Post-match: Montreal Impact - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 7/14) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Very carefully worded, sanitized and sterilized to boot. We'll never get the real story out of them now that they've had time to be groomed.

2. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just ask Flo, instead, and you will probably get an earful! :)

3. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The FO’s cover up is pure shameful and the hopes of having a change (Leitch as GM and Russell as Coach would be nice) come Monday morning is next to nil now that they have Wondo & TT (shame!) pushing a fake news version of what happened!

If Alashe was injured why did he blow up on Stahre, it just doesn’t wash....

TyffaneeSue, Beerking, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Absolutely. Maybe MJ won't faint, after all. :)

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    davez, DasMoots, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We have become the clown show of MLS thanks to Stahre and Fioranelli.

davez, xbhaskarx, markmcf8 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’m watching the game being rebroadcast tonight, and I’m in the 50th minute. I think I’ll stop watching when Montreal score their second. This team needs to improve an order of magnitude to be merely shambolic...

markmcf8, Quakes05 and Beerking repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, and Joe looks good.....even when he’s knocking an Impact player ass over teakettle! :D

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Joe who? we have a Joe? o_O

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He always had a great attitude. Most of our players don't seem to be having much fun, hardly a surprise.

But..."nightmare?" I think he had a different word in mind and decided it would be impolitic to use it.

Quakes05 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The ref from Los Gatos.

bsman and Beerking repped this.
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    aah, that. I recall the collision now, thanks Don.

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    A bit from MLS.net or com or whatever the hell website it is:

1. And finally, our Face of the Week goes to San Jose’s Fatai Alashe from the Quakes’ 2-0 loss at Montreal:

[​IMG]

Here is the sequence of events:

• In the 41st minute, Quakes head coach Mikael Stahre subbed off starting center mid Anibal Godoy.
    • Godoy walked straight to the locker room, not to the bench and did not interact with Stahre.
    • In the postgame Stahre said that Godoy "asked me 3 or 4 times to be subbed out."
    • Alashe was Godoy's replacement, and he finished out the first half.
    • At 45:40 on the game clock (first half stoppage), you could see Alashe pull up lame while chasing a play, an injury the coach cited after the match.
    • Alashe was still seen warming up with the subs during halftime and stayed out on the field with the XI after Stahre "asked him to start the second half so we could prepare our second sub."
    • During the sequence described above, Alashe and strength & conditioning coach Greg Tella were both demonstrably arguing with Stahre
    There are many questions left unanswered: If Alashe injured his groin just before the half, why was he out there after halftime? What was the point of letting him out there to almost take the field, only to ostentatiously sub him off just before the whistle? And what was the argument with the S&C coach about?

Also, if you look at the picture and the video of the incident... it sure didn't seem like Alashe wanted to come out.

It was a truly bizarre sight in the midst of a truly bizarre stretch for the Quakes. Florian Jungwirth ethered his teammates last week, and then Chris Wondolowski responded by retweeting (and since un-retweeting) an ex-teammate who called Jungwirth out. It seemed like battle lines had been drawn, but then after this game, Wondo tweeted his support of Stahre. Stahre's contribution to all of this was describing his team as "not just dogs***" which was, I think, meant as a compliment.

None of this makes any sense, and none of it has led to anything approaching respectable soccer. The Quakes are 2-11-6 on the season (2-0-0 against Minnesota United, 0-11-6 against everyone else), and are on a 10-game winless skid. At least their USL affiliate in Reno's a ton of fun.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, you know what? We are at the very rock-bottom right now. The only way we can possibly go from here is up!

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The second Montreal goal: I’ve seen harder shots in U12 girls rec games...

Beerking, lazlo325 and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we're a mess. I think there's worse to come. :(

davez, Beerking, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every attacker not named Vako or Hyka was auditioning for a role in “The Invisible Man”.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that sucked in sooooo many ways, it’s hard to decide where to start.

Godoy played terribly and looked like he wanted to get a red card. Refusing to acknowledge the ref, when the ref called him by name at least three times ... he’s darned lucky he didn’t get a second yellow for that. And it’s selfish. He could always have feigned injury before the match if he didn’t want to play. Maybe he got pissed during the match by the early soft goal we gave up? Maybe he’s sick of Stahre? Or some of his teammates? Or that he hasn’t had any post cup offers for big bucks in Europe? It could be any of a dozen things.

Wondo should not play in midfield. He’s too darned slow for that. Sure, he knows what to do, and he knows how to do it, he’s just too slow to manage it very well. Really, we should use Wondo as a sub, with fifteen or twenty to go.

Vako played fine, had some really good moments, and couple of goofs. But every player makes mistakes. On the weak long pass, too many of our players do that, and I think it’s because Dim Stahre has them playing too far apart. He wants us to be more direct, which means lots of long passes. But, we (and most MLS teams) do not have the requisite skill to make 40 and 50 year long passes accurately and well weighted on a regular basis. So it becomes a very low percentage way to play.
    • Cummings had some really good plays, and some goofs.
    • Shea is not good enough on defense and his crosses are really hit and miss, mostly miss.
    • We could say that every player had good and bad moments.
    • Alashe was mostly good.
    • Jackson was mostly good.
    But the problem remains that we do not coordinate very well. Either our guys are not on the same pages, or they don’t know what page they are supposed to be on, or some of them don’t like each other? Whatever it is, it’s the coordination between and among players where we really lag. And that’s on coaching.

The sub Alashe on, sub him off, argue with him on the sideline, then lie about him and Godoy both being injured (there’s no chance either of them were injured). Holy crap!! Shitshow is right.

Stahre should have been fired weeks ago for the lousy team performance, but after this cluster it is clear that he has lost the locker room. I didn’t think so before, but I’m totally convinced now. Stahre has to go. Monday would be a good day for that.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!! NOW!!!

- Mark

19. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could always wallow around here for a while.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’m thinking about how I felt in July of 2000 now. I felt quite differently the next year! :)

DotMPP and GrayBeard repped this.
  21. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was our Swedish savior Magnus?

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Supposedly in Sweden.

23. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Our ppg can still go lower. Though it’ll be harder to go down since a tie will raise it.

markmcf8 repped this.