More important? Wearing the same T-shirt or singing loudly for the USA?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by metroflip73, Aug 8, 2005.

1. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering which is the higher priority.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sing of course.

And as i've said before. First we have to agree that red is a crappy color. Then we need to decide what to change it to. And since we can't agree if red needs to go, then there's no way in hell we're gonna decide what to change it to.

And even if we did agree what to change it to, it'd only be a couple of years before someone starts a "Don't wear blue, wear white instead" thread.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it would be in everyone's best interest to follow through, no?

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    No contest. The visual effect of having a "sea of red" is nice, but cheering loudly for 90 minutes is FAR more important.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anyone who's "contrarian like that" shouldn't be at the stadium. Going to a game is not about watching it for your amusement, it's about participating and being a part of it.

6. eljewe

eljewe New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wisrapidswis
    I voted contrarian like that. I'll still be going to the game and cheering my heart out. Just can't promise to sing the whole time. I'm shelling out way too much cash, not to enjoy the whole show. If that means I'm not enough of a fan, too bad. I will be wearing a us jersey and so will my wife, sorry no red.

7. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bruce Arena better not show up!

He wears no red, and hardly ever sings.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As far as I'm concerned the show is you - the fans - participating and pushing your team forward or lifting them up.

I think if you're cheering most of the time or standing up and following everything and trying to cheer when you can, that's plenty. I wouldn't consider anyone too little of a fan for not singing for a full 90 minutes.

You see, my point is about participation and you picked someone who's actually participating in the game.

Perhaps I should break it down into two separate parts:

1- Fans should go to the stadium to be a part of the event, not to watch. That's how I understand going to a game.

2- While I understand participation as standing up and cheering and singing and generally trying to do as much as possible (within limits - don't anyone start beating straw men on this point) to encourage your team, other fans may understand it differently. After all, I grew up in a different culture than you did.

That does not mean that someone who cannot stand up and cheer for 90 minutes should not be allowed to go or should be shunned, but ideally, everyone who goes should want to play a part in that event, whether they can stand or not, can sing or not or whatever. I don't think it's at all a good idea however to go to a game and sit down and watch.

9. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Of course, I voted for singing. I don't think you have to sing a full 90 minutes to be effective, but in my opinion you gotta sing. I have seen several soccer games where a lot of people singing and chanting for their home team not only strengthen the home team, but also rattle the visitors as well.

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the option for "Why not both?"

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I chose not to put one due to my wanting people to make one choice.

Like, "If you had to pick one thing...which would you pick?" That sorta thing.

Now, howza about people follow through with the singing part?

I know I will in H-Ford and C-Bus. Who else is down for trying to go all out?

12. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Metro my man, count me in. My only USMNT game was USA vs Paraguay (friendly in Columbus) and boy i thought that was a rough time with all the singing.
    I have seriously been practicing for this match though, im tryin to go all 90 minutes, plus the after party.

Im bringing 4 people to their first Qualifyer (not counting me) and i want it to be something we'll remeber forever.

Im singing for 3-4 hours on Sept 3rd

13. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the spirit.

Only if we had thousands more like you, willing to go hoarse for this team.

14. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    I think singing's more important. A lot of the fans of fall-spring leagues wear cold-weather clothes that aren't soccer-identifiable at all. When you hear them, though, the atmosphere is incredible.

15. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be in Hartford and Columbus. I will be signing at the top of my lungs and wearing red. However, I voted singing as more important.

Afterall, I am wearing red, but I would rather wear the jersey. For all those fans out there that shelled out the $90 for your Bobby Convey kit, I say wear it.

16. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry...I just figured if the option was available for neither...

<=<=<= As you can see, I try to do both :D

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I chose two but only because a silent group of red would suck, although supporters club veterens don't easily get hoarse ;)

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be wearing the white kit that the team is wearing. My husband'll probably wear some lame shirt his mother gave him. My daughter may be wearing some patriotically patterned skimpy thing. We'll be hoarse after the game, though.

20. LDinCT

LDinCT New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    What are we supposed to be singing?????
    Go USA!

21. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    what do u mean?

check out the Sams-Army page if you dont know any words to songs, im too tired to type some out here.

22. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would vote "both" ... except the option doesn't exist.

If "singing" dominates in the poll, that is just voice for everyone (no pun intended) that doesn't like wearing red to say "see, nobody likes red"

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Both, I'm easily manipulated... :D

24. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    First, those of us in the Sams section are there to provide atmosphere & support to the team, period. Singing always comes first. We are not there for a fashion show.

That said, in the words of Luiz Guzman, "Where what you dig." With one exception.

An example from yesterday: one guy wore a club shirt all day, then changed into a USA type shirt at kickoff. Two other guys from the same club wore US gear all day and sang their fargin' asses off everywhere they went, as per usual. Trust me, nothing brought more credit to that club than those 2 guys sacrificing for the US. As for the nutter in the shirt, he was the center of derision the entire afternoon, and it looked like he was trying to draw attention to himself and his club, which is not the reason you are there on USA day.

I'm all for representing your city/state/whatever. Thing is though, at a USA game, club gear is poor form. It just is. You are there to support the USA, not to win a popularity contest for the team you think about the other 350 days a year. On USA day, it is about M-O-R-E than that.

That means no MLS jerseys, no supporters club shirts, no club nuthin. And, certainly, don't wear a friggin EPL jersey if you're an American. If you can/want to wear red, fine. If you don't, fine. But keep the club gear in the closet.

There was a 50ish guy next to me in a red minnesota t-shirt, singing all he could. He wasn't wearing a Thunder jersey, for a reason. Props to that guy. 'Nuff said.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. Club gear stays at home. Even if it's red (sorry Fire and RSL fans, but if Crew, Quakes, DC, KC, NE, etc.) fans can't wear their club gear, I can't see why you guys can.

If it's a double header, then take your club gear to change into. You'll need something to do during the time between games, and why not change into a fresh shirt that's not smelling like locker room and spilled beer.