News: Monday , June 19, 2017

Discussion dans 'MLS: News & Analysis' créé par Fiosfan, 19 Juin 2017.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Of course if we really had a robust, independent, soccer press in this country, that'd be the sort of question that would get asked.

JasonMa aime ça.
  2. noel R

noel R Member

20 Novembre 2007
    chicago
    According to Sports business daily , MLS had a clause in original agreement with Providence to buy back shares after a certain # of years. MLS started talks on buy back at least a year ago. This is information most diehards didn't have. Well played Mr Garber.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

2 Février 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a link. I was unaware all the non MLS owners had been bought out of SUM.

I was not specifically referring to entities like Dentsu (the Japanese company) but more people who I thought had a small piece of SUM.

Does this mean that people like Garber, Carter, Sunil and the other big wigs at SUM do not own any of SUM?

AndyMead aime ça.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh my god, thank you. It was killing me.

I know Rothenberg was out years ago. I'm pretty sure Horowitz is gone. I can't verify that Dentsu is gone, but I vaguely remember asking someone at an alcohol filled league function a few years ago and was told there were no more non-I/O investors in MLS. But it's been a few years and there was an open bar.

I do not recall ever seeing/hearing anything indicating that any individuals had any ownership stake in SUM. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The last issue of the ECG was 11 years ago, so I'm not as obsessively following the front office stuff like I used to as editor of an MLS covering magazine.

JasonMa aime ça.
  5. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

27 Novembre 2000
    Portland, OR
    I love this old man thread. People who lived through it. I've been wondering for a while whether Horowitz was still a part of the thing, but I don't recall ever hearing about Dentsu.

The key point is that the youngsters like to look at the old days and point out all the "mistakes" - like, supposedly, Chivas. But really, it is amazing to see where it was back then and where it's come to now. Was Chivas a bad idea, or a good idea that was followed by a thousand smaller bad ideas that eventually culminated in total failure? Real Salt Lake seemed like a bad idea, and there used to be a lot of BigSoccer talk about our wish to relocate them, but they incrementally capitalized on small successes.

As for the Beckham conversation, both sides of that story are right. The LA fans were right to deride him for his early performance and seeming disregard for the team (I remember arguing that Andres Herzog had been better for LA); but they, and the rest of us, seem to have come around to acknowledge that he was a key to their championship runs and his influence probably tripled the value of the league.

JasonMa aime ça.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I found this:
    http://media.philly.com/documents/20150420_mls_motion_to_dismiss.pdf

As of January 3, 2012 the members of Major League Soccer, LLC were:

Anschutz L.A. Soccer, Inc.
    Chicago Fire Soccer, LLC
    Chivas USA Soccer LLC
    DC Soccer LLC
    Dynamo Soccer, LLC
    Earthquakes Soccer, LLC
    FC Dallas Soccer, LLC
    Kraft Soccer LLC (New England)
    KSE Soccer, Inc. (Colorado)
    OnGoal, LLC (Kansas City)
    Peregrine Sports LLC (Portland)
    Pennsylvania Professional Soccer LLC
    Red Bull New York, Inc.
    Seattle Soccer LLC
    Team Columbus Soccer, L.L.C.
    Utah Soccer, LLC
    Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (Toronto)
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Free 2 Play LP (Montreal)
    Dentsu Holdings USA, Inc.

Each of the teams owned 5.2344% and Dentsu the remaining 0.5465%

Five and half years ago, Rothenberg and Horowitz were gone from MLS. I'm not sure about SUM.

westcoast ape, Len et JasonMa aiment ça.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #57 AndyMead, 20 Juin 2017
    Last edited: 20 Juin 2017
    EDIT: I think the Bloomberg info is off. It was a merger of two soccer entities in Nashville
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...g-for-mls-expansion-team-unites-with-usl-club

So I'm mucking about the Delaware SOS site looking up LLC records. There are 3 1994 companies - Major League Soccer, Inc., Major League Soccer, L.L.C., and Major League Soccer, LP. Unfortunately Delaware doesn't appear to give free access to filing records, so just looking at the latest statement to see who the current LLC members are would cost money. (I don't care that much).

So I started googling to see if someone did care and did publish the info. I found the entry on Bloomberg's site and it mentioned in a sidebar "recent activity" that MLS had "merged" with DMD Soccer, LLC.

Here's Bloomberg's entry on DMD Soccer, LLC
    https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=416415444

That's interesting. I just googled "usl nashville dmd" and got this:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/788889-nashville-sc-strengthens-ownership-group which dates the article to May 4, 2017
    So, which is it? Did MLS or Nashville Soccer Holdings acquire DMD Soccer on 5/4/2017.

It's possible Bloomberg got some information scrambled. If not, maybe Nashville is a better expansion bet than most of us thought.

westcoast ape et ToMhIlL aiment ça.
  8. Blong

Blong Member+

29 Octobre 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

Looks like MLS doesnt want situations like they had in Sacramento, where the successful USL team wanted something like 50 mil from the MLS investors. So MLS bought it early, as a subsidiary, and now Ingram is a stakeholder in that property. If they dont expand to Nashville, MLS can just sell off its share and leave it to Ingram or whoever.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Andy_B, Zamphyr et JasonMa aiment ça.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think MLS owns DMD. I think that was misinformation on the Bloomberg site.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

30 Décembre 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I still have an issue left on my subscription. ;)

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's on hiatus. I still got a list.

JasonMa et Ismitje aiment ça.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #63 AndyMead, 20 Juin 2017
    Last edited: 20 Juin 2017
    The 2012 version of the MLS operating agreement is interesting reading.

Section 3.5.1 seems to indicate that the Canadian members are not subject to Capital Calls. I'm sure there's a legal reason for that.

Several sections, and at least one appendix are "intentionally withheld". I'm guessing they weren't germane to the Nowak lawsuit and/or they contained more sensitive information.

There also seems to be some funkiness with the Canadian company Major League Soccer, LP where Vancouver and Montreal (the Class J and Class K) members have their distributions funneled through MLS LP, but the Class I member (MLSE/Toronto) does not.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Here's a filing from last March. Dentsu appears to be the last holdout amongst the Class B shareholders.

Fichiers attachés:

The Franchise et JasonMa aiment ça.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

2 Novembre 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hmm. I just found the Jan 18, 2017 - 2017 Filing of the the last Annual Report. Atlanta and Minnesota are not yet included as members of MLS LLC.

16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

21 Mars 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were waiting for the special election result :rolleyes:

17. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

27 Novembre 2000
    Portland, OR
    There should be "super-rep" for posts like these. Nothing more valuable than raw, previously unrevealed, information.

Partager cette page