"Much Adu about £5m as Chelsea close the net on teenage prodigy"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Stogey23, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    New article from the bbc states that Adu's agent was on BBC Live 5 today in England stating that they have held talks with both ManU and Chelsea over Freddy's future, but states that there have been no talks this year.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    And that means in the last 45 days?

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They held them back in fall 2003, trying to figure a way around the FIFA rule, and couldn't find one.

4. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    only 22 posts and the thread has to be closed. Going to bed now, but I have faith in y'all. By morning? ;)

5. Slingerfan1977

Slingerfan1977 New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Mrs. Adu isn't going to get a WP in England if her employment skills are limited to house keeping.

The amount of money that is required to obtain residency in England without a work permit looks like it is too large to be a realistic option.

Her only realistic way of getting residency in England would be to marry an Englishman, and that's not going to happen just so Freddy can go over there one year earlier.

I'm sure she can get residency somewhere else in the world, but it's more difficult in England.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or she can open a house cleaning business. Money will not be a problem.

8. Grah

Grah Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Ok,

Freddy not ready for chelse but Chelsea need youth devloped in their League for 2 years to meet new EUFA champions league rules.

So Freddy could come over train at the academy and in 2 years be in the squad as a home grown.

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Funny how many people turn their noses up to this (I'm not attacking your or anyone with this). But some people that do own these business make some pretty damn good money.

10. United20

United20 Member

Feb 26, 2001
    New York City
    We are doing the "Got Milk" ad photo shoot with Freddie in March here in NYC. I'll ask the lil wipper snapper how much truth there is in that story.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think that England has a shortage of housekeepers, and therefore would give her a visa?

Again, if it were this easy, why hasn't anyone else breached the rule this way? Why isn't Vela with Arsenal?

12. Slingerfan1977

Slingerfan1977 New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    He's talking about Mrs. Adu starting a business, employing English workers, which is totally different from a work Visa.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    ah, let's pout a little more gas onto the fire....
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5329792

From Fox Sports's Bobby McMahon:

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bobby McMahon has got it wrong.

Messi was not signed by Barca until he was 18.

Cambiasso was signed by Real Madrid at the age of 16, in 1996, before the curent rules went into effect.

Coloccini was signed by AC Milan at the age of 17, in 1999, before the current rules went into effect.

Why can't these "journalists" get this stuff correct? I managed to do it with about five minutes of Google searches.

16. That could be a loophole, because two former PSV players own a cleaning business, the notorious twins van de Kerkhof. I knew that there was some kind of connection hiding for us:p

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You're missing the point. Intentionally, I assume.

Have there been cases of the parents, in cohoots with a future employer/club, moving to a EU country to get their offsprings a chance for either a WP or a chance to count as a EU player?

If so, then the precedent has been set.

18. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um did you not read above? That m,ethod was used in the past before the ruling came into place. May have been a reason for FIFA to act in the first place and make the exceptions they did.

Also you ignored the most important part of Bobby's article.

" The Soccer Investor reported that CONMEBOL is ready to refuse to allow the international transfer of players acting in such a manner."

19. An Ajax youth player came to Holland as fugitives from Africa, got educated by Ajax and was a huge talent, but was not given a workpermit in Holland, which enraged Ajax.

He then moved to Germany, got a workpermit in a blink of an eye, was also naturalized before he could say sauerkraut and is now playing for the German youth team. If I recall his name correctly it was Nando Rafael.
    I donot know for sure if this fits your question.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Nando Rafael's a refugee and an orphan, so it's not the same thing exactly... the Dutch government screwed up though.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I reiterate

Messi was not signed by Barca until he was 18.

Cambiasso was signed by Real Madrid at the age of 16, in 1996, before the curent rules went into effect.

Coloccini was signed by AC Milan at the age of 17, in 1999, before the current rules went into effect.

What precedent was set?

22. No, they did it intentionally, especially that xenofobitch Rita Verdonk, who is the minister for Foreigners affairs (no it is not misspelled!). She also tries to stall the naturalization of Kalou so as to make him miss the World Cup in Germany, where he has been promised a place in the line up already by van Basten. He will become Dutch anyway in a year time, so she is being xenophobic. She was also responsible for the death by fire of 16 people that were waiting for expulsion as being denied the status of refugee and showed no empathy whatsoever with the victims and their families.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Of you being obtuse.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying very hard here to convey just how bad this post is without it being a personal attack. I hope I succeed.

1. Look at the clubs named. 2 in Spain and 1 in Italy. None require a WP that's anything more than a formality. It's looser there than Belgium, which at least has a minimum salary.
    2. Precedents from the mid-90s are useless in the context of discussing Adu or Vela.

I suspect that you're smart enough to realize how bad your post is and are trolling. I have a hard time believing a voracious poster like yourself could be so ignorant about WPs.

Every time you troll, God kills a Eurosnob. So watch it, you might be next.

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My God, this scenario is about as likely as claiming that Ms. Adu could find Sherman, Mr. Peabody and the Wayback Machine, go back in time, and emmigrate to England just before Freddy is born.