Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I don't have a problem with this. They earned the treatment. It's cool that the Atlanta fans cared enough to do it, tbh.

gunnerfan7, sXeWesley, chad and 2 others repped this.
  2. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Couldn't agree more. They let down a whole nation of fans. They deserve every bit of what is thrown at them and more. Jozy is missing the point too if he thinks these are the same boo birds he usually hears.

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    majspike and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was as angry with Bradley and Altidore after T&T as everyone else, but watching them in the playoffs has softened my stance towards them. Since others have provided good defenses of Bradley in other threads, I thought I would say something in defense of Altidore here. I think he should still be part of the USMNT pool going forward, not necessarily the default starter, but an option, because:

1. He can still be a very useful player in the right situation. He's not a high work rate guy, so starting him on short rest on a heavy field or expecting him to be the frontline of pressure if you're pressing high up the field may not be a good idea, but he has become very good at occupying CBs, combining with quick, skillful players running off of him (Pulisic or Giovinco), and taking his chances when they set him up.

Also, he just turned 28 and has 41 goals for the US. You shouldn't casually throw away a player still in his prime with that track record of production.

2. Especially when...the other forward options ain't great. We're lucky in the sense that we have a lot of reasonable options, but all of them are mediocre. The guys people like from MLS (Sapong, Ramirez, Dwyer) are all in their late 20s as well. Morris had a tough 2nd season. The YA options are either struggling for minutes/form (Wood, Johannsson), playing in lower divisions (Boyd, Green, Novakovich), or not ready for primetime yet (Wright, Sargent). It's not like CM or CB where we have lots of promising young guys knocking on the door.

Marko72, SamsArmySam, Mr Martin and 5 others repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bruce set him and Mikey up for failure. The US has people to set up like TFC but the coach didn't do it.

Jozy should have been a sub against T&T coming off the short week and half-fit.

largegarlic repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Altidore still has a lot to give us but he shouldn't just be our de facto striker going forward. I like him combining with Wood and Pulisic.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the game. For a tie and in game, I'd probably just have one of Wood/Jozy to start. They are both good subs.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. These guys choked. Without Pulisic, this team would have been eliminated before T&T. These “leaders” were totally dependent on a 19 year old dragging their tired asses with him.

11. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the exact opposite. Watching their fight and their desire has made my dislike turn to hate. I never want to see either of them in a US uniform ever again.

yurch10, USA-Zebuel, gunnerfan7 and 5 others repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Neither Bradley nor Altidore 'choked'. The latter, as I've argued, is simply not an elite Concacaf striker. His record in the Hex, home blowouts aside, is pretty weak. His road record is even weaker.

Bradley played d-mid. And very few of the goals against can be placed at his foot.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not going to make the same arguments again.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wanna bet

Thundering165 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has great stats in CONCACAF, but yeah I def concur. He's not bringing in the goals against the Mexico/Costa Rica's of the world.

and his lack of tournament goals against big teams hurts him somewhat.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If he continues with the NT I would like to see him played as a wide midfielder. He has a wide's field vision. He is at his best when drifting wide or dropping deep.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #843 50/50 Ball, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Why not play him in his TFC role? Seems to suit him.

19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP had no goals or assists versus a team better than Panama in this Hex, unlike Jozy and Bradley who assisted and scored versus Mexico respectively. Of course, no one did jack against CR in either match, which contributed to doing us in.

20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of World Cup goals is certainly a blight on his resume, but I've run the numbers on Jozy Altidore's USMNT career and it doesn't really support the pervasive narrative about him on BigSoccer: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/altidore-and-boos.2077584/page-2#post-36032466. Altidore has a better strike rate in official competitions than friendlies, and he's averaged .44 goals/game in WCQ matches. While it's true that more of his goals have come against "weaker" teams, that's basically true of every USMNT player ever except for Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan. Take a look at the teams against which Eric Wynalda scored his 34 goals, or against which Brian McBride scored his 30 USMNT goals:

Jozy is certainly missing that "signature moment" in a World Cup that McBride and Wynalda both had, but his strike rate is better than those two, and he's scored goals against competition of fairly equivalent caliber.

Mr Martin, Marko72, ayers and 5 others repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, Jozy created multiple chances for CP in the home CR game and was robbed by Navas on a great save

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Our midfielders have defensive responsibilities which is not Jozy's strength. It's not Nagbe's strength either but I hope to see neither in that position ever again.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nagbe is good but isn't a flashy pit bull type. Jozy works quite hard in defending, at least when he is with TFC. NT coaches typically have him stay up top. I wouldn't want Jozy going against an elite attacking fullback, but he might offer something against the non-elites.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    And the exact reason why Bradley never stood up for Pulisic, Pulisic was taking away the team from Bradley.

25. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Jozy and Mikey make a one time switch to play for Canada going forward? Please FIFA allow this to happen so that Canada can keep on doing what they are very good at doing which is to miss the World Cup. These two have gathered some experience recently and will fit right in.