Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He is statistically a good dribbler. Any number of highlight videos demonstrate he has good pace. His best international goal, the one against Spain, showed off his killer lateral movement. He doesn't get a chance to cross often.

delandis and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much longer is his contract at TFC? Those heavy salaries of his and Bradley. Is it paying off for them?

3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've won 1 Supporters Shield, 1 MLS Cup and 3 Canadian Championship as well as 1 runner's up spot in another MLS Cup and in the CCL since he joined. I'd say he's paying off.

Guinho and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was all of those things...that spain goal was 10 years ago.

.i wish he would go back to that style instead of the back to goal battering ram that sunderland, JK arena etc used him as.....just b/c he's big and strong they make him play like he's an oaf.

Guinho repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a good interview embedded on the page. I like that he is thinking about breaking the record. I also wasn't aware that he is a father.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/25/jozy-altidore-future-toronto-fc-mexico-mls-usmnt-haiti

Altidore has 41 international goals, just 16 behind all-time USMNT leaders Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey at 57. When asked if he can break that mark, Altidore doesn’t hesitate. “Yeah, absolutely,” he says during a sit-down interview at the MLS media day. “16 goals? Yeah, I can definitely do it.”

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He probably will. He'll have years and chances to score against the B-teams of Costa Rica/Panama and score on Martinique/Grenada/El Salvador at the Gold Cup.

He needed a goal at the WC to really solidify himself in our memories. His greatest goal is probably stil against Spain in the Confed Cup. Dempsey has had a few WC goals as well as the Copa and several Gold Cups. Wynalda had 1 WC goal and a few in the Copa back in 95.

Jozy needs that. Like the winning goal in a Gold Cup final with Mexico.

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He’s only 29? I thought he was more like 34

He might well do it. I don’t get how he actually does pretty well, yet sticks in memory as somewhat lackluster

Sigh.

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been a fixture for so long. He made his USMNT debut in 2007!

Guinho and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, come the 2030 World Cup, Sargent, Pulisic, McKennie and Adams will still be in their prime...and Beasley will still be the best option at left-back :D

12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are joking but a none of those guys will be over 31. One or two will probably still be playing well.

Hopefully, by that point Bease will be managing his fashion and jewelry lines.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was only joking about DMB.

But you never know with underdogs. Roger Milla did a pretty good job for Cameron in 1994 at the age of 42.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This statement is why we have regressed the past decade. Someone of that caliber should not be a fixture.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A best 11 striker in Holland shouldn't be able to hold down a spot for the USMNT?

That post must be written from a glorious future.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Best 11 in Holland is sandwiched between two horrible stints not in Holland. How many goals did he score the other five years in Europe?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he couldn't hack it at a higher level, though I expect it had something to do with playing under shitty managers who made him a target man up front, which he is not.

tomásbernal repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He didn't have the skills to play anything else.

Either way, it's ridiculous to hand someone the job at an early age and pencil them in for ten to fifteen years. We're doing that with our youngsters now (Pulisic, Sargent, Weah) and it's just as silly.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's better than he was back then. He's added a lot to his hold up game. I believe his defense is betteras well.

He hasn't been penciled in over better players that I can recall.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He can BOSS it against CONCACAF nations, but he's gone missing against bigger nations; which is when we really need him.

ifsteve repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm really amazed he doesn't have 1 goal against Mexico. Then again, neither does Dempsey.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Sargent and Weah are not yet penciled in.

The only guys that should be penciled in are Pulisic, Adams, and McKennie. UNTIL some other guys emerges that are playing/starting regularly at a CL club.

Sorry MLS guys, your best MLS team is ranked #178 in world soccer. So yeah, I don't care if your ripping it in MLS, it carries a lot less weight than a guy that's playing regularly at a much higher level of competition.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

That's why he failed multiple times in La Liga and the EPL.

His talent is limited. He can be a good in a small pond.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He hasn't been bossing CONCACAF lately. That's a problem.

LouisianaViking07/09 and yurch10 repped this.
  25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Said it on a different thread (this one is more appropriate), but he scored in one Hex game. Can he "boss it" against CONCACAF, or not? From recent accounts over the last two years, that's a no (unless it's even worse teams than the Hex).

LouisianaViking07/09 and puttputtfc repped this.