Mr. Kraft, sell the effin' team! Please.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bruce S, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, completely agree on that.
    I do believe that even with however much authority JK has been given, he is still somewhat compelled by BK's vision and business strategies.

OTOH, when BK is no longer in the picture, JK (and whatever heirs he may share the organization with) are likely to be more influenced by how he envisions things. He very well might be more convinced of the growth opportunity of MLS - we just don't know.
    I don't think many of the arguments have been about whether it's a good idea or not, most of them have been about whether it is even remotely likely to happen.
    I think that's a very good point.
    I disagree. I think if it came to that the league would be totally convinced that a stadium deal isn't do-able here.

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, BK could live quite a while yet. That is an awfully long wait just to see if JK is going to be any different.

I agree that BK selling is not a likely event. I think the arguments often go into a lot of BK has already invested in this or that, BK has already done this, that and another thing... Like it is some advanced position for him that is a barrier to entry for other owners. For me that is faulty logic. If I assume there is no team in Boston/New England then, just like any other set of investor operators in any other city, their investment in a Boston/NE franchise is based on a clean slate business plan. I admit to the challenges (land, stadium) but also the attraction of a market that is fairly big compared to many MLS teams/proto-teams (Cincinatti, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Portland, Austen, Nashville, Vancouver, Orlando, KC come to mind as having close to 1/2 the metro population of metro-Boston, leaving out the rest of NE). We can then go into more fights over number of other sports in market and any number of secondary and tertiary topics. I’m simply saying that it seems perfectly reasonable that someone would choose to start a team here. 2nd teams have popped up in alternative rich and tough real estate markets (NY, LA). Bob Krafts team, once out of the picture, has almost no bearing on the decision.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So, you've talked to every fat cat in Greater Boston and they've all reported that none of them would try to make a go at soccer if the slate was wiped clean? Because that strikes me as an assumption that's increasingly worth challenging. I'd roll the dice on literally anybody else figuring it out. We've got enough evidence to determine Bob Kraft is unlikely to get it done.

I'm not sure suburban does a whole lot more for them than exurban. I don't think it's different enough to warrant the investment. Revere along the Blue Line or Quincy on the Red Line seems like about as suburban as they could get.

Bruce S repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Frankly, anything within 10 miles that has grass is fine!

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Columbus with respect:

Be careful what you wish for. We were ecstatic when Clark Hunt sold the team. We got Precourt.

Still, I do not think you guys are in our boat, Boston is too big a market for MLS to abandon.

But I feel your pain on the neglect.

I can also remember when NE was a soccer hotbed. Hosting MLS Cup and packing the house despite terrible weather and no home team in the final.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Regarding Boston being "too big" for MLS to abandon, Tampa is the #11 size market in the US and Miami is the #16. Boston is #9. San Jose/Bay Area is #6 - and remember they lost their team for 3 years while looking for a stadium solution.

Boston/New England is not indispensable to the league.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that I'd call it MLS abondonment but I can see Boston going without a team for a while. MLS would survive. But both Miami and San Jose serve as examples that bigger markets can get a second bite at having a team.

As if we could snap our fingers and make it happen... Staying the course with Kraft seems like a no risk/no reward choice - like keeping all your money in your 0.01% interest checking account. Kraft selling seems like a high risk but also potentially high reward choice - more like investing in stocks.

VTSoccerFan and a517dogg repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No. Good mass transit access is also a requirement. This will only get done once (if at all), it's needs to be done right.

I was pretty cool to the Suffolk Downs idea, but now that there's talk about linking the Blue Line with the Red at Charles/MGH, that makes it a significantly more attractive site to me.
    Tampa and Miami areas may be large markets, but they aren't really pro sports friendly ones. You see more Patriots fans than Fins fans when they play down there.
    No, but it is considered pretty darn important. The prestige of the league requires having a presence in the top sports markets around the country - this is one of them.

9. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #59 Brian in Boston, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    If the Planned Development Area documentation that HYM Investment Group has prepared and submitted as part of their Suffolk Downs Redevelopment project is any indication, than the prospect of a soccer-specific stadium being built on the site of the former horse racing facility seems remote.

http://www.suffolkdownsredevelopment.com
    http://www.suffolkdownsredevelopment.com/project-documents/

Frankly, it would seem that in building a home for the Revolution, the closest to Suffolk Downs that the Krafts could now get is the site of the former Wonderland Park.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kraft is just waiting for Greater Boston to engulf Patriot Place........

A Casual Fan and MM66 repped this.
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Nothing else with the Revs matters much until something big changes. Like Krafts selling the team. It’s not like they have bad luck with injuries or their grass groundsmen all got sick. It’s the Revs, on short money, on the dirty carpet, in Foxboro cavern. This is what the past and future looks like until they sell.