Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I see is defense so poor it makes the Ered look world class on that end.

Defender literally played 10-15 off him and he made a pass any academy player could pick out.

2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The best part didn't make the clip. I was more impressed with the steal and dribbling to set up the easy pass. Even this longer one kinda of missed it.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...-united-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/165834

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jozy is scoring at a lower clip in MLS than he did in the Eredivisie. Without Gio in the lineup, the rates are about the same.

5. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    What face?..

IndividualEleven repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does have an amazing record outside of tier 1 leagues.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet he's so limited that he's never been effective in good competition, whether in La Liga, the EPL, or Mexico/CR.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally somebody articulates my best sense of how US should play (except I would add a wrinkle of having one fb defending and the other attacking, with 3 cb's a 9 and one forward winger so that the width on the opposite side comes from the free 8 and wb).

It's Matt Doyle expatiating on Dom Torrenc's NYCFC tactics by way of Guardiola, his former boss.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/05/armchair-analyst-josefs-binge-nycfcs-donut-more-week-23

"We found Ismael many, many times on the left side, we played free and this is our intention," he offered. "Play with the wingers wide and they cross all the time inside. The best way for me to attack is our wingers wide."

This is somewhat unusual in the modern game, one in which wingers are mostly inverted and fullbacks mostly overlap. But this is not unusual for City Football Group, and the system Torrent's describing is the same one that Pep Guardiola mostly used at Manchester City last year.

1. The wingers stay wide instead of being inverted, effectively spreading out the entire opposing backline instead of letting them stay compact

2. The fullbacks push up usually in support – as a platform for distribution – rather than as pure overlappers. When they do push into the attack, it's as often as not to be underlappers, i.e. playing inside the winger rather than outside the winger

3. The midfield has a back point and two playmakers. Kevin De Bruyne called the role a "free 8," but really they're just modern No. 10s who have to defend a little bit

4. Because the wingers are wide and the fullbacks are supporting possession, the Free 8s push forward to attack inside channels while the No. 9 occupies central defenders. Simple spacing – the wingers are pulling the backline apart by staying wide, remember – gives them more room to get into dangerous spots

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you doubt Jozy's value, just check out his key play on Rickett's goal as he punks @ussoccer97531 's favorite rookie Miles Robinson, lol. So quick and dirty. They don't give VAR slo mo.

p,s. Bradley final figures out that you want to give Gio the ball in the final third:thumbsup:, not the halfway line:thumbsdown:. It only took like forever:confused:

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My favorite rookie?

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Last year, yes, I think you were a big fan from his U20 days. Is my memory faulty? if so I apologize.

12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why this is an insult or a concern. If you told most teams in the World Cup, that their best toward is only best 11 caliber in the Eredivise, that would be a strong upgrade.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you going to sit here and tell me that a player can help his team besides goals and direct assists!?

Excellency repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Plenty of forward do great in the Eredivise and then flop in stronger leagues, and against World Cup level competition, just like Jozy.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't address my comment. Most teams don't field a forward of that quality.

I understand that you are focused on Jozy's tenure in England to the virtual exclusion off all other data.

I am more interested in the USMNT winning tournaments and the current status of our players. Until he is beat out, JA is our best striker. I will be quite happy if our team is suddenly so loaded that he is moved aside.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS All-Star!

17. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laugh or cry?

Depends on how invested you are in the MLS I guess.

18. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Great tackle by Jozy this weekend. What a putz this guy has turned into. Every week I lose more and more interest in seeing him back at any point with the nats. Someone else said it best, he has just turned into a lazy player, diving a bunch, petulant. I'm happy just dropping him completely along with the other LIONS. What nasty behavior.

Another enjoyable part of that sequence was the announcer (I think it was Keller) who saw it in slowmo and said "yeah, this is a play that VAR would likely just make a yellow card if it were in use", while the ball was 8 feet away from the defender and Jozy legitimately trying to shatter the guys shin.

19. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy has gotten so many cards over the years for such boneheaded fouls that I have often wondered if he just wanted the night off!

neems and chad repped this.
  20. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Clip?

21. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
  22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    This is pretty blatant and should probably be a multiple game suspension. Really no different than punching another player or starting a fight with the NYRB.
    Mentality enhances or negates talent. At least the next gen looks to have their heads on straight...

23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Thx for the clip. Was bummed it cut off just as Keller was saying it looks like a yellow max.

I'm usually all for avoiding red cards, as I think refs should stay out of the game unless something ridiculous happens that can't be overlooked. This was clearly one of those times, though. Then the sarcastic thumbs up from Jozy. What a loser.

Also, I think this is much worse than a punch/fight/slight headbutt/hand to the neck. That stuff is all just macho posturing from generally un-macho guys. This was an attempt to seriously injure, and easily could have broken that dude's ankle.

24. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Punk. And many want to pencil that guy in as a starter for the USMNT? I wouldn't want him near my locker room.

chad repped this.
  25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was very stupid and red card worthy, but nowhere close to breaking an ankle or “seriously injuring”.

superdave repped this.