Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are all the people who said Jozy's goal was offside?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Only problem with that is a wide midfielder can’t fake tie his shoes behind a defender to catch his breath, midfielders have to defend

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He has an excellent work rate. Imo he'd be most useful against teams that defend with 10 behind the ball.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Those were the days

5. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thank god his transfer fee was only like 11 million pounds and not 41 million.

But he still was pretty costly for a club like Sunderland. Not a good legacy at all.

He's listed as having 7 assists during his time at Hull. Not too bad for a 20 year old with only limited Euro experience.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #858 Clint Eastwood, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Keep in mind that Sunderland could probably make their own list of 100 worst transfers over the last 10 years.

Some guys just aren't Premier-League caliber. If the US had such a player they'd have started him over Jozy. That guy didn't exist in the US pool. So Jozy has been counted on a ton from the time he was 19. He was the youngest starting forward at the 2010 World Cup.

None of the other forwards his generation developed at all. So when folks criticize Jozy Altidore (which is fine and their prerogative) they are criticizing the one guy that "made it."

The forwards on our 2007/2009 U20 World Cup and 2007/2009 U20 CONCACAF Championships teams. [Jozy was eligible for the 2009 team, but wasn't released.]

Jozy Altidore
    Preston Zimmerman
    Gabe Ferrari
    Andre Akpan
    Johann Smith
    Sal Zizzo (listed as a forward anyway, but I remember him as a winger at the time)
    Peri Marosevic
    Tony Taylor
    Billy Schuler
    Sam Garza
    Brek Shea (played forward on the 2009 team due to a complete lack of options.)

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really believe he would have succeeded in a Ligue 1 or Serie A

10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he could have succeeded at another EPL club. Sunderland is just a bad club. You can say the are the Hamburg of England.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a shot at another EPL club--how did that go?

12. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Hull City? Competing in their second ever season in the Premier League. He did about as well as the rest of the team. He scored two goals in 17 games and only outdone as a forward by only one guy who scored 3 in two more games. In addition to that guy, two more scored five that season and one other scored six, all midfielders. Hull might be the only Premier League team that's a bigger train wreck than Sunderland.

13. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was unaware that Sunderland are the only team to never be relegated from the top flight in their league. Kudos to them.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A guy like Jozy was never going to get a shot with a better team than than relegation fodder.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that?

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He's not good enough. Slow, poor first touch, terrible off the ball movement and apparently lazy. As the board's token Hull City fan, I was glad when he left.

SCSAutism repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s been plenty of video evidence floating around on this point.

SCSAutism repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what do you think the hopes are for Larin since he's off to Turkey?

Same club that Jozy played for I think.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I

This answer seems a bit biased...Slow compared to whom? Terrible touch compared to whom?

That's not an answer.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible touch in comparison to the average successful EPL forward. Slow in comparison to the average successful EPL forwards.

Jozy has also struggled against good teams internationally in competitive matches, as has been demonstrated. He needs perfect conditions to be effective (typically a home match against inferior competition).

Here's an emblematic example of what he often brings to the table that won't cut-it:

pic.twitter.com/ebq43hZsNd

What leads you to believe he would be successful?

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has performed well on teams that are able to stand up to their competition, PSV, USA,TFC. I tend to think that he would be far more effective on a middle table team than on relegation fodder.

The idea that he is slow is laughable. I also don't think much of the lazy take,he sure defends for TFC .

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't remember him playing for PSV, you'll have an impossible time defending his recent USA form and MLS is a joke.

You may not think he is slow or lazy but plenty of Hull and Sunderland fans disagree. There's a reason he never made in a top league. Other players are much better.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  23. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They called him Dozy Antiscore. And it was not a minority. Jozy is a confidence player who was very fragile at that time. He lost his.

He needs to be on a team where he is not the solo scoring threat. In the EPL, even now, the bottom 10 teams usually depend on their forward for 1 of 2 things. Aerial dominance or incredible work rate. Jozy is not very good in the air, and his work rate across 90 minutes isn't good enough for an inferior team or a team looking to press. He can be marked out of games entirely, and when he is, you often see him walking or jogging and not closing down or running the channels.

He is the best of a bad bunch of prospects that came through with him. He is not built for top leagues because the things he does well, the best teams have someone who does them better. And the lower teams can't afford to have his faults. He is perfect for the eredivisie, mls, or Serie A because those leagues let his best come out. He's made a good career, no doubt. But he often way under relievers or is hurt for the US in big games.

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you rank the Dutch league?

I typed PSV instead of AZ. I think you know what I meant. I don't care if Hull or Sunderland fans can't tell the difference between a fast player and a slow player.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol you must be flaming us. Jozy’s top speed is mediocre, but his acceleration is so terrible he rarely even gets to his top gear before losing the ball to a defender or for no reason at all..