Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think it should have gone to Dempsey for his performance in the Centenario.

John Brooks was another contender.

I love Jozy...but his absence in the Centenario disqualified him, Imo.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we need to win those games?

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was the most dangerous man on the field in the MLS Cup and ran for 120 minutes without getting hurt. I'll take it.

drumline123 and 2in10 repped this.
  4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mls stats for season:
    29 Games
    15 goals
    7 assist
    Still a great season. It feels like Jozy is becoming more consistent

TheHoustonHoyaFan and 2in10 repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, next year is a huge year for Jozy. Aside from the qualifiers, he'll have the January camp to get him fit for the season, and hopefully will make it through that with fitness, and have a running start to the TFC campaign. Should he build on the year he's had this past, he could be a target for some overseas clubs again. If ol Bob at Swansea is looking for a bargain, Jozy might not be a bad one, compared to what he would have to pay for an English striker or thereabouts.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If Bob wants to incite a lynch mob, buying Jozy Altidore might just be a good way to go about it.

Mr Martin, ChrisSSBB, truefan420 and 3 others repped this.
  7. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yea for jozy sake and bradley, this move should not be made lol. Go to Italy or Germany.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The point was made w/re to the award.

9. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How much is jozy making on weekly salary in euros?
    80k?

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^THIS
    Either Dempsey or Wood for me.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Or even Ligue 1. Might fare there the best

Mr Martin and drumline123 repped this.
  12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the ball hits the back of the net.

ttrevett repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    which may not be likely as we have seen on 2 prior trips to England for him

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know why anybody would want Jozy to go anywhere.

He looks as happy and "in form" as I can remember.
    He's done the whole "seeking glory" adventure in Spain, Turkey, Holland, England, etc.

And he's getting paid handsomely by TFC.

6 ft. Leprechaun and Marko72 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well for sure if money is the primary concern he shouldn't go anywhere.

But it'd be nice if we had a Yank scoring goals in Europe like there was in my youth :p

He's shown really good form this year and I'd like to see him test himself again in Europe.

ttrevett repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure.
    But these are our own selfish interests. Just like they were when folks were screaming and shouting that Donovan should have gone to Europe.

And now he has unfinished business in Toronto. I'm looking forward to 2017 being the "Year of Jozy" in MLS.

Trivia Question: How many USMNT-eligible forwards finished in the top 10 in MLS goalscoring in 2017?
    The answer is exactly ZERO. [Until Dom Dwyer becomes a citizen.]

We need Morris, Altidore, Agudelo, and company to retake control of the goal-scoring mantle in the league.
    Goals scored in MLS count just as much as they do in France.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're right. Though it can be said the same for any Yank in Europe who may not be playing well or on the bench and the response is "come to MLS. Stay in the league" when perhaps we should champion the player to fight through bad form or show persistence to be a starter. It's all the same just different sides of the coin IMO

They count indeed but it's a relative matter. Goals also count in Malta but we shouldn't exactly throw a parade.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if he shows that he can replicate his good performances on the field in MLS for the USMNT, I probably shouldn't give a rats tail where he plies his professional trade.

I just happen to be of the opinion that a higher level of competition for a starting spot makes one a better player. He has no competition for his starting XI spot at TFC. None. Now, he hasn't over the past year either so one could argue that he has become the player his is today in this environment so clearly there is something about the TFC situation that benefits his game.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True, but the lynching would commence the moment the press gets hold of the Jozy-to-Swansea rumors..

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Going down the list of players of players who have played abroad that return to MLS, I'm not sure that it applies at all, really. It's more likely to apply to a player that has never broken through in a major European league than one that has.

21. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at how he was used at TFC. Look at how he was used under JK.

For the Nats he has typically been a static hold up forward battling for space against the centerbacks. This is because, like many bad coaches before him, they see a big body and think that's his role.

While he still holds up and provides for TFC, be moves around a lot more. Jozy has always likes space, liked to go at people. His partnership with Giovincio is so effective because he moves around so much and draws defenses out of shape, which in turn gives Jozy more spaces to move into.

My point? Expect to see him used on the Nats the way he was used at TFC. And therefore expect Jozy beast mode.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's true that better competition makes a player better but to counter that is losing confidence because of the way a coach plays you or the style of a team doesn't fit or the team is so poor you cannot shine. Jozy in England was not confident while Jozy in MLS is. I think that makes him a better player even though the competition is lesser.

orcrist repped this.
  23. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I heard Jozy was having problems in his personal life in England. And trying to play football wasn't his main concern. He said it in an interview. I want to see him give Europe another go, because at the right team he can do it.

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other interest is there in watching soccer? Or in following a certain player? Unless you are related or a personal friend to him, it's all about our pleasure in the watching of the game.

I never get this idea that soccer is "Days of our lives". It's a sport, and for the overwhelming majority of us, it is entertainment, separate and discrete from our actual day-to-day existence.

I certainly never expect any of the millions of people who get statements printed by the software I maintain to care about which career path I take, or if I chose a geographical location (like most people even *have* that luxury!) which suits me, as long as the end product works. All my customers care about is the end product; maybe there is a modicum of interest that I am not e.g. an actual slave without enough to eat, but that's it.

I am confident Jozy will maintain his freedom, get paid well (more than most of us can dream of), and get enough to eat, no matter where he plays. So I feel no moral qualms about only caring if he progresses his career in a way which entertains me most.