Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did he elaborate?

he doesn't seem like a party animal (like some in that team were) but he also didn't seem like a loner. I know he had a charity or foundation he was working with a few years ago.

2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be. But also, see my previous post about how JK used him, I felt it was much the same at Hull, where they looked at him and thought "Emile Heskey." Whether that was racism, a lack of imagination or just plain stupidity, I will leave to others to debate.

I was not surprised when he went to Holland and played in a system designed to give him space and movement, he tore it up.

Bajoro and Mr Martin repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm just sure many folks couldn't think of a white version of Heskey. None come to mind for me but I see your point

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an FYI, but that part of my post was at least partially tongue in cheek

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @Tony in Quakeland I agree with the assessment on how jozy is used. TFC uses him correctly. Over his career you see how he plays better with a fast second striker and ball to his feet. Gio, C.davies are examples of strikers he jelled with nicely because they complement each other.
    Just imagine if G.rossi chose the US nat team. that partnership would've been amazing. The EPL teams he played for played kick it long and hope for the best brand of football. Jozy needs to stay away from relegation battling teams.

50/50 Ball and Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm convinced that he could be a huge bargain to a top tier club as their 3rd or 4th scoring option.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Altidore has won the 2016 Futbol de Primera U.S. Player of the Year award. Pulisic finished 2nd, and Bradley finished 3rd.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it racist? Please address the fact that he is stylistically similar to Heskey in his inability to score, but contribute in other ways.

Yes, he scored in Holland because it is an easier league to score in. Same reason he scores in MLS.

9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rigged!

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the 1 thing stopping them would be would they really drop $4 million a year in wages to this guy

though he could help sell way more jerseys in the USA if say PSG signed him

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'm so confused. is this because of NT play or do they also take into account club play?

Pulisic for sure deserves a top 3 running. But for me it'd be between Wood and Dempsey for no1 and Pulisic as 3rd

12. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was McBride the white Heskey?

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'd bet he has more goals per games then Heskey but then i'm biased

14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he had Better be. This is his chance. Cause Bobby is nipping on his heels.

17. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His chance? His chance to do what exactly? Score the most WCQ goals in USMNT history? Done that. Be the # 3 goal scorer for the USMNT at the ripe old age of 27? Done that too.

Is he perfect? Nope. Is he streaky? Yup. Will he ever meet the expectations of the fan base? Probably not. That's not his fault though.

2in10 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has achieved those things. Though you could argue like (Wayne Rooney) expectations were much higher. He hasn't performed superbly at any tournament. Mostly due to injury. But time is running out.

I think we play far better with Jozy and Wood though if it came down to it might be just Wood up top. Jozy has to showcase why he is still an automatic choice.

19. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose expectations? If didn’t meet or exceed his coaches' expectations, he wouldn't play. Expectations from the fans? Those are usually inflated and built on hope and not reality.

As far as tournaments go, he's missed most due to injury, but those he's been in, he hasn't done superbly.

He does play well with Wood. His record is reason enough for why he starts.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Or simply the fact we don't have anyone better. He's exceptional during qualifying but doesn't seem to make it Click during tournaments. He's a hot n cold type striker. Though of course as you say, even without he is our 3rd highest goal scorer. I hope for the best for him. Scoring some goals at the World Cup. He's def overdue a tournament to make it his own (ala McBride in 2002)

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more than satisfied with this effort. The Jozy haters should be in witness protection about now.

chalaron and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr Martin and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Needs to bring that to the Mexico match