"Much Adu about £5m as Chelsea close the net on teenage prodigy"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Stogey23, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Wow...
    Eventually, he'll get picked up.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    5m????

MLS would reject that IMO depending on how he does in World Cup/ WYC 2007.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    FFS, this isn't POSSIBLE. By LAW

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Everyone knows I think. We're talking about when he'll be 18. Even if stupid people write articles otherwise! :)

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Honestly though Appoo- if that is total fiction, the writer should be fired. It is way, way too in-depth an article (we aren't talking Sun blurbs)....isn't that a fairly respected publication? Wouldn't it be a bit off-beat to be so exact with much of the article.

Also, wouldn't it be freaky if the entire Nowak/Arena/Adu public stance was just a cover-up...O vey...:D

I ain't doubting you....I just find us at one of those forks in the road point. Either its true, or that dude should be fired (because its such detailed, outlandish fiction no respectable paper should print it)...

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    "Much Adu..." :(

Christ, give it a rest, journalists. Earn your salaries by being original with bylines...

Edit: googling "much adu" returns ~12,000 hits on google search.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Still owned by Murdoch so.......

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I thought it is possible, he just can't play for them until he's 18.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw this on Sky Sports and did a spit take. Ruined a very good cup of coffee and a middle-aged area rug. "Just like Chelsea to beat everyone to the punch." Nothing at all as far as commentary about whether the report was accurate or not.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he can't sign a foreign contract until he's 18.

at least that's what I thought, let me go look it up.

however, they might just be offering MLS first rights fee

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Did anyone watch the DC-Chelsea match last summer? Freddy looked more comfortable than any DC player on the pitch with the speed of the game and the level of skill Chelsea forced DC to play at. In particular, Moreno struggled (they didn't buy his jukes...seen that movie) and Quaranta looked totally lost.

Freddy also won a tet-a-tet vs. the highly-regarded, 19 (I believe) year old French defender that night.

I have no doubt- regardless of the outcome of this article- that Chelsea and Moriunho left impressed. Doesn't mean Fred doesn't have things to work on (like trying as hard on D as his level of skill on O), but the top clubs no doubt know his value...

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may be some sort of finagling going on to make it a future transfer that goes through on June 2, 2007, with Freddy remaining in MLS until then, but spending the offseasons training with Chelsea.

I dunno. It does seem impossible given the rules so we'll see what's going on. Maybe Chelsea found a birth certificate of his with a 1988 birthday. :)

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm sure Roman can make this happen :p

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    $5m pounds being the 'bird in the hand'?

I'm sure if there is a way around a loophole, Chelsea and MLS will know how to do it..

I wonder if Abramovich, Uncle Phil and Lamar will meet for some cognac and filet at a fine East End London establishment this spring and toast this deal?
    :)

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    they paid $35M for a 25 year old who doesn't even make the bench. whats $7M?

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Well the article did say they would loan Adu out so he could get some experience. Maybe he's already been sold to Chelsea and his stint at DCU is really just a loan. It had to be sold to the public as MLS signing him so that the league could cash in on his marketability for a few years. It's all been part of the Master Plan for World Domination.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Its more about Uncle Phil and Lamar saying "Holy jeez...usually WE are the ones who have to write $5 million dollar checks for soccer expenses", and finally 'enjoying' the experience of ownership.

Sometimes, its better to receive than give. :)

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Its more about Uncle Phil and Lamar saying "Holy jeez...usually WE are the ones who have to write $5 million dollar checks for soccer expenses", and finally 'enjoying' the experience of ownership.

Sometimes, its better to receive than give. :)

19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    And, quite honestly, this is why I don't understand one of the superclubs not setting up shop in Miami by now...one Shawn Wright-Phillips could get them pretty far down that road.

With the kind of money they splash around, why not set-up a comprehensive facility in the US that could not only be a training facility, but a way to raise US and Latin America merchandise profile, while having an inside track on the finest US and Latin America talent. A MLS based club in Miami with a Euro Superclub sponser would be a magnet for that...

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The thing that I can't figure out is that another season and a half in DC, he'll grow as a player, gain confidence and prolly be worth a helluvalot more.

It just seems like MLS would be selling too soon and not make enough money.

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news for the YA forum now that Cooper is back in the States. Who else would everyone have to talk about?

:D

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya and his real name is Födor Adukovich.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Keeping in mind that the pound is close to twice as much as the dollar and that figure is more like 10 million dollars.

Based on what he's shown so far, MLS would be doing well for getting 10 million bucks for Freddy. If he has a great season in 06 for DCU, that figure could go up but right now, 10 million US seems about right.

Of course, I think this story is all bunk because of the oft-mentioned ('cept in the article:rolleyes: ) FIFA ban on transfering out of country before you're 18.

This time next year, however....

24. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And be a detriment to other MLS clubs who are just now (outside of Metrostars) starting to set up real youth acadamies to develop and nurture talent....no thanks.

On a different note, this should be seen as a COMPLETE FAILURE to Manchester United fans if the Glazers cannot obtain and secure top American talent such as Adu.