Monterrey proposes changes to CONCACAF

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by RRS94, May 25, 2011.

1. RRS94

RRS94 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Monterrey
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    " Monterrey proposed in CONCACAF
    They also look for that yellow cards are removed when you advance to another stage

Erick Rodriguez Mexico City, Monterrey (May 24, 2011)

Monterrey had to close the final of the CONCACAF Champions League 2011 as a visitor.

For sport justice and teams to fight for being the best in the CONCACAF Champions League since its start, the Rayados suggested that the team that achieves the most points in the first phase, may decide to close local matches of semifinals and final.

Luis Miguel Salvador, Monterrey sports president, made ​​on behalf of the team this proposal, and seek that yellow cards are removed every time the teams advance to the next stage of the competition.

"We proposed that whoever makes the more points you can make the decision to play first visitor in Semifinals and Finals, all teams were present as well and supported him, "said Salvador telephone Monterrey-Miami.

"So yellow card, if you can not change to three cards per phase, then at each stage is erased, that in the first six games were two cards, if you go to next phase and you get booked in Semis they are erased, and in Semis, if you booked in the first game but the second did not, you are cleared, cleared in each stage. "

These requests made by ​​Rayados, were supported and are being evaluated in the Concacaf.

Monterrey had to close the final of the CONCACAF Champions League 2011 on the road, even though it was the best team in the tournament and finished as undefeated champion it. "

Source: http://www.cancha.com/aplicaciones/articulo/default.aspx?id=20017

I translated it on google so there are some mistakes but i tried to correct them, basically it says that monterrey proposed to concacaf to change 3 things in the concacaf champions league: That the team who makes more points in the group stage gets to decide wheter to visit first or viceversa, to increase yellow card limit to 3, and that each stage the yellow cards that you got from previous stages are erased.

What do you think of these proposals? i find them very good specially the one of the team who makes more points gets to decide where to close.

Greetings

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'm on board with cards being erased after a phase, but only because I'm not sure where else in football that rule is used.

I do like the points rule. It seems almost like seeding in American sports, where the higher ranked team gets home advantage. In this case, with home and away, the higher ranked team gets to choose where to close the round. I really like that.

3. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a good idea since Concacaf CL needs as much excitement as possible to generate growth among fans. If you look at attendance numbers of last 3 or 4 years of the quarterfinals to the finals, you'll see that the numbers keep getting better. However, how much better would've it have been if there had been pictures of Monterrey fans celebrating in a packed stadium and with streets packed afterwards.

4. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    he also proposed less games in the group stage. says there's too many and it drags the tourney on too long. i agree. based on the quality of most teams... i think there should be less games in the group stages.

5. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how would you do that? Smaller groups?

6. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    no home and away format, i would guess. maybe a neutral site for the games, though i don't think that would generate much interest. dunno, it didn't explain his proposal for less games, just that it was too long.

7. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can't see it being fair to have no home and away and since they didn't say what they meant by fewer group games I thought maybe they would want to reduce group size to 3 or something.

If they did that they could eliminate the qualifiers and have 8 groups of 3 with the winners of each group advancing.

8. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats a good idea. Under that formation, the tournament could probably be done away with in half of a year. It shouldn't take up 9 months like Europe CL. Maybe it should be the 2nd half, so there isnt any conflict w/Mexican teams in Copa lib....and perhaps one day for MLS too.

9. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always annoyed by the UEFA CL. It seems tolong to me. I suppose I can see that point as true for CONCACAF, too, but I guess since it's my zone, I don't mind. I relate better to the CCL teams, even if half of them are likely amateur.

I admit, though, I'm already eager for it to start again, after seeing an MLS team go so far. I want to see ithappen again! Now! #mls4rsl #sounders4mls

10. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selfishly I want the tournament to be shorter because this will be the 2nd year in a row that Seattle has to play qualifiers and then if they win that, group stage matches.

Combine that with 34 league games and various US Open Cup games as well as a summer Friendly against Manchester United and I could see Seattle missing the MLS playoffs altogether.

I suppose in the minds of owners though fewer games=less money.

11. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could do the old UEFA Cup style group stage with 5 teams playing 2 home and 2 away games. But would only work well if the top 2 advanced.

12. BoriQa

BoriQa New Member

May 26, 2007
    Ajax, Canada
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Had Real Salt Lake won the 2nd leg, then the closing away would have not been an issue for Monterrey, as the best team would have closed at home.

This is just plain Mexican Teams winning because they don't get to setup up the rules to suit their teams the best.

Why was this not an issue in the previous CCLs? Because the finals were only between Mexicans.

Let the rest of the CONCACAF have their opportunities.

I actually think that this year's final match outside of Mexico was a great thing for the CONCACAF.

13. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hahahahahahaha, omg inferiority complex showings are so fuuuun. Hate te mexican leaguueee burn them at the stake!!!!! make the eliminate each other!!! god only knows that no one else can eliminate then on knock out stages!!!!:rolleyes:

Being serious tough i actually enjoyed the final this time around, however i would rather see fairness and more competitive teams than what we see today. Apply Coefficients and let the league speak for themselvs, stop giving the MLS 4 and a half spots, Canadian teams in MLS shouldnt been able to compete for canada, only for the US, let the other teams in Canada compete for canada. Like it happens with Monaco, and it would had happen with Cardiff had they won the FA cup.

Canada will never create a competitive league if their best teams keep going to play for another country league.

Its only fair to have the best team close at home.
    As for the card issue i disagree completly, it would create more injuries.

14. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other teams in Canada? Next year there will only be Edmonton as far as I know. As Montreal joins MLS. Unless you are referring to the Canadian Soccer League, which as far as I can tell is semi-pro. Montreal's Academy team plays in that league.

Also, Canada doesn't even have it's own league for hockey, their national sport.

That isn't a knock on Canada's ability to play it just highlights that they've got low population. Frankly I don't think they could have a competitive league without combining with USA.

That being said, their 4 team tournament is a pretty weak way of getting into a champions league, which is why they've got to play qualifiers.

15. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's CSL and a few PDL teams, which obviously don't have much chance of winning a Canadian tourney or league, but part of me would like to see them involved, too. At the least it gives the big guys a potential stumbling block.

16. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I effing love your little hairless dog. Coolest dog God ever invented. Arriba los Californianos!! (except for chivas usa)
    Anyway, if we're dealing with changes to CCL then the biggest change could obviously come from changes to different leagues. And this is maybe a whole other thread but obviously the Caribbean and Central America let CCL down big time.
    You say you prefer CCL to Uefa even though many leagues in CCL are amateur type teams/leagues. Here's one change that could create stronger teams: have Costa Rica go down to a 7 team league and invite two from Panama's league (which is amateur anyway) to go pro. CR & Pan have a higher standard of living then central america and could create super teams (imagine a stronger Saprissa & Ala & Herediano). Panama is mainly baseball, but they could at least support just two strong teams. This combined 9 team league would very quickly develop a level of play as high as MLS and FMF. With all that extra dough, i'm sure their rosters would be filled with s. americans. Also, can SUM please please pretty please buy the rights to Guatemala and El. Salvador league then sell them at a loss to TV stations in LA, Hou, DFW, and NY. Central americans in US are an untapped market. I'm sure after a yr or two, the solid ratings would earn some bucks for those leagues, and make stronger teams down there (presuming there isnt corruption).

17. nwood732

nwood732 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would SUM take a loss to make a foreign league popular in the U.S. SUM should be doing all it can to sell them on MLS

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The best change I can think of is to eliminate away goals in the final. Its fine for the quarters and the semis. There has to be a winner in the final. With a 1-1 draw in the 2nd leg Monterrey would have lost the title with an undefeated season. Same thing last year, Pachuca won the championship over a better team (Cruz Azul) only tieing them on agg.

19. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I see your point about canada not being able to for a proper league and stand corrected, but i still find it unfair that the MLS as a league can have more spots than any other league, makes for a less respectable CCL.

20. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, these leagues ARE already Popular in the US (among those immigrant communities).
    Hardcore MLS fans are saying they got into CCL when RSL made that run. There;s not contradiction here. SUM has a ton of dough, and they can do things like this. To use an analogy, why would the CIA interfere in another country's political elections with covert dirty politics? Answer: to ensure we have an ally elected. Well, its in CCL and MLS's interest to have strong competition, and for those other leagues to be popular here too. Playing teams from central america in ramshackle stadiums of 5k doesnt help at all, especially if some US network like Fox or ESPN decides to invest in CCL. However, if tv revenue from the gigantic LA & NY markets' showing of other league's games leads to new stadiums in the Guatemala and Honduran leagues for their historic teams, then the packaging will be sweet to watch when CCL games do come on. This August, the LA Galaxy will play a team from Honduras or Guatemala. Odds are HDC might be 2/3rd filled at about 22$ a pop per tickets. Those tickets should be 60 bucks a pop and the stadium should be sold out. There are several steps to get there. One involves getting more money into these other leagues of concacaf so they can improve their rosters, their stadiums, and ultimately their level of play so much that demand for tickets from both sets of fans is high

21. nwood732

nwood732 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the leagues were popular as you think why would SUM need to sell the rights for a loss. How many years have MLS fans felt safe that the league will not fold? 5 or 6? definitely not than a deacade. Are SUM and MLS really in a position to be propping up other leagues. It wouldn't matter if the leagues were as popular as you think, because MLS should go after the Latino market for itself. What would help MLS more Latinos interested in the MLS all year long or just during the few CCL games? Your thinking along some crazy political conspiracy lines with your CIA references but this is business not politics. In business you don't build up other companies you destroy or merge with them( like what happened with baseball, football, and basketball)

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can still go undefeated and not win the CCL (other cups) if you lose in PK then officially you tied the game. ;)

True, by CCL results, the USA does not deserve more spots than Honduras.

We all know that the reason the USA gets so many is $$$$. Same reason we play the Gold Cup in the USA all the time.

Look at the attendance thread and you will see why.

Maybe in a few years things will even out and Honduras and the USA would get the same # of teams.

Also, MLS only gets 3 direct spots; technically Minor leagues could get the other 2 spots (1 for USSF Open cup, 1 for Canada Championship). But realistically they get all 5.

Also, Mexico probably deserves like 10 spots, but there should be a limit (plus Mexican teams would be pissed if 10 had to go to the CCL) to the number of teams per country and perhaps per league.

23. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not in the same market with central american leagues. Trust me, I know these central americans in LA, and they find their games online or go to bars. They will watch those games. I'm just suggesting that SUM package it in a way that feeds money into those leagues, by providing the ability for those fans to watch at home and ON TV. Also, SUM is involved in alot of other things then just MLS. Its for the benefit of all by trying to build them up other league too in whatever way we can. Imagine this: central americans or caribbean say "we want the gold cup in our country next time". What happens? Fifa will probably say, "yes, other regional tournaments are spread around their member countries so Concacaf do the same". You and I know what will happen when the gold cup is held in caribbean or central amer: no one will watch, and the tournament will lose money. My point is that we can do alot of things here in the US that can help other leagues and help us too by providing that platform whereby MLS teams can be showcased in the best possible light. Thats all I'm talking about. You seem to think its a zero sum game, that there's limited resources to go around. The soccer market in the US is still untapped, with MLS getting maybe 5percent of actual fans to tun in.

24. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The current group structure is set up so that each group can end up with 1 Mexican and 1 US team, getting in a few moneymaking games before the quarters even start... any changes will probably have to keep these intact

25. haitifrancepsg

haitifrancepsg New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Torcy, Île-de-France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Concacaf must remove the preliminary round. I'm in favor of the Platini's politic in UEFA concerning the little teams. Platini wants little teams (Zilina, Cluj etc...) to play the group stage in order to gain experience and progress, it's already worked because Copenhague has qualified to round of 16. It should be the same for CONCACAF all the teams must be directly qualified for the group stage and gain experience, confront the best teams of CONCACAF in order to progress. 6 groups of 4 teams the 2 top teams qualified for round of 16 and the four best 3rd. There would be more suspens in group stage there wouldn't be a MLS or mexican team in each group and the group must be formed for the teams performance in previous tournament based on coefficient for example. This format will , in the long term, homogenize the competition.