Mueller indictment thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 28, 2017.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    But at the same time the FBI was helping Hillary. It's some sort of quantum state of being in which the absolute opposites happen at the same time in the same place.

chaski, Auriaprottu, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Trumplandia, H Clinton is guilty of crimes (Emails, murder, rape, what ever pops in their heads), the FBI went soft on H Clinton, the proof is that she is not behind bars.

Technically Rosenstein said that in his letter, then Trump referenced the Email/memo as a reason on why he fired Comey (but said that perhaps he would have fired him anyways).

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schrodinger’s FBI.

4. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and people say Trump supporters are unsophisticated.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some pundits are suggesting it may the Bank of China, owned by China, Bank of Russia or a Saudi bank. All owned by those respective states.

“Four days after attorneys secretly argued over a grand jury subpoena suspected to be related to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election, a federal appeals court is forcing an unnamed company to comply with the subpoena,” CNN reports.

“The appeals court did not identify the company, nor did the appellate judges say the subpoena was related to the Mueller investigation. The company that sought to quash the subpoena is owned by a foreign country.”

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #1556 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Mikey Flynn Jr no likey

And Mueller's probably all "C'mon, judge! Treason was my big reveal in 2019"

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks for you read on it.

I guess i kind of expected a law professor, even a celeb crimes prof, would proffer accurate opinions on the law rather than ones that offer pure spin for defendants

Of course if Dersh was representing Flynn, or offered it more as a possible argument then i get it

But this argument is just mind crushingly dumb. Like the kind you make in Court at Hail Mary time

I incidentally saw this recently with Barry Roux vs the Full bench of the RSA Supreme Court who gave him a massive kicking. But to his credit he bravely soldiered on with his task of defending a murderer. So I do get it!

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This piece makes much more sense than Dersh's stiff position given the Trump Crime Family's unprecedented crimes getting into office and what they've done since they've been in there. Couple that with Republicans' see-no-evil attitude and the OLC memo saying you can't indict a sitting president seems outdated.

Let’s set aside for the moment the question of whether Trump is truly consumed by the task of governing and concentrate on that second point. The memo contemplates impeachment as the only lawful vehicle to dislodge a president who has committed “high crimes and misdemeanors.” However, it’s becoming increasingly clear that, regardless of how much incriminating evidence comes to light regarding Trump’s conduct, Republican senators will do nothing to hold him accountable for fear that they will alienate Trump’s base and risk losing their own future elections.

If party affiliation has become the sole motivating factor for decisions regarding impeachment proceedings, then the very premise of the OLC memo fails. In other words, if Republican representatives refuse to impeach and/or Republican senators refuse to remove/convict a criminal president due to unshakable party loyalty, then the OLC memo is de facto ensuring that the president is above the law.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...oj-should-re-evaluate-office-legal-ncna949116

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Like being a racist, it's worse being called a traitor than actually being a traitor.

sitruc, dapip, russ and 2 others repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many banks are under Chinese government control, the Bank of Russia is like their federal reserve or the Bank of England right? so not a "real" bank.

Now the Sberbank of Russia, is a "private bank" with over 50% ownership by the Central Bank of Russia, so perhaps that bank (and probably others).

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we would need to change the constitution or have a case that goes to the SC for them to decide.

Check and balance do fall apart when one party is in full control and refuses to check on it self.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News broke yesterday that Whitaker won’t refuse himself. I read that and I was like, huh, that’s surprising.

It turns out the ethics office recommended he recuse himself, so Whitaker convened a group of advisers to give him a different opinion.

A tiny insight into the will to power mentality at work here.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McClatchy has further reporting that supports the dossier's account of a Cohen trip to Prague. The purported purpose of that trip was to pay the hackers.

Interesting if true.

On the one hand, Trump won't survive a documented case of his campaign paying the hackers. On the other hand, Cohen is very dismissive of this new reporting. I get that Cohen is kind of an idiot...but given all the circumstances, I, personally, put a lot of credence in his denial.

But I put a lot of credence in McClatchy, too. Time will tell.

14. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't. It was discovered by media (can't recall who broke the story) a while back that intelligence pegged him having crossed the border from Germany to Czechia. General ridicule of his theatrical Passport waving and slamming followed. I guess the new piece of information we have is that there is actual electronic evidence of him being there - and I guess the purpose of his visit.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Isn't the evidence that one of Cohen's phones has been pegged being there? That would leave open the possibility that he lent the 'phone to another member of the Trump crime family.

soccernutter, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This. I mean, I still think Cohen was probably there or close to the city, but if he was not, probably Don Jr. or Individual One used the phone while at Prague.

sitruc repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Buzzfeed showed the inside of his passport last year. There was one stamp for a trip to Italy in July 2016. From there he could travel by train to Prague. Weirdly Cohen said he was partying with Steve Van Zandt in Capri. Silvio denies it.

sitruc repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's still operating under a cooperating agreement right? He's still being investigated. If he's lying in a tweet, when shutting the hell up is a viable option, is incredibly stupid. I mean, look, I doubt many people have gone broke overestimating the stupidity of this group, but good God, this is...beyond.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What Dave said. If Cohen is lying, this would be a whole new level of dumb. Evolutionary victim stupid.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From Cohen's perspective, it is possible that he's lying, if he has hold some information that he thinks Mueller doesn't have, hence from his POV, reasserting a lie that will keep him from implicating himself in bigger crimes, kind of make sense.

From Mueller's perspective, it is possible that he has not disclosed all the information he has on Cohen and Trump to Cohen, so he gets him to confirm more of what he already knows through a plea deal. But as with Papadopolous and Flynn, it is also likely that he knows Cohen will likely not hold his part of the deal.

IOWs, Mueller knows everything and just needs witnesses to confirm it, but he won't show all his cards to the rats because he knows that the rats will try to deny and run away when they think the deal is safe.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cohen is a cooperating witness, yes? And he has not really said anything since, yes? What is this was a ploy by TeamMueller to flush out somebody else?

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Occam's Razor, people. McClatchy story not verified by others. Cohen insists he was not there. Mueller has not withdrawn cooperation.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're using Occam's Razor with this conspiracy? You crazy?

dapip and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compelling point.
    More compelling point.

dapip repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 100% probable that Michael Cohen was involved in collusion with the Russians. He has admitted that he committed crimes at Trump's direction. Roger Stone has, too. We do not *need* a story about Prague to be true for all these things to have occurred.

sitruc repped this.