for my worthless papers?

fack me :( so scrood

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of universities will enroll students seeking their 2nd bachelor's degree. Usually they require you to complete 30-45 semester units of coarsework at their institution, and of course you have to complete all of the specific requirements of your new major. You don't have to retake all of your lower-division general ed stuff.

You need to check with the admissions offices to see if they accept 2nd bachelor's students, as policies vary, and some schools won't even let you apply.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be great, and thats how I thought it worked before I started actually looking around. But Im going down to at least one school here in town and talking to someone on Monday. Should settle whats possible and not possible.

14. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    You should definitely apply for the masters programs you're interested in. A lot of masters programs are cash cows for universities and they want to admit people. Don't try to do the work of the admissions committee yourself.

What's the worst case scenario? They reject you and you go get the second BA if you're still interested. Best case? You get into the masters program and avoid wasting time and money getting an unnecessary second BA.

Just be sure in your masters application you have a convincing, professional explanation for your decision to change careers.

15. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Add to that the fact that most reputable four year schools tend not to allow people to come in for a second undergraduate degree unless it's very different from your first one. For example, if you've got a BA from a liberal arts college, it will be pretty hard to get another BA. It may be more possible if you have a completely different kind of school in mind, like engineering, nursing, kinesiology...

16. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    You should also know that in academic fields a masters at a less prestigious school with a terminal masters can be far better than a masters at a prominent school that has a separate PhD program.

You're likely to get much more attention and help from the faculty at the less prestigious school; at the more prestigious school the faculty will likely see you as far less important than the doctoral students.

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That is... if they accept you.

Many simply won't. Or if word gets out that you're cutting out after the MA/MS... forget it. You're toast.

18. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I'm talking about places like NYU that have separate and unequal MA and PhD programs, where the masters students pay, the doctoral students are funded and where there's no path from the masters to the phd.

19. Amr10

Amr10 New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Hello, sorry for my English, I am French. I seek somebody able to correct me a text which I must present tomorrow in English, thank you

-->

Within the framework of my BTS, I had to carry out a training course in the SOCOTEP Company at the month of June. The duration of the training course is eight weeks and it is unrolled with the SOCOTEP, company specialized in the production of shaped and PVC reels.

The SOCOTEP is specialized in the transformation of raw material the PVC in form crushed or of powder to obtain sections, plates and reels, obtained by the technique of the calendaring, which then makes it possible to have differed grain and nuances.

The Factory is located at Signy l’Abbaye, city of 3800 inhabitants which is about 32 km in the south of Charleville-Mézières. It extends on a surface of more than 6200 hectares.

The SOCOTEP is equipped with:
    - 1 Workshop of calendaring comprising 2 Grills.
    - 1 Machine shop of maintenance, and storage of the matter.
    - 1 Crusher -
    1 kneader

Before only devoted at the production of product out of PVC, the SOCOTEP made only one production of clothing textile.

By various processes, like the change of grainor and additions of additives, it is possible to obtain different type of product, from where a great range of variety. For only one colour there are various possibilities, according to the grainor used, the plate will not have the same touched aspect, the same one, and the same characteristic