Most aesthetic German club emblems?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Kampfschwein, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nahkampfbiber

nahkampfbiber Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know that the fans are violently opposed to the new logo (one of my colleagues is a die-hard Eintracht supporter).
    But you have to agree, that (even if you just barely skim through this thread) you guys could have been screwed sooo much worse.
    The rhombus is an interesting shape that let's the teamcolors really shine, the lion is nicely pictured and there's no shitty typography (+9000 in my book).

The shielded lion works better, but the round crest on your kits is too boring for a club like that, in my eyes. I think the new badge is the most visually pleasing and fitting so far.
    Also the new crest is sooo close to it's predecessors, I don't see the problem you guys have with it.

Tradition isn't better by default.

Just look at this Werder Bremen Crest:
    [​IMG]
    wtf?
    Aren't you glad they changed it.

Wasn't it designed by a Bauhaus member, or something? I might be wrong and don't find anything on that on the internet.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, firstly: it's a rip off of HSV's logo. The lion is almost identical to the one on the city shield in either case (the current logo uses the modern version, other logos had older versions - the crest used on the kits in the 1960s was pretty much the city shield only without any "design").

And the look of the logo is by no means the important part - the new one (well, it's 30 years old by now, so not that recent) isn't that horrible in that aspect, although then it was a pretty transparent attempt at looking "modern" and stand out more by chosing a that's less common. The point is that it's not the logo that's considered to be the club's real symbol by fans.

And this is also the club were they had to trash a new kit design just a few weeks after it was presented because of massive protests caused by the fact that the blue was too dark.

This was a logo drawn by a high school student which was in use for 2 years or so. Something that was used once, for a brief time, isn't a tradition. Not exactly comparable to changing a logo that was used for decades, or even well over a century.

Don't know who designed, but it's basically just a maritime signal flag in HSV's colors (and that's also what it is meant to look like).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

3. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Braunschweig's rhombus is positively inspired. Much better than a shield, imo.

It looks great. Say on the new stadium facade:

[​IMG]

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I don't think Hertha fans are the target audience, though. There's a reason why it hasn't been on the kits since 2008. It was one of the first moves of the then new club leadership, after the much hated old leadership was finally overthrown.

5. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True. I look it from a design perspective, whereas you guys look at it from the perspective of Eintracht's golden years.

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Actually, during Eintracht's most sucessful period in the 1970s the logo was a buck head.

7. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @ Kampfschwein: Why do you call the logo a rhombus. Well technically it is a rhombus, but to be precise its a square. (All squares are rhombuses/rhombii). Just that this square is titled and rests on a vertex and not on its side.

Generally speaking: Rhombus - all sides of same length, and diametrically opposite angles are same.
    square- all sides of same length, opposite angles 90degrees.

IMO, if it a question of symmetry a square trumps a rhombus any time. :)

8. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How many angels can dance on the head of a needle?

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Raute (= rhombus) is the heraldic term for this shape in German. The English technical term for Raute in heraldry is actually lozenge, though.

http://apl385.com/gilling/hsubs.htm

10. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fortuna Dusseldorf, such an ugly amblem for a beautiful city.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The burnt eagle gets my vote ;)

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sans mullet or with? ;)

13. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    mullets rule all!

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Der Kotzadler siegt

[​IMG]

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    YES! The club will let the members vote on the return of the old logo, and even better: the vote is this month.

Progress!

16. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any idea how the vote will go?

Hope aestheticism will prevail against kneejerk traditionalism.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Among the fans it won't even be close. The big unknown are the non-fans within the club - hard to say what they prefer, or if they care enough to vote.

18. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the lilies have been mentioned yet. Also very iconic.

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Return of the round crest as sole club logo in 2012/13.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And that term is also used in stamp-collecting in the US. The "Raute" or lozenge often comes up as a watermark design, especially in German stamps in the late 1920's through early 1930's.

22. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A couple stand out for me. HSV for its simplicity, MSV Duisburg's older crest (without the addition of the zebra) and FSV Mainz. Then there's Dynamo Dresden's "D" and wheatsheaves which has a classic look to it.

As for the bad ones, there are some stinkers in the lower leagues - way too many to list. Of the 1. BL sides Leverkusen's looks like it belongs on the side of a packet of pills, Hoffenheim's looks like that of a Sunday league side, and Kaiserslautern's just looks, ern, rude.

I have noticed that a few of you don't like Union Berlin's crest - well, it's rubbish but in a good way. It is as if it was designed in a deliberately bad way with Ostalgie in mind.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern, as much as I hate them, is also a classic. But of course I fell in love with "Die Raute" of my Borussia a long time ago. Of more obscure ones, I always liked Wattenscheid.

24. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not for a German which in this case is far more important than any English speaking sensitiveness.

25. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heh, I never made that connection. I see how Anglos might be quite prone to doing so, though.

Anyway, I guess I'll now never look at that emblem in quite the same way. In any case, I loved how they f1cked Bayern in that last game! :)