News: Monday , June 19, 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Fiosfan, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    You can always count on at least one good goal per game called back due to a bad call. VAR will now make every goal scored reviewed for an unreasonable interpretation of the offside rule. FIFA can't even get video review right. Hey why not review the defense diving on direct free kicks like Vidal on the Cameron goal.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Soccerglue, JasonMa and wsmaugham repped this.
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Dark horizontal stripes give the impression of being heavy and slower.

Well, that is what fashionistas tell me.:D

Soccerglue repped this.
  5. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I don't like the stars on the shoulder. That's my first impression, at least.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. And anything beats the red jerseys.

Soccerglue, JasonMa and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  8. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Agreed. Different strokes for different folks, but to me this is better than anything that US soccer has put out in a long time. I'll probably buy one.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its cool its just a little hard on my eyes. Other than that, its not about the uniform but the players who wear it....

Let's hope the new jersey brings them wins! :thumbsup:

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. The U.S. does the best with their jerseys when they embrace that they're Americans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Can't say I agree with the denim jersey, but the Don't Tread jersey still hangs proudly in my closet and makes regular appearances.

sitruc, The Franchise, Len and 1 other person repped this.
  12. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    MLS has finally succeeded in buying back SUM shares. Probably the biggest blunder MLS has made since selling to an expansion team to Chivas.

The Franchise and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  13. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Really? What was the name of the group they sold it to anyway? Was it a 25% stake? Sorry, tried to find out info elsewhere but not finding any on my quick search.

Anyway, it always struck me as a bad idea, but the cash infusion presumably helped MLS scale up to a new level in player acquisition, media, and league management. Now, presumably, they're in a place where they can buy back their previous asset.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

tripling your money, making $300M in 5 years isn't bad work if you can get it ... holy hell!

should we take from this that in 2012 SUM was worth $600M and today in 2017 it is worth $1.8B?

upload_2017-6-19_15-49-22.png

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Disagree...on both counts. Hindsight, and current situation makes everyone look like a genius when they look back after the fact, and ignore, or forget what was actuallly going on then.

1. I'm not getting into the whole Chivas thing again. Real quick. League had almost died, league desperate for any type of investor (there FN weren't any then for Christ FN sake! Why is that always simply ignored. It is not today!), and they still didn't know what would work.
    They took a gamble, and pretty much had to. Didn't work in the end after the league got legs, but Chivas as filler did the job at the time. What start up, with no footprint of success ever in this country to follow gets it right all the time? Dare you to find one. Mistake, but always blown out of proportion now if you can even remotely/honestly recall the dire situation then.

2. I personally know a bit about this deal. Yes, I am in that arena. MLS used that money to make many of the non sexy structural improvements we take for granted right now. It was a large/immediate cash infusion where someone else took some of the risk. It also singled to investors, and groups with big money that MLS was worth that risk. Guess what? It paid off.
    Do you think it's an accident that since MLS/SUM has shown that they are a good investment bet that we have had multiple liquid groups come out of the woodwork trying to get in? Do you?
    I personally can tell you that was hardly a blunder on any level. That helped raise the profile of the league with regards to financial relevance across the board. It was a stock buy back, just like healthy corporations do all of the time, and it served it's purpose.

I'm not shocked how many in the general public might perceive it as a a blunder, the same way many in the general public still think JK can actually coach, but I hope the league keeps blundering along like they are. From reading these boards for well over a decade now it is obvious that MLS has blundered into any success they have ever had. Here's hoping they keep blundering along at this pace.

16. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Yea, this was not one I cared much for; but do agree they are generally better when they embrace the USA.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Disagree. That denim number was Alan Rothenberg's barf, for me. Adidas had nicer stuff lined up. Rothenberg wanted something more inelegant and brash.

(Zoid can and will inform me that World Cup '94 would have failed without the denim jersey and this ad campaign, I'm sure)
    [​IMG]

Nothing unAmerican about these, IMO:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even think we could have beat Escobar and co. while wearing home whites.

jayd8888 and TOAzer repped this.
  19. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be misunderstanding the deal but can we now summarize that SUM is worth ~$1.8 billion? That does not seem possible.....

20. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    I agree with Zoidberg 100% on why the Chivas blunder. See the logic in your explanation of the Providence deal, but selling 25% of SUM was a huge risk and I am glad it worked out in the end. Thanks for the reason why it happened.

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Fiosfan, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017