Moving Forward: Next Manager

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by CBusCrew12, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's true. Both Brazil and the US had only 4 starters over thirty (Julio Cesar, Juan, Lucio, Gliberto Silva) vs (Howard, Bocanegra, DeMerit, Cherundolo).

2. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to throw out an idea as crazy as others in the thread, how about Ghana's Serbian manager Milovan Rajevac? Then, hire someone that point out kicking the ball into the net is a goal in penalty kicks. ;-)

3. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have to scratch my head when people give Bob credit for a second place finish at the Confed Cup. Let's see we blew a 2-0 lead to Brazil by trying the good ole bunker ball and long ball. Let's not forget that the we did not control our destiny whatsoever to get there. I seem to remember the stars having to align perfectly for us to make it to the final. As a matter of fact when you compare the Confed Cup performance to the WC performance they are pretty similar. The exception being that we were a bit luckier in the Confed Cup and we had CD9.

No, I am sorry Bob had his chance. The team has progressed, but we need to get to the next level. I just don't see this happening with the current formula.

4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he gets credit because we DID finish 2nd.... results are what matter. We did blow a 2-0 lead to Brazil... we also almost won a FIFA international tournament. In the Confed Cup we also had a healthier team, when you not only consider CD9, but also Gooch. Also, if we always talked about controlling our own destiny, we didn't do that in 2002 either. The only time we controlled our own destiny by winning a game three in the group stage was this year. Give him credit for what he achieved. I think we need a new coach for the cycle, but give credit where it is due. We hit certain highs we had never hit previously.

5. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    So what do you want to call that??? Losing w/ elegance :rolleyes:

6. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know why people can't hold the thought that Bob did well while also believing that it's time to move on. No need to deny him his do.

New blood is good and is better for the players to prove themselves to a new coach.

We don't need Klinsi though, we need Jogi.

7. FCK4ever

FCK4ever Member

Jun 17, 2007
    In the heart of the
    Funnily enough he is available after the world cup. He hasn't signed a new contract yet.

8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i thought it was interesting that the training staff that is responsible for the great fitness of the German NT is American ... and apparently our head fitness guy, who ended up having our guys gassed at the knockout round is French?

there is something wrong with this picture ... i say hire that firm that is responsible for the German fitness programme.

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It is funny how people here are not at all taking liquidity of the USSF into account. We are NOT flush with cash people...

That is going to be a big part of the decision on who to hire, a bunch of the guys you all have mentioned won't be available because we simply can't afford them.

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, the issue with Klinsman supposedly wasnt the money. It was the USSF not wanting to give up power and allowing him to restructure US soccer that was the breaking point.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No I wasn't necessarily meaning Klinsi, I think financially he's available.

I was talking about people throwing out:

Pelligrini, Perreira, Rajevac, Capello, Lippi, Dunga etc. etc.

I have seen these names thrown around and none of them would be available.

12. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What if the US went after a S.American coach or maybe a Dutch coach the players coming up play a more fluent style and someone from these places could harness those abilities better. We could go American still and go for maybe Sigi. I just believe the US needs to move on to a new coach.

13. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Good point. I more concerned regarding BB if he got a second chance would he stick with this group verses continuing to look at the next generation of players. As for Brazil, I was under the impression they left a few really good young players off the roster.

14. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Rajevac doesn't make much more than Bradley. According to some lists, he makes less. A list. The same list as a chart. (The original source seems to have vanished from the web.)

Capello makes a ridiculous amount of money. Lippi, Loew, van Marawijk, Hitzfeld, del Bosque, Queiroz, Verbeek, Parreira, and Aguirre are probably out of our price range.

Dunga, Rehhagel, Bielsa, Olsen, Rajevac, Antic, and Tabarez probably aren't.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I highly doubt we could afford Bielsa or Dunga especially because we'll be outbid by other countries like Mexico.

16. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the money available for the next coach, like everything else with the USSF, it is hard to ever really know what the true situation is.

From a relative standpoint, I agree it might be considered unpalatable to the Fed to go from paying $500k to $3-4 million per. But I would think given the sponsorship situation (i.e. Uncle Phil and the Nike folks, among others) and the prospects for an enhanced profile and all that goes with it over the next four years that putting together a compensation package on the order of $1.5-$2 million+ per shouldn't be beyond the capability to afford.

17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann brought them to the German team when he was coach. It was one of the many things for which he was ridiculed, initially. I suspect that Loew has kept many of the things Klinsmann brought to the German national team
    as far as preparation and management. Loew was always the tactician of the squad.

18. chiton

chiton New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Pekerman
    simply stated he is going to help develop the youth and bring us to the next level, our players don't have the street smart when playing that other kids around the world have and we need to impprove there before we can dream on getting to a higher level on the senior USMNT

19. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    Maybe if Klinsman had stuck to coaching Germany would have won the last WC. Klinsman tried to play the restructure game with Bayern and they structured him out.

20. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way that he brought Messi along in the 2006 World Cup? Messi couldn't get in a game for more than 10 minutes at a time in 2006 and didn't get in the game at all in their quarterfinal loss to Germany - despite them going into overtime. I thought that Messi consistently looked like the best player on the field when he made it onto the field, he just couldn't get there for more than 10 minutes at a time. Messi made it to the next level, but in spite of Pekerman, not because of him.

A lot of big name coaches seem great, until you actually look at the specific things that they do - then they often don't seem like quite as good of a fit. I am not saying that Pekerman doesn't have a lot to offer in certain situations, just that we need to do a lot more thinking before we go hiring the biggest name that we can think of. We need a good fit more than we need a big name and Pekerman doesn't look like a good fit to me.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    best foreign coach for the us is one with a record of overachievement for the available talent. visionary types aren't a great fit as there isn't the money to 'restructure' youth development short term ala germany.

22. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Just because no one is the perfect fit, doesn't mean that they're not a good fit. It's like some are expecting Sir Jesus Wenger Ferguson to descend from the heights of Soccer City Stadium....

23. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We nee Klinsi then Jogi. Exactly in that order ;)

Seriously though, I believe we need at least a "Klinsi-type", complemented or followed by a "Jogi-type".

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go here:
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/distanceandspeed.html

Note how even now, with an additional game played (albeit without overtime), there are only 2 Germans ahead of Michael Bradley for distance covered. Compare with Landon Donovan, and there are 4 Germans with more distance than him. Clint Dempsey(!) Famously "lazy" Clint Dempsey, has only 5 Germans ahead of him, most of whom have about 50 minutes more of playing time... spread out over an additional week!

I'd say we are just as physically fit as the Germans... or rather, they are just as fit as we are :D IOW, the Germans have adopted our fitness techniques and combined it with their soccer skill. Guess which side we need to improve :cool:

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    john obrien and jason kreis?