Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He better own the Gold Cup to revitalize his NT career or see it as a fitting end.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Spain was 10 years ago. I was referring to the now or at least in the past year or 2.

I get that he can only score against those in front of him, but Jozy hasn't had a solid tournament to his name. Yes, it was due to injury in 2014. He did average in 2010. But what of Gold Cups?

yurch10 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    What other players besides the USMNT Lions can continue to have people defend performance from 5-10 years ago!?

Sure, dirk can't even run anymore, but did you see him in the finals in 2012!? Get him naturalized and on the US Olympic team!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people are still mad that a very good player isn't great.

He walks into most WC squads. If he was an uncapped guy eligible for a 1 time switch, people would throw roses.

freisland repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Eddie Johnson might walk into most WC squads, but that doesn't give much credibility.

Jozy has earned our respect and he contributed, but going forward; his role has to change unless he proves that he's the no.1 striker. I feel he needs competition and he hasn't had it for years. The challenge is what gets that FIRE going.

But I do wanna see Sargent/Weah/Nova getting chances and knowing they're what's IN and what's NEXT.

7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's looking good at the moment. I wish I was more confident in how MLS success translates up, but at that pace he's a lock in the 23. Unlike his midfield mate who looked pedestrian at best. For me it's Altidore, Sargent and one of Wood, Weah or one of the new kids on the block.

8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I was unaware that international squads were only allowed one striker. Christ, can we have Jozy and a couple of the new guys too?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Wood can’t even make the bench. He’s toast.

10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yes, and the same what have you done for me lately people still bring up his failure to carry Hull on his back as a 19 year old.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wood has been injured.

Jozy has looked brilliant. He seems lighter on his feet than I recall ever seeing.

My GC strikers would Zardes, Morris, and Nova. Jozy would be a right forward in 3G's system.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Who expected Jozy to carry Hull on his back?

yurch10 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not walking into any WC side that has a shot at winning it. Legit or long shot.

14. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should fit pretty well for us then for the foreseeable future.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s no point in wasting time with him or Zardes. Their not good enough. We should be looking to Sarge, Weah and Nova and see which of them can make that role their own.

16. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Would any of the USA players get anywhere near the England team?

Thanks for Miazga by the way .Enjoying watching him this season .

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic, Wes, Adams and Brooks would all be in the mix. Hard to tell with anyone else. I think Steffen would be talent wise but wouldn’t sniff the side until he’s playing at a higher level.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what makes you think weah will be a better center forward than zardes or Altidore? And Nova, a guy who's doing OK but not great in the eredivisie--a league where both Altidore AND Bradley scored far more goals than him?

Marko72 and largegarlic repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These games were/are friendlies. The GC isn’t important other than the fact that it’s a bunch of PT. These are games we should be using to look at the future. Zardes is what he is at this point. So is Jozy. If Sarge and Weah or even Nova don’t show enough then drop them and bring Jozy/Zardes back into the fold for qualification. These games are a great chance to see what they have. These are games to showcase them and potentially get them a better chance with their clubs or future clubs. No need to see Zardes/Jozy play every minute.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dutch league of 2007-2013 is a lot different than today.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In what way?

Marko72 repped this.
  22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. I don't like using the same guys for every single game. That's got be partly why guys have to "retire" from international football so often.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That scoring is more tuned up than today so far more difficult to score as easily.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm not sure stats a very clear on that (although the "runaway" 30+ goal scorer didn't show up the last few years, or this year - yet, at least, but 18/19 is set to be top 10 and perhaps top 5 in history of Ered for goals scored) and regardless Nova is what, 29th? To argue there is any relation between his goal scoring prowess (whatever minor changes there might be in overall scoring) and that of Jozy or Aronjo in the Red is a stretch. He may turn out to be a fine player, but right now, he's not making much of a case. He is, of course, quite young, which makes it a question of potential. But the Ered is logging lots of goals this year.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If either player was worth every minute that’s a different case but neither are. Neither are special and neither are young. We have a gap of time until games start to matter. We should be taking a look at young guys with potential at this point in the cycle.